CairnTalk

Just wanted to share with you that...

Anna_525

Or pawshake.....We've been working on this for quite a while now, more than a month, and of course he'll only do this if a treat is involved. But I am so proud of him! I was so surprised when his full paw went up when I said ,"Shake?" . I used to have to gently grab his paw, and when it would move a little, he passed the test and a treat is given.....But now, if you tap which paw you want and say shake, he'll give you that paw!!!!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!!!

:wub::wub::wub:

How cute! What a fun trick to teach them to do! I may have to try to teach Savannah once we master "come". :confused:

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Oh, forget about "come!" Alfie will just look at me and go the other way! :devil: Not unless he sees the cheese in my hand....

Glad to know I am not the only one with that problem. She comes when she wants too. I try to get her to come to me so that I can pick her up and lift her over the baby gates and let her roam the house a little. She usually just looks at me. Then I tried "sit and stay" and that works right until I get within arms reach and then she backs up! Smart little rascal! I don't know why she does it, she loves being outside the gates. Crazy dog!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Guest girliejr

I thought it was just Jack! He runs from me when I try to pick him up. I think he thinks it is fun to watch me chase him. I have learned a few tricks that seem to work, but he ALWAYS comes for a treat! Those little guys are just too smart for their own good! :P

I have two Cairns, Brody and Mia. I think Brody is half Lab, he lives to please! He comes at full speed as soon as he is called. Mia, on the other hand, does whatever she pleases! She comes pretty faithfully if she is in the house, but if she is in the yard, she barely looks up!

Booker conquered the sit command within 2 nights.

Last night I thought I'd try a shake command with cooked chicken as the treat.

Sit command was a breeze, shake command is gonna be very time consuming.

I tried grabbing hold of his paw and everytime he'd jump backwards. I'm gonna keep working on it...................jan

jan

He who laughs last thinks slow.

In another website, not specifically for cairns, I read that the shake command takes time, and it can take up to 3 months before the dog "gets it." That's why I was so excited when Alfie finally did it...and it wasn't 3 months even (cairns are really smart)...

Archived