CairnTalk

Humidity = stinky pup?

Milopup

Well the Northeast is currently going through some sticky weather, and it seems the season of the stinky pup has been heralded. :) Usually the no baths unless necessary (which means only a couple times a year) is something we are fine to follow, but when the humid weather starts, our pup seems to be more odorous. Anyone else have this issue? Usually it is just the frito feet (:)) but when it is warm/hot, the fur is a bit stinky as well. Any suggestions short of baths and perfumes?

There are several past threads about it that you can check. We found that grooming and brushing regularly really helps. The anal sacs might be contributing to the smell, too, but it goes away (we're not worried about emptying them...or maybe we're used to the smell :P ).

Thanks Anna - I did read through those threads but was wondering if there was anything else. Isn't bathing not encouraged for cairns unless needed? I use baby wipes on the nether regions and frito-smelling paws, but dont use them on the body. And the "doggy smell" is definitely coming from the body and paws not the anal sacs (those get wiped after each walk). :)

Yes, bathing isn't encouraged as it takes out the protective oils and may damage the coat. I also use the baby wipes on the body itself when he gets really smelly and dirty, it works for us. We find that right after a bath, Alfie also exudes a certain smell - sort of in between wet and getting dry - that we actually find stinkier than his usual smell. Pretty soon we'll try stripping. I'm almost sure this will also help!

Anna,

Have you found a place in New York that handstrips pups? I have been looking for one to no avail so use the MCK on my pup as a compromise to only clipping. Please let me know if you found a place that handstrips - maybe that would help the coat and the stinky smell. :)

Hey Milopup check this out from the Housatonic calendar of events -- how far are you from New Paltz? Not sure if the Buessings are the groomers but I'm sure they'll tell you more information-

Annual Grooming Clinnic

10AM

At the Buesings, New Paltz NY

Contact Ellie Buessing at for directions at.845-883-7257

I use the puppy wipes on their backs too...helps with the body odor..at least for a day! I don't notice a smell from my dogs, other than normal doggie smells.....but the wipes help them smell "fresh". I find I use them more when people are coming over, or I am taking them someplace.

Hi Anna,

I am out near Long Island so New Paltz is a wee bit far from us. At this point I use the MCK for a few times and then I bring my pup to a groomer for a cleanup where she does clip him to make things even. I know the handstripping purists are shocked and reading this with disdain ( :shy: ) but I truly tried to find someone to do it, and when I tried to use the rubber fingertips, noting came out except a few hairs. :( Oh well, hopefully I am not damaging him too much with the combo MCK and clipping.

Maybe the Buessings know someone from LI? I was a bit disappointed to find out that there is no cairn club around the tristate area....but then again I don't have the time to commit...

As far as combo clipping and stripping is concerned, I think it's OK because your cairn is a pet, not a show dog. There are a number of cairns who are being clipped (at least from this forum). Honestly, if we can't get the stripping right, we're going straight to the groomer! :lol:

Hi Anna,

I am out near Long Island so New Paltz is a wee bit far from us.  At this point I use the MCK for a few times and then I bring my pup to a groomer for a cleanup where she does clip him to make things even.  I know the handstripping purists are shocked and reading this with disdain ( :shy: ) but I truly tried to find someone to do it, and when I tried to use the rubber fingertips, noting came out except a few hairs. :(  Oh well, hopefully I am not damaging him too much with the combo MCK and clipping.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Milopup,

If you are anywhere near E.Rockaway I will ask my sister what groomer she uses for hand stripping.

Stacey

Maybe the Buessings know someone from LI? I was a bit disappointed to find out that there is no cairn club around the tristate area....but then again I don't have the time to commit...

As far as combo clipping and stripping is concerned, I think it's OK because your cairn is a pet, not a show dog. There are a number of cairns who are being clipped (at least from this forum). Honestly, if we can't get the stripping right, we're going straight to the groomer!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anna,

Housatonic is primarily a tristate area club, it used to be the one I belonged to when I lived in the U.S. The meetings are held in Stamford CT and the shows they support each year are in Stamford and (New Paltz?) NY, the latter is on the grounds of the NYS college in that area.

If you call the contacts listed on the CTCA web site (this forum's home) I'm sure you can find someone to help. You can also contact the breeders listed in your area, some may do handstripping for a small number of clients.

Even if it's a fair drive, if you can make it back and forth in a day a trip to the Buessing's would be worth your while. You and your cairn would have a lot of fun.

Stacey

I think the best way to keep them smelling sweet is to let as many people cuddle them as pos, Rufus always seems to smell of aftershave or perfume,

when he has'nt had lots of fuss he tends to smell like an old sock! which is not nice I also use baby wipes or Bob martin dog wipes.

rufusmum

Stacey,

E. Rockaway is about an hour away from us - if you could, please ask your sister for the handstripper/groomer recommendation. :) Does she have a cairn as well?

Thanks. :)

Even if it's a fair drive, if you can make it back and forth in a day a trip to the Buessing's would be worth your while. You and your cairn would have a lot of fun.

Stacey

Yes, we were actually thinking of doing this! We think we can handle the grooming ourselves because Alfie can sit for a long time while we're brushing him or checking for ticks, but a one-time demo by a professional would be good. I was thinking more about joining the club for its activities, I think it would be fun to see a lot of cairns at the same time and exchange ideas. Stamford is 2 1/2 hrs away, it's not really that bad, but with work and kids it can be exhausting just thinking about it. Hmm..just mapquested New Paltz and it's actually close! I originally thought Housatonic wasn't tristate...I was specifically looking for NYC and nearby Bergen, NJ. I forgot CT was part of it...duh! (if my son read this he'd be teasing me)

Thanks!

Anna

Anna,you are so lucky that Alfie will sit still and let you brush him. Our pup acts like we are hurting him when we brush him, and the MCK - well there is a lot of howlin'. Grooming sessions are definitely two-people jobs in our house. :huh:

Yes, my husband was just saying that yesterday. He likes being brushed as much as he likes belly rubs! He didn't like it in the beginning, he was biting the brush, but it quickly disappeared. Keep on trying!

Hi Milopup,

I'll ask my sister about the groomer and post for you.

And yes, my sister has a Cairn too. :)

Stacey

Archived