CairnTalk

Vet Insurance/Pet Insurance

sanford

Is it a good idea to take out insurance to cover Vet bills? I live in the northeast where Vet costs can be expensive. Does anyone have experience or recommendations re this matter? Thanks!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Funny you should bring this up today....my two are at the vet today!

We take Scout and Finch to Petsmart, which is really Banfield Vet Hospital. We have, for the most part, been pleased with their services. I pay 15.95 (it just went up!) each month. This pays for all their shots, 2 comprehensive physicals (which is what they did today), all their tests, and unlimited office visits. If we did all their shots, and saw them for one visit per year, the cost would be about 10 dollars more than what I am paying now. Finch had the puppy plan, which was a little more, that paid for her being spayed.

Is it worth it? I'm not sure, but I know that they get the best medical care, and I can bring them in anytime I want, and it won't cost anything. I had to bring Scout in to get a tick taken off. I only paid for the meds (about 18 dollars). Each time to bring them in, the vet checks their weights, ears, eyes, takes their temps, and listens to their heart...even when they were just getting their nails clipped!

Wow, that is a great price for what sounds like great service. Our recent annual visit, with the requisite shots (DHLPP and Rabies), was almost $300.

I read once that even if your pet contracted virtually every doggie illness, your vet bills would still be less than the cost of pet insurance. My breeders told me it's a scam and then my Emma had a really serious illness requiring hospitalization and a *neurologist*(!), and the cat was operated on twice as well but I'm still glad I don't have pet insurance. Most vets have payment plans (which are also very expensive but still chaper than the insurance!)

I don't have this myself, but some friends who are 'snowbirds' have policies through PetSmart. The reason being, is that when they are on the road travelling, they can pull into any PetSmart to have their animals taken care of. Presently, they have two dogs, a cat and are getting ready to acquire a new puppy in the next couple weeks. They can't say enough about this plan. If I were travelling like that all the time, I would be tempted to use the same plan.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

I don't think Petsmarts wellness plan is a scam at all. We picked up the dogs, from the vet, the other day and their bill for all their shots and tests (for 2) was over 400 dollars. I guess it depends on what kind of care you want for your dog and what you are willing to pay for it. I think pet insurance is another thing?? I'm not sure, but having our plan gives us peace of mind and that's worth alot to us!

I had Chloe my last Cairn in the hospital ICU x 3 days. $1468.00. I wonder if pet insurance would have helped? :(

Debbie

Maggie's Mom

Questions:

1) Barring any illnesses or injuries (fingers and toes crossed), how many times a year should we bring our cairns to the vet for a check up?

2) How much do people generally pay for the visit+annual innoculations?

3) Are rabies shots every 3 years after the first year, or is it annual?

Thanks. :)

Scout and Finch had their check up (Petsmart does it twice a year) and they got most of their shots. The cost for both of them was about $450 (without the plan). My Wellness plan cost a little less than $200 each per year, so the plan already paid for itself. Petsmarts office visits are about $26 each. With the Wellness plan, they are free. I'm not trying to sell this plan, because it's not for everyone, but it works for us.

Guest sandy's mom

The Petsmart plan is a wellness plan - and it really sounds good! I would happily use that if only we had a Petsmart! The problem with most pet insurance is that they have limitations and not all vets accept the insurance. We adopted a retriever that developed hip dysplasia. After almost $5000. worth of surgeries (both hips) and several months of treatments, I wished for pet insurance...but then found out it would n't have covered the condition anyway....

People usually think of buying insurance AFTER some huge bill. Then of course the premiums rise. If they had "preventative" insurance that covered medications as well as catastrophic, then this might be something to consider.

If you're pleased with a "Canine HMO" which is what the petsmart plan sounds like, then it might be good. Somehow, it still sounds expensive. :confused:

Jill

Oregon

Questions:

1) Barring any illnesses or injuries (fingers and toes crossed), how many times a year should we bring our cairns to the vet for a check up?

2) How much do people generally pay for the visit+annual innoculations?

3) Are rabies shots every 3 years after the first year, or is it annual?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. My vet recommends a once a year visit.

2. Carolina's annual visit on 5/25 was $41, (this did not include $21 for heartworm meds.) This visit was a check-up and a "Distemper/Adeno-2/Para/Parvo" shot.

3. I think it depends on the type of rabies shot but I am not sure. I know my vet gives the 3 year, (which Carolina did not need this year. She will need it next year.)

Thanks - I think I am flying to Colorado for out next visit - even with the airfare it is cheaper than the prices in NY! Our annual visit (exam, DHLPP shot, rabiew shot) was almost $300!! :shock:

Archived