CairnTalk

Cairn Joys?

I couldn't get to sleep last night due to excitement about my decision to find a Cairn puppy. But tonight I found this forum and I'm not so sure.

I've owned and trained Weimaraners who certainly were high-spirited and difficult but you all make Cairns sound like little Hell's Angels---with adorable faces and pleasing configuration. Don't ANY of them come when called?

I read about lots of love and forbearance and comiseration but not much shock at rather dreadful puppy behavior. Perhaps owners with Cairns who don't require saint-like training just don't partiicpate in your forum. Forgive me, but I couldn't find an attractive feature beyond a charming way of hiding socks.

I loved the idea of a spunky, independent little dog but you all make it sound like a perpetual nightmare with only partial relief at best. Please tell me I've misunderstood you!

I think it's only natural that people come to boards like this to commiserate about their problems or seek advice, so you do see mostly the bad and not the good on boards like this. The cairns are adorable, sweet, loving, smart, tough little dogs. They can be stubborn and may challenge your authority if they think they can get away with it, but they also try very hard to please.

I think they're quite trainable. My cairn does agility quite well and learns new agility tricks easily. She likes learning new things and pleasing me, as long as it's fun and she gets a treat. I think knowing that cairns are very food-motivated upfront helps in how you train them. Coming when called is a problem, but I've seen cairns who do come. Mine will definitely sit and lay down and stay well on command, but she will only come for a bribe. It could be that she's trained me instead of me training her in this regard, because they are quite smart. Any dog can be a challenge sometimes to get housebroken, but I've never had that much problem with mine past the puppy stage.

The grooming of a cairn will be quite different than what you've been used to, but it's not difficult to learn to do it yourself. There's plenty of good info out there on the correct grooming methods. If you strip them as you should, you will find they don't shed much at all and are easy to maintain.

Personally, I've had two cairns, and before that had had other breeds, and I really like the personality of the cairn. They can be funny little dogs, they like the play, and they will keep you entertained. All the breeds have pros and cons. I'm a little biased, but I would recommend a cairn wholeheartedly.

Take care! Susan

We have four cairns currently. One, age two, will come running when you call, at warp speed and every time. Her mother, age six, almost every time. The others, not so much. Cairns were bred to work cooperatively, but had to do independent problem solving (like how to stay alive underground while harassing a badger, otter, or fox to the point where it would bolt) - this is not the same as the precision directed work of a Border Collie herding sheep. To expect to have Border-Collie-like control over a cairn is not fair to the owner or the cairn. That said, they are very trainable and a lot of fun to work with. Watching a Cairn in obedience reminds you of the joy you're supposed to see in a team working in partnership. Agility likewise.

Among the five cairns we've had, two are Master Earthdogs and have CDs. Two are Junior Earthdogs, including the two-year-old. We occasionally train with cairns who are working on their UD; know several locally who are CDX or working on their CDX; Cairns who are therapy dogs; and being Cairns, some are drawn to the theatre for Wizard of Oz productions :wink:

Also, what Susan said.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 1 year later...

I have a friend who has Weimaraners and Cairns. She does performance with her Cairns so they are trainable---you just have to know how to motivate and have fun with the training.

Lynda Hammel

Good morning,

Yes, Cairns are very headstrong so you must be just a little more so but they are well worth every moment spent running after them. Do you know anyone thathas a Cairn? That may be your best bet. Spend the day with a Cairn and see what you think. If you want a terrier but want one that will be more docile (can terriers be docile :lol: ) how about a West Highland White? We have a 9 year old Westie female that will do anything and everything that we ask. I am hoping that she can help her brother, the 4 month old Cairn to understand house rules. He's getting better. He did actually run in my direction when I called him.

Good luck with your choice but please make sure you understand what a Cairn is all about before you jump in. They are not neccessarily lap dogs just because they are small. If you want cuddly on command look for another type. This may not be a good fit. If you want total loyalty and tons of fun this is the baby for you.

Hi....Yes, I can see where reading our posts one would think a Cairn is a tazmanian devil dog and they can very well be. BUT, I think the more time, effort and energy you put into your pet is what you will get in return.

I have 2 Cairn females, a 10 year old and a 8 month old. Winnie is my oldest and comes every time I call her. She will walk besides me when we go outside (no leash), jump in the car when I open the door. I can say to her "Night, Night" and she will prance down the hall and get into her crate. She may come right back out but I never told her to stay in there :D

Madison, on the other hand is still learning. It's funny, I can call her and she'll just look at me but if she's running away and I yell "Madison, sit", she will immediately sit down. She will run to me from wherever she is if I say "Cookie". She will drop something that she has in her mouth if I say "drop it". She has a different personality than Winnie and she is still very much a puppy but at night they both cuddle up with me on the bed and watch TV.

I can cut their nails and they relax in my arms. I can brush, comb and even bath them without struggles. Only time they balk is when I'm grooming the backside....just not their favority activity :whistle:

Good advice from Logansmom to spend a day with a Cairn but remember they all are different with different personalities. Sometimes a breeder can successfully determine with a litter which pup has a mellow dispsition and which one is more outgoing. Of course their home environment will influence their behavior too.

Good luck!

Simply put, all Dudley needs to do is give me or my wife a look with those dark brown eyes and Ewok face, and any and all problems we might have with him go away in an instant. :wub: The love he gives so much outweighs his occasional hard-headedness, that any problems he's caused are easily worth it.

I also agree with earlier posts, I think many people (including myself) originally found this site because they were either researching the breed, or trying to find a solution to their problem. Therefore, you see more topics on problems and issues with Cairns.

I know you might have some doubts, but think of it this way: Cairn Terriers are a breed that will keep you engaged with them much more than most breeds. They are not high-maintenance, bu rather are centers of attention in many ways. And, most importantly, they are not BORING! :P You will not regret the decision, I promise. Good Luck!

I wouldn't let anything you read in these threads persuade you to not get a Cairn Terrier. I read a lot about them before we got our little bundle of extreme engery.

I'm glad I got a cairn and frankly I wouldn't any other breed. If you train them properly they will do anything you ask them to, of course sometimes they'll do it on their own time but a lot of dogs are like that. Find a breeder in your area and spend some time with their dogs. Don't make the mistake of not getting a Cairn

Terrier because we all love our dogs so much we have to tell everybody about them. Their funny, :whistle: energetic :devil: and most of all one of the most affectionate :hug: dogs I've ever owned. :halo: I love my MURPHY!!!

Hi! Throughout my life I have raised only large dogs - - three of them Golden Retrievers - - and thought they were the best breed going. Then my daughter introduced me to the world of Cairns by surprising me with one after I had to put down my last two dogs.

Honestly - - - I cannot imagine my life without Riley!!!! He is the most loving, entertaining and "somewhat" obedient lil guy!!! He is truly "the joy of my life"!!! I love, love , love this little dog!!!! My husband and I think he is more human than animal!!!.

I think if you can get through the first year of puppydom - - you will be pleasantly surprised by the amazing little dog you will have!!

I agree with everyone else here... we all love terriers, especially Cairns, but the bottom line is: terriers aren't for everyone.

They require effort (lots of exercise and training), but I believe it's well worth it because they have so much personality and are so independent. They are the perfect little dog for people who don't like "little dogs" - if you know what I mean. Cairns will never be accused of being "foo foo dogs!"

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

This is my second Cairn and I do not think they are unruly or untrainable. High-spirited yes, but mine actually behaves quite well. She's just turned 1 year old, and does extremely well. She does come when called (not always on the first try) and she obeys me quite well too. She is extremely loving and playful. My first one was not quite as well-trained as Piper because 1.) I worked full-time when we got her and was not home to train her as thoroughly from the get-go and 2.) we were much more lenient with her as a pup because we did not have any children yet. I think you're getting a somewhat unfair picture of the Cairn from this website since people come here when they are having problems, etc. If you are consistent and steady with them, they will reward you with good behavior (in between play sessions!). ;) Cairns are very intelligent dogs and learn very quickly, both good and bad behavior, lol!

Cairns are truly 'big dogs in a little dog body' and someone once told me, and I blieve it to be true, that once you own a Cairn, you will always own a Cairn. A better, more fun-loving, vivacious personality cannot be found!!

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

:D From a three year olds stand point to a three month old stand point, Cairns aren't for everyone. They are an extremely inteligent breed, with a sense of self like no other animal.

They will steal your heart away. If you are interested in these dogs go to meets, speak with handlers and breeders, go online and do your homework. Then only then will you be ready or not to share a life with a Cairn.

It is a privledge and an honor to be loved by the dogs and it is a pleasure to own one of your own. Or two! :wub:

Guest Timmy & Billy

I grew up with Labs my whole life, and when I got a condo of my own we needed a smaller dog (or two :D). We got Timmy, a brindle colored Cairn who is the sweetest devil you'll ever meet. We then got Billy (a wheaton) cause it was obvious Timmy needed a brother. Timmy sleeps on my pillow, and will growl at the slightest noise that he feels is a threat. Billie, sleeps at the foot of the bed and needs to be carried out side in the morning to do his business because he is still sleeping. Every Cairn is different from birth. (Timmy 1 1/2 and Billy is almost 1) If we let Timmy of his leash, there is a good chance we would never see him again. However, Billie has had the opportunity to run free (by accident of course) and simply enjoys leashlessness for a second and comes running in.

Anyway, I never pictured myself loving a small terrier after growing up with obedient, well behaved Labs, but I will not buy another kind of dog, except maybe a scottie or norwich. Our puppies love us so much its unbelievable, and I am sure I love them more. Its a different experience when a dog takes your shoe when they KNOW they're not supposed to, show it to you, wait for you to get up and then take off so that you'll chase them. (This has happened less now that Timmy and Billy have each other) I love it, but thats just me.

• 2 weeks later...

we were told when we first got our cairn pup that you could not teach them to come on demand , but that is not true our 5 month old female will come when called 90% of the time if she is in one of her runs or playing she won't always mind on first call. she responds better to my husband than she will me... something about the alpha male , so the vet says. she is with me most 24/7 and i'm soft spoken, so when he comes home she respects his authotity more than she will mine... Just like a child wait til your father gets home LOL

GG

Guest posting as: Carol

I read a lot about Cairns and I talked to people that have them before I made my purchase. My Cairn is wonderful, no where near as bad as described!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MRathke

I think, as others have stated, people on this forum mostly discuss concerns and problems. Like yourself, I came here early on when I was deciding to get a cairn. I became worried about willful behavior, but still got my pup. I am thankful I did.

Let me tell you about Oakely: He is a godsend. I don't know how I got so lucky to be matched up with my cairn terrier. He is one of the most wonderful dogs I have known. Yes, during the first 6 months of his life, I invested continuous and consistent training. He was a lot of work, but most puppies are, right? The rewards came early, however, and are still multiplying.

He does "sit," "down," "come," stand," "stay," and "wait" on command very promptly and easily. He walks on and off leash and follows the commands "wait" and "slow" like a charm. It is amazingly cute. When he comes, it is at warp speed. He was easy to housetrain. He actually does his business with the command "do it." :-) Another great thing is he is a lap dog! When he is not playing, he loves to get on my lap and hang out. He sleeps next to me, too. At other times, I can count on him being within one foot of me.

Oh, how he loves to play. I trained him to "drop it" when he has a toy so I can throw it instead of always playing tug-a-war. Oakley, as so many cairns do, has several different barks. Most of them are low pitched and sound like he is talking. Once in awhile, he will let out a loud, high pitched bark, but it is rare. I can't imagine him being more fun or entertaining. What a character.

I also enjoy that he hangs out whenever I take a shower or blowdry my hair. When I brush my teeth, he gets excited because he knows I will let him get on my lap and brush his teeth next. He lets me clip his nails and roll his coat. He is a joy and was well worth all the initial time, training, expense, etc.

Training him was not too difficult. I was mostly very consistent and loving. A few times, early on, though, I showed him I was the boss (alpha) because he growled at me when he had a bone. Now he brings his bones to me. I had read that at around 13 weeks old, cairns test for dominance. He did, but I laugh about it now. He is so friendly. He gets along with other dogs, cats, birds, children, and adults. He loves everyone! He is just a great pal. And because he is so well behaved, he enjoys a lot of freedom.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? Believe it! And with a little invested time and effort, anyone can develop a cairn friendship that will bring love and joy to his or her life. On the other hand, because cairns are so intelligent and able to learn good and bad behaviors, a cairn that is neglected or mistreated would probably become a problem. Whether or not you have the time to invest should be your decision-maker about getting a cairn terrier. Cairns want your friendship and need to to be involved in your life. Just remember having any dog involves committment. Those upholding the committment are rewarded ten-fold.

Good luck,

Michelle Rathke

Michelle, exactly!! With consistency and lots of effot early on, Cairns can be trained quite well. We found that with Piper too.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Guest lyndajoseph123

Henry is worth every grey hair we have. Also, he's agreat dog! He's loving, loyal and adorable. Wouldn't trade him for anything. The love he gives us is worth his tanacity. :P

We've had Scruffy for 4 weeks (he's 3 mo old today) How I wish I could turn back time. I had a dog as a child, but never witnessed all the training involved. I called the breeder yesterday & asked for an extra week on the 30 gaurantee. Getting this dog was the worst decision I have ever made. He nips constantly...our 10 year old daughter can't even play with him. I was ready to take him back & be done. My daughter was heartbroken when I told her, but I'm the one having to watch him constantly. Of course once I decided that was it, he's gone, he turns into an angel for the last 2 days. I'm not positive we'll keep him, but I don't hate him today. We've been too kind....we now smack him on his nose when he bites...nothing else works. He's just very active & I wasn't prepared to spend every minute of each day taking things away, telling him no, substituing toys, etc, etc. Having a puppy is VERY demanding.....& I really thought my decision through, but was not at all prepared for how hard & frustrating it is.

Anyone have any ideas about how long you really have to go through this stage....I hear they settle down in 2 years....I couldn't take it!!! Give me better news than that...I have less than a week left!!

We got Piper last summer in the middle of June. She was 8 weeks old. I worked with her consistently every day the entire summer. By August when my boys went back to school, and she was 4 months old, she was pretty well trained. I used a wonderful book called The New Art of Dog Training by Shelby Marlo. The best thing I learned from this book was to use the command 'off' for Piper to release whatever was in her mouth: hand, toy, food, etc. This greatly decreased the amount of mouthing she did. But don't kid yourself, puppies are a lot of work! However, if you put in the training on the front end, you will reap the benfits very soon. We trained with treats, a Cairn will do almost anything you ask it for food!! Also, consistency and patience are two things you need a lot of when training a Cairn. But they are super smart and will catch on quickly if you continue to work with them. You also need to establish dominance. We used the muzzle hold (explained in the book we used) to calm her down and let her know she was not in charge, lol! My husband used to hold her and say, "I'm the Alpha dog!!" :lol: It was quite comical. ;) Anyway, do not give up on your puppy. It is still quite young at 3 months of age. I promise you, if you work with this puppy every day and reward it with treats and praise, it will be your best friend for life! Piper is now 1 year old and just the sweetest little thing. Great with our kids and very loving and playful. Cairns are just the greatest dogs in the world!!

Let me start off by saying I am new to the forum and have never owned a Cairn before - but this comes from my experience with 5 other dogs . . .

First - do you have a chew toy - a nylabone puppy pacifier works great - always have that handy to redirect the biting. You definitely have to show him you are in control and don't let him get away with the biting - especially of people. You need to teach him what he is and isn't allowed to bite.

Have you thought of an obedience class? Or Clicker training? We will be picking up our little rescue in a few weeks and will be doing clicker traing with her. If done correctly it can be a life saver! It is a reward based training that Cairns should love. It uses a clicker to "mark" the correct behavior and treats/praise to reward the good behavior.

From what I have read Cairns need ALPHA owners - that doesn't mean a mean, aggressive owner - but an owner that shows him he is firm, in control and the boss. Talk firmly, voice calm not raised, and matter of factly and show him you are in control.

If you can hang in there - it will be well worth your time and effort!

Archived