CairnTalk

I'm trying to decide between a Cairn and a Norwich

Wiz

What do y'all think Cairn or Norwich? LOL

I'm leaning toward the Cairn. I'm trying to read as much about them as I can right now and I've chosen two breeders but the pup is a year or two in my future. I've only kept large breeds before and large dogs I've adopted from animal shelters. I have one Chow mix pound pup now but he is about 12.

I would like for you folks who know Cairns well to recommend a training philosophy and traing book or series of books for them. I heard that terriers do not respond well to the same training as German Shephards which are much more familiar to me.

Any other words of wisdow will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Wiz,

I'm partial to almost all the small terriers and recently went through "what breed should I get" decision process when adding a second dog. I ended up with another Cairn. Highest cuteness factor of any of the small terriers - I adore their "faces." Small but sturdy. Always cheerful. Love everyone. Very forgiving and don't hold grudges. Guaranteed to make you laugh at least once a day. Clever, but with a delightful wicked streak.

In the past I've also owned German Shepherds. Besides size and looks, here's what I find the difference are between the breeds. Shepherds are very trainable, but that does not mean they are smarter than other dogs. In thirty years of owning dogs, the dumbest dog I ever owned was a German Shepherd. However, she was highly trainable.

German Shepherds do not challenge you in the same way as a Cairn or other small terriers. They've been selectively bred to follow instructions from people. Terriers have been selectively bred to work on their own, for most of them that means finding, flushing out, and sometimes killing prey of some kind (rodents, foxes, any small mammals that at one time or another were considered pests by humans). That means once you teach a German Shepherd what "sit", or "stay" or "fetch" means - they do what you ask reliably. Training techniques that work on German Shepherds work just the same on Cairns. No difference, except in your expectations. A Cairn and most other small terriers will learn what commands mean quickly, but once they learn they consider it their choice as to how fast they respond or even if they respond. They get bored easily, whilst a German Shepherd may get bored .. but they do what you ask anyway.

I've known a Cairn owner who has done very well in obedience, last I heard she was starting on tracking with her dog. At this year's Crufts televised obedience competition there was one Cairn competing against all the Border Collies and German Shepherds. Let's just say it was good for a laugh. The dumbell retrieve was probably the slowest in recorded history of obedience competition. It was a clear statement, "I know what you want me to do, I don't really feel like doing it, so as an act of kindness on my part, I'm just going to go through the motions." That said, in the past, this particular Cairn has obviously done very well in obedience, otherwise he never would have been entered at a prominent show like Crufts. He must just have not been in the mood on that day.

All dogs respond well to positive training. The challenge for you in training a Cairn is that you need to keep it interesting for them, because they are always going to be thinking "what's in it for me?" :D If you want a dignified and predictable dog, stick with a German Shepherd. If you want a dog that will keep a smile on your face until the day they (or you) pass away, then a Cairn would do nicely.

Stacey

I dont think you can put the Cairn "personality" into words until you've owned one. They are just such characters that will melt your heart and make you a fan of the breed forever. I have to tell you though, I've seen those Norwich's and they are awfully darn cute!

Hi Wiz,

Welcome to the board. I don't consider myself a Cairn expert (or a dog expert for that matter), but I can tell you a little bit about how my family came to own a Cairn.

When my brother, sister and I were all in college my mom started to feel like the house was a little empty. She has animal allergies, but her mind started to lean toward a puppy (a non-shedding or minimal shedding breed)...someone to greet her when she came home from work. A friend of my dad's had just gotten a Cairn and when my mom saw her, she was hooked. She started to research the breed online and eventually found a breeder who advertised in a local paper. We went to the breeders to just "look at the puppies" and sure enough we brought Liddy home.

Except for a couple hermit crabs and hampsters, my family was foreign to pets. Training Liddy wasn't easy (especially for a couple of rookies), but she's a great dog and really responded well. One thing to especially note is that Cairns have A LOT of energy, so playtime is almost a constant. I won't say she goes without accidents in the house and her listening is definitely selective, but I definitely love having her in our house. :wub:

Thanks to all who replied. I'll add your posts to my collection of information. I was at Petco yesterday looking at the books on training dogs. There are a LOT of conflicting philosophies. Which worke best with terriers?

Thanks again. Cheers,

Wiz

Personally, i think books (theories/methods/techniques..etc) on dog training are like teaching aid/books/theories/philosophy...etc on golf swings...there is a never ending supplies of new ideas and quick fixes, and they always write in a weird language that you dont realized that they are either repeating what they said or contradicting what they said earlier...i think ultimately, it is really upto the individual dog and person. It is just like raising a child. There is no absolutely right or wrong way to do it. We just need to get to know our dogs and find out as we go. BTW, my wife and I are still trying to figure our 1 1/2 YO Pepper out...he is just so weird sometimes...

Andy

Archived