CairnTalk

Training

Guest Haviris

Guest Haviris

Hello all, I just joined your forum! My mom has is interested is currently interested in getting a cairn, but we have a question!

My mom has always been a terrier person, she currently owns a schnouzer and has fallen in love with the cairn terrier. For my question, I have read that cairns are smart and highly trainable, but can be stubborn, my mom would like to have her pup trained as a narcotics dog. A good narcotics dog candidate should be bold, sociable, and inquizative which very much describes the cairns I have met. So what I am wanting to know from you experienced cairn owners is do you think this is a job a cairn could do? And why or why not?

For the most part I would say no only because they can be distracted easily.

They are extremely intelligent, smart and fearless (most of them) and yes, stubborn.

I can picture my Elliott sniffing a suitcase at an airport checkpoint when all of a sudden he spots a mouse scurrying down the hall....he's off and running doing what the Cairns do best.

If you want a breed to sniff out rodents, a Cairn fits the bill.

Just my opinion.

I take Rebel to work with me. I work in a large jail, very often the Rapid Response Team has asked if I would consider training him for drugs because inside a jail is a great place for a small dog because of the size of the dog. The would not intimidate the inmates and can move around easy in a small cell. I decided not to do it because the county would have to own my dog because of insurance liability. We even thought about getting a grant to try. But I decided against it because he is my dog and since I am a civilian I would not be the one taking him in.

In Europe they use small dogs in jails and to check mail for drugs and guns. All of the guys think a Cairn would be great because Rebel is so smart. You can take the dog to a training center and they can test him/her to see if they have the aptitude for this. It is a great idea and in the right setting a Cairn would do just as good as some of the smaller breeds already being used. It would depend on their smelling ability and temperament both of which they can test.

It is funny to see Rebel at work the Deputies love him and so do most of the Inmates who get a chance to meet him. He is good for stress management. Giving kisses and playing ball with everyone.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Guest Haviris

Thanks so much, those both give us something to think about!

This dog will be working at a trucking company and we had desided a smaller dog would work best, we had originally considered a dachshund but then stumbled over the cairns and my mom was in love.

I can't find the reference right now. I swear I read an article - possibly even in our local paper - about a Cairn that worked the luggage belts an an airport, as a drug dog. It all depends on the drive and personality of the individual dog I suspect. Heaven knows Cairns have the nose and curiosity for it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Haviris

Thanks! She's desided to go for it! She desided she wanted one either way so we are picking up her new baby girl either tomarrow or Tuesday! We're so excited!

Archived