CairnTalk

older cairns

Toto times 2

Just a quick question. What ages have your cairns lived to be. My boys are 9 and 10 and almost as playful as when I got them but I start to worry when when the vet calls them senior dogs. Just wondered what people's experiences have been. Thanks.

Barb, Ghillie and Smokey

My Winnie is 11 & 1/2. She starting slowing down around 9 or so but with 2 other Cairns around, she does go into her playful mood quite often. She loves to play ball with the wiffel ball and bat but I make sure to keep those retrieving sessions short. She sleeps more, barks the same :lol: but loves to chew on her special toys.

Every year she gets her senior check-up complete with bloodwork and the vet said she had the teeth of a 5 year old.

My oldest Cairn just turned 13 last month.

She, too, has slowed down considerably but does still have playful moments. During her last check up the vet said she was in great shape for her age. So, not sure what to expect, either?

I do believe that my younger Cairn, age 2, has 'helped' keep her younger.

My neighbor recently told us that they had a Cairn live to age 21!!!! Wow!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Lucy was 13 years 11 months when she passed away. :(

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Guest Rhonda

I was reading this wonderful forum for a few days now. I have to comment and tell you, my Missy a cairn terrier passed away this past November at the age of 17

She was diabetec the last 4 1/2 years of her life. At age 13 she was diagnosed, treated with insulin 2 x daily. We now have another little cairn terrier, Kramer whom is 6 months old that our 10 year old son wanted so badly. I think cairns are strong willed little dogs and fight hard.

Missy died of liver failure. I'm learning all over again about puppy training etc...

It's been a long time and you forget. Having the puppy has helped me cope with life, still very hard excepting my girls death. We had bought her 2 weeks before our wedding. She was my little girl and now my forever angel.

This is a wonderful forum with such valuable info and wonderful loving pet owners.

Rhonda

I just registered and added a photo of Missy.

kindly,

Rhonda

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Archived