CairnTalk

Questions about Cairns! Help!

Pearly

Hi, I'm new to this site! I am seriously thinking about adopting a Cairn terrier from a shelter near here. He seems like a fantastic dog and I'm in love with him but I want to give him the right household so I'm looking for any advice or suggestions you wise Cairn owners may have! I have a lot of property and own my own home, I do have a large area that is fenced in around my house so I think it's ideal. My reservations stem from my having three cats already and a four year old boy. Do Cairns tend to get along well with cats? I know they do great with kids so I'm not worried about that. I'm home every day as is my son, no left alone a long time ever. The dogs that have lived long happy lives on my property (I grew up here) were a Bichon Frise and a Daschund. So what do you think? My cats are pretty friendly and all go outside and apparently this dog has lived with a cat before. Do you think we sound like a good match?

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions you may have!!!!

Pearly

Hi, and welcome to Cairn Talk!

It sounds like you have an ideal situation in regards to the fenced in yard, being home all the time, and the age of your son. It's hard to predict what your experience will be, but you have a great chance of making it work. We have a cat and she has learned to ignore the dogs, and the dogs pretty much ignore her, although the puppy will still chase her sometimes!

Maybe what you could do in helping your cats, is rub a towel, or rag, on the dogs face and bottom. Present this to the cats a few days before the dog comes home. This will give them time to get use to the dogs scent.

I hope others have suggestions, and good luck with your decision....Cairns are wonderful dogs!!!

Hi Pearly. I have a cairn and a cat. My cat is 2 years older than my dog and they get along great. They are close in weight...big cat at 16 pounds! Every morning it is Carolina's routine to chase the cat out of the bedroom and downstairs, (she stops at the top of the stairs!) Once in awhile Carolina will submit to the cat. This often happens when the dog and I come home from being someplace and the cat wants to sniff her. They go back and forth being alpha with each other but never fight. Now you won't ever find them cuddled up together as they don't fully trust each other. If one of them is lying someplace and the other one comes up too close, someone will get upset but they never fight.

Thanks for relpying so fast!! My cats are different ages, one is about a year and he loves all, no dog would upset him, then theres the middle ager who thinks she's the boss and ye olde fatty girl who does not want to be bothered but if she is all she does is complain-never scratch. I'm hoping to rescue Frisky (wotta name!) asap because the breed is so well loved I feel like it's hard to go wrong here. Frisky is listed at Petfinder in a shelter in Shelton CT. SO CUTE I can't take it.

Thanks for your input!!!

Pearly

I had a cat before I got my first Cairn, Winnie. I remember Winnie lying on our deck sleeping in the sun and Calvin, the cat strolling in from a day out in the field. She walked up to Winnie and started rubbing her face against her...it was such a touching sight.

Archived