CairnTalk

Cairn Alarm Clock

grillywarren

Just curious if anyone else's dog does this? Grilly loves

to wake us up. He loves to come to the side of the bed and

scratch the mattress. He will run away if I try and pick him up. Then he runs

to the other side of the bed and scratches there. So up and out we go!

He is so darn cute! He even does this to my Mom when she watches him.

(my hubby always takes him out after the nightly news 11:30, so

I am not sure it is a bathroom-related wake-up call) I think he just likes

everyone to be up! When we have guests......you guessed it! So funny...

he'll sit at the door of the guest room and if you open it he jumps on

our guests!!!! :shock: Our friends and family all know this :twisted:

side of Grilly and they still decide to stay with us???

Any other Cairn Alarm Clocks out there?

Oh yes. I no longer set my alarm clocks in the house, because Harley has never failed to wake me up when he is ready for me to be up. :D Once in a great while he will let me sleep to 8:00am. I would wake up and he would just be sitting by the bed watching me sleep (how romantic :P ). But on most days he will scratch and try to jump up on the bed to wake me up. He can't quite jump on the bed yet, but when he can I'm sure that's how he will be waking up.

I wonder if during the pre-alarm clock years if they had Cairn wake up calls. :)

Those living alarm clocks are the most accurate. Ghillie just goes out of the rom and woofs but Smokey is totally silent. He comes up to the top of the bed and stands and stares at you eye to eye until you wake up. I think it is just force of will. They get my husband up at 5:00 am but he is retiring in 2 weeks so they had better get on a new schedule (not much chance).

Scully's new thing is when I leave for work and open the baby gate in the kitchen she runs like the wind up the stairs and opens grandmom's door and jumps on her bed. Time to wake up Grandma, I'm ready to play!!! Poor poor Grandmom. :D

Rebel use to do that. He is now becoming a sleepy head in the mornings. I guess he is a teenager now and sleeping late is more fun. Although if the sun is out, Rebel is up!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

We have the oppposite here.....we have to wake THEM!

But, they DO know when it's dinner time.....and they think it's earlier and earlier each day!

Alfie is an alarm clock. Promptly at 6 am he peels the covers away until he sees us and pants in our ears. He tries to do the same to our children. :lol:

Oh my gosh...we have one too :lol:

Now that those darned birds are waking up at the crack of dawn so does Logan! and if Logan is up, the world must be up. In the winter he can make it until 8:00 am if we stop breathing and moving around 6:30 am. He waits for one flicker of an eyelid and he becomes pouncy-dog. I swear he has springs in his feet that activate only in the VERY early morning. I am sooooo waiting for those teenage years :thumbsup:

I am so glad Yoda woke me up a few days ago. I work full time and go to school full time, so sleep is at a minimum right now. I had stayed up late studying for a test and almost overslept, luckily my puppy saved the day and licked my face just in time.

Ozzie learned very quickly how to pull the covers off of me in the morning, which always gets me up. Prior to this, we would wake up to Ozzie "digging" in the pillows, the cat meowing at the dog, and our three-year-old son complaining that Ozzie woke him up BEFORE the sun woke up! What a nightmare! :P I'll take his new method any day!

• 8 months later...

Yes!!!!

Bells does this one.....without fail!! Everyday around 6-6.30ish she wants us up and wants to go outside for toliet stop and then she thinks it is play time!!!!

Sometimes she does go back to sleep though! Which is good when you are on holidays and want a bit of a sleep in yourself!

Dusty loves to be the alarm clock. He's figured a new way to wake us quicker. He stands at the side of the bed and fishes his COLD nose under the covers and locates exposed flesh, preferably the small of the back. This is a very efficient way to get the uprights upright quickly.

When my pup didnt sleep in his crate (read "re-crating/marking" thread for why he is back there) he would wake my mom up either by standing on her :shock: or else jumping down from the bed and sitting by the door - he would whine until people woke up!

Now that he is back in the crate, we usually wake him up. If he really has to go - he will give one sharp bark and wait. :)

We wake Savannah up too. I have never known her to wake up on her own before 9:00 am since we stopped having the middle of the night potty break. Usually she will sleep until one of us gets out of the bed. Whew... Sounds like we lucked out on this one! :whistle:

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Sugar is still in her crate but at 5:30 rain or shine weekend or not she barks good morning. But Rebel is sound asleep and waits until I love him a little before he will wake up jump down and join Sugar and Hammuarbi outside.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I think it is very interesting the extremes in the Cairn's....some up early others lazy heads....lol. Ours are total opposites, Abe will sleep as long as you do, sometimes longer. Scruf on the other hand, gets up and if no one else does, then he proceeds to scratch at MY side until I get up with him, occassionally he scratches at my daughters door too.

Also, what is particularly funny is when the weather is bad, or Abe is just NOT ready to be outside yet, Scruff will let me know when his is ready and joyfully looks forward to getting out side no matter the weather. On bad days Abe will just look from his perch, as if to say: are you nuts??!! Not gonna catch me out there!

That is why they make potty pads!! lol

As I type it is pouring the rain, and Abe decided to go out with Scruff, but guess who is still out there playing in the rain, and who is perched on the arm of the chair with his paw warming on the radiator watching the activity outside??

Abe and Scruff's mom

We still have to wake ours up in the morning. My DH had to actually PICK Finch out of our bed yesterday because she wouldn't get out on her own....they sure have the life, don't they??

Archived