CairnTalk

Clipped

Posey

I would like to know if anyone has ever had their Cairn clipped for summer. About down to a half inch. And if you have did their outer

coat grow back. I know about srtripping but I mean clipping them.

Posey

Yes, I've heard of some people who do that. They call it a puppy cut.

Before you do it, tho, pull one long strand of hair off your dog's back and look at it closely. Do you see how it gets grayer towards the root? That means the hair is dead. So if you take your dog to the groomer and have its hair cut, the groomer will be cutting off all the pretty color and leaving you with a dead gray coat.

I've heard some people on another message board talk about a grooming tool they use called a Mars Coat King. I've never used it because I've always hand stripped Nikki, but they say that it's helpful for people who can't strip their dogs and might be a good alternative to doing a puppy cut. I can try to find out more if you'd like.

Susan

Thanks Susan, our Nicky is just so hot natured-and I was thinking

that it may help him to be cooler if he was clipped.

I will check on that hair test too.

Posey

Posey,

If you were close by, I'd personally show you how to strip your Nicky. I had to learn myself because I couldn't find a groomer who really knew how to do a Cairn. I stripped my Nikki this past weekend, and she feels so soft and fluffy, just like a pup, because she's down to just her undercoat. And she looks so cute too.

This Mars Coat King thing sounds pretty cool, tho. Here's what others have said about it:

it works like a rake and pulls some hair out and cuts some fur as well. Because it pulls some of the fur out, it allows new growth to grow in, thereby keeping the coat healthy.

It has gotten rave reviews by the women who have used it on CPCRN and on the Cairn List.

______

it has this coil like section that grabs the longer hair... and a curly hook section that feeds the hair into either the coil OR a set of sharp edges. These edges do cut some hair, but not all. I have used hair cutting shavers (at 1 inch) to shave the dogs in the past.. you get a uniform cut of the hair... with the coat king, you get a rougher look - but it is far less frizzy....

in addition, since I started using the coat king on Duncan his hair is coming back much harder.

Hello Susan; We live in the Midwest; out of St. Louis-(I think you folks live in CA?). :D Thanks anyway for the offer to help me learn to strip Nicks coat.

:wink: But I did check up on the Mars Coat King. And we are going to get one. Hubby thinks that may be just the thing for us to use on Nicky. I did the hair test and his hair is red right to the roots. At 8.5 months it maybe that his real coat is just starting to come in. But the Mars Coat King showed pics before and after, really impressive.

:P:P

Thank you,

Posey

Hi. I think they make different ones for different dogs. This is the one that's on a Cairn Terrier site, so it must be the right one to order:

Mars Coat King Stripper, 16 blade

You'll have to let me know how you like it. It sounds really interesting.

Susan

p.s. I'm in Nashville, TN (a/k/a Music City, USA).

Try and strip your puppy if you can, as it leaves them with a much nicer coat. Last year, as I have bad hands, I let a groomer do my puppy, as she informed me, she did many Cairns. When I picked Bandie up, I was in total shock. She had clipped her down to 1/2 inch. I was extremely upset, and now I have a grooming table and do it again myself. She did get back a beautiful coat. I now just stripp her the best I can. She is really good about letting me groom her. I am going to look into getting the Mars Coat King. Thanks :D

Archived