CairnTalk

It’s like living in the Serengeti

Sam I Am

Living with a terrier , especially a Cairn terrier is a look into a dog bred for decades to hunt . Sam’s instinct to hunt   and kill small vermin obviously is deeply ingrained into his breeding..no matter how domesticated these terriers are. He rarely goes into the back yard to lounge and is forever on the look out for anything that is small, furry and moves  fast. So far this spring he has caught and killed three squirrels, not pleasant at my end but he seems very pleased with himself! His reflexes are lightening fast, the kill quick with a few shakes of his head. Squirrels are amazingly fast so to see Sam move even faster is an eye opener. Our Scottie Rosie who is turning 11 this year shows little interest as in her mind waiting for her dinner bowl to be filled seems so much less work. 

Sam is fearless, which with so many Cairns can get them in trouble..glad we don’t live out where larger wild animals roam!

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Sam seems to have quite a successful outlet for his hunting. Good job, unless  you are a squirrel I guess!

Our guys are usually frustrated by the squirrels having a head start. Some day one is going to fall off the fence, though, they are sure of it. Meanwhile crows in the backyard also mock the dogs (inadvertently, maybe?)  when the dogs are stuck inside at the sliding door. Fortunately I think the neighborhood coyotes have easier (and quieter) prey; good for us, bad for cats. 

This year the boys are *relentless* about pacing, sniffing, and snorting around the deck for whatever has made its home there.  Sometimes to the point where Elroy forgets he went out to pee or poop and instead switches mode to Deck Sleuth. 

• Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

sounds like sam hatched right out of mr macleod'a barrel. glad you don't have badgers around.

i saw a hilarious documentary series by Martin Clunes about dogs. in one of them some farmer took him to watch jack russells clear the rats out of a barn. Clunes just about swooned as a huge pile or rats appeared on the barnfloor in a matter of minutes. sound effects of squealing rats and whining terriers.

• Haha 1