CairnTalk

Rupert T Mohrenthal

Toto-lee Cairn

We bid a tearful adieu to Toto's brother, Rupert (the Weimaraner) the Saturday before last.  It has been a sad week here, with intermittent tears, sighs, and laughter, as we share tales of Rupert, and our daughter posts lots of photos on her fb account.  It was a bit sudden -- Rupert had been to the vet's several times.  First his annual check-up, all A OK, but vet said the 'old man's' joints would benefit if Rupert lost a little weight.  He added an anti-inflammatory to the supplement he was taking 2X day for his hips.  Then this Fall, we noted allergy issues, like the rest of us, and the vet had both Rupert and Toto take Benadryl in the a.m. and p.m.  Made Toto too excitable, but Rupert appeared to be tolerating it well.

Just after Thanksgiving, we noticed an awful lot of drooling, which became less clear after a short while.  He went on antibiotics for an infection (I likened it to an infection with his tonsils), and it cleared up, then came back.  Sinus infection, the vet diagnosed.  Each visit, they were doing blood tests, and comparative x-rays because Rupert was losing weight at a significant rate.  More antibiotics, anti-nausea meds, and continued the anti-inflammatory and joint supplement.  We were alarmed that in spite of increasing his meals, and adding chicken and rice with broth, he continued to lose weight.  Rupert celebrated his 14th birthday on December 9th, and every time the vet saw him, he would remind us that he was an 'old man.'  Come Thursday, we suspected something worse as he refused to eat, to take his meds, and seemed to 'mope.'  By Friday he was at the vet's who wanted us to bring him in the following Tuesday, for a few noninvasive biopsies, but we knew by Saturday morning, we would in all likelihood be losing him.  I suspect the vet knew too as he did not hesitate to meet us about lunchtime on Saturday.

Rupert's passing was peaceful.  He went, doing all the 'sniffing' he enjoyed -- his 'sniff fests' as we called them.  We were outdoors with him, and just loved on him, held him, cried our eyes out.  I couldn't help but think to myself, 'at what point might we have been willing to let him go?,' and I think in spite of our best intentions, an honest response would be, 'never.'

He came into our lives from the Tarheel Weimaraner Rescue here in central NC, and we thought it such a shame that the family that was forced to re-home him never knew how well he turned out, what a wonderful, beloved dog he had become.  His owner, who had worked extensively with 'Tango,' had died, and the wife could not keep him.  Rupert was, by far, the best Weimaraner, and the best dog, we have ever had the pleasure of owning.  Hilary wants desperately to rescue another, but George and I feel we are getting just a little too old to entertain another.  We've told she may home one, but it would have to be her responsibility (of course we'd help).

Toto, as I always suspected, has adjusted well to being an only child.  He was so incredibly jealous of 'all things Rupert' until I don't know if he even misses him.  Toto sticks to me like glue, and because he has become the only dog in the house, it has been a little easier on me to include him when I go out.  He enjoys car rides, and is well-behaved, believe it or not, when I take him on errands.  I get tickled as he still barks for Rupert's benefit -- to come indoors, as if to say "Enough sniffing already!' or time for breakfast or dinner.  He'd try to herd him from upstairs where Rupert would hide-out with Hilary, and he really got irritated qwhen she'd leave the house with Rupert in tow.  I have never experienced such a jealous little fellow.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on, here.  I am sure you all understand what life is like for us just now.

• Like 4

Thanks, Brad.  I know you Guys understand what we're missing, and how we are faring.  Woke up this morning, misty-eyed from missing Rupert's morning rousing and the (2) boys' routine.  We do share our favorite moments and memories.

Love your Cairn caricature.

• Love 1

14 - my Meeko is 14 - they are sweet old men with the well earned trait of pure stubborness ... at least in Meeko's case.  Meeko goes in spurts of good days and bad days.  Lately they have been all good, but he is a demanding little fart.  Knows just what he wants, how he wants it  and when.  Old dogs are a real gem.  So enjoyed reading you story about Rupert and yes I suppose Toto is taking full advantage of that whole in your heart.  I can just imagine him trotting around behind you soaking up all the love you have.  That's alot of love for Toto. God bless. 

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So sorry….it’s one of the most difficult “kindnesses” we bestow on our beloved pets. As a good friend once told me , none of us are getting out of here alive…so true but you sure want these fur balls to be beside you till the very end. Give Toto a big hug and in true Cairn fashion it just means more treats for him.

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you all for your kind wishes, and thoughts.  I am headed to my H20 aerobics this a.m., but will respond later.  Bridge this afternoon, which means a tough day for my little Toto (not so 'little' -- looks like a sausage).  I am so grateful our daughter is here with us, although she and Toto have a real love/hate relationship.  He is even 'jealous' of her.

Do any of you have a copy of a poem that is from a dog to its owner telling its owner to give its belongings, and your love to another dog now?  I used to send it when friends of mine lost their Fido, but I can't find it.  I always thought it sweet.  I might like to do a wall hanging of sorts for the dogs' room.  I have several 'dog' things on the wall, and I'd like to put that with them.

With the exception of this Toto, and maybe one or two of George's Weimaraners over his lifetime, we have always rescued our furry members of the family.

• Like 1

C3D1B33D-5AD1-46B3-BDC1-2909BEC7C071.jpeg

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

What a wonderful "Will". So very touching. Tear in eye to read it.

So sorry for you losing Rupert. A sorrow many of us have shared with saying goodbye to our own beloved furry ones.

Toto cannot replace him but he can help just by being his cairn terrier self.

• Like 2

Oh my.  All of us who have been blessed with old dogs know what you are going through. The phantom steps behind you before you remember he is no longer with you.  The sudden tears when you thought you were in control.

Rupert sounds like the dog of a lifetime, and he certainly lived a lifetime of love and caring in your home.

Love and light to you both.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was checking emails before I turned-in, sitting in my front room, with Toto beside me.  I saw the notices that I had messages here to check, so I wanted to thank you again.

The Dog's Will is similar to what I was asking for, and is lovely.  I do think I'd like to post something like this with the other 'dog' things on the wall in the boys' room (actually the laundry room) but where their crates are, and they bed for the night, and where I can close a gate but still see them, and them, me.  Because it is just next to the 1/2 bath where we direct guests, we find our guests speak to the boys, and some pet them over the gate, and so I add to the wall all sorts of 'dog' things.  Of course, it's just Toto now.  I could not remove Rupert's crate, but I washed his bedding, and his toys, and everything is packed just inside.  I closed the flaps to the cover, and it is just there.

Toto gets me teary-eyed, catching him sniff-out Rupert's crate, or trying to work his body just behind it like he wants to do (and gets reprimanded -- 'leave your poor brother alone').  He barks as if to call Rupert to breakfast, or to come get a cookie, or dinner.  I have to tell him, "It's just us, buddy."  I'll probably tear-up, and then bawl, when Toto stops 'calling' to Rupert because it will tell me he is no longer looking for him, or expecting him to come.  Toto will hear Hilary overhead, upstairs, and he'll run to the foot of the stairs and bark -- it is what he did to tell Rupert to come downstairs.

In the mornings, especially, he runs around the back of the house, and I wonder if he thinks he'll find Rupert there.  We did not take Toto with us when we knew we had to bid Rupert farewell.  We thought it better to let Rupert go in peace -- Toto always aggravated poor Rupert.

Our previous vet came to the house to help us in a situation like this -- he did for our Jack Russell, Cosmos, and then later for the Weimaraner George had, Maxx -- and he explained he thought it best for the family and the pets to be there, saying an animal understood death, but not just 'disappearing.'  It struck me as so kind, and caring, and humane.  He and his assistant would allow us time with the dog, and then we'd excuse ourselves, put leashes on the other dog(s) and go for a walk.  When we got home, Dr. Munn would have left with our pet.  (We have them cremated, and get their ashes later.)

Anyway, I ramble.

Thank you for your kind words, and for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  We know it will get better, but it certainly hurts like bloody hell.

• Like 1

I’m so sorry to hear of this huge loss in your family. I’m glad you have Toto to keep you company and entertain and comfort you. 

• Like 1

Two weeks out, I think, and we are all mucking-in-the-mire here.

Toto 'looks' for Rupert, but I think he is enjoying being an only child.  I washed everything of Rupert's, put it in the crate, and closed all the flaps.  It sits in the laundry room, beside Toto's, but I just haven't been able to break it down to store elsewhere.  That, and Toto uses the top of the large crate as his 'perch.'  He likes to get on top of it for his naps.

He has stopped barking for his brother, like he used to, so I think perhaps Toto no longer expects him to come down the stairs for breakfast -- last several months Rupert would 'hang' with Hilary in her spaces upstairs.  She misses her ballgame-watching buddy, and has hung his UNC and Carolina Panthers bandannas over the doorknob to the tv room.  I can't recall if he joined us for soccer, which is about the only game I understand.

We found a Weimaraner via the rescue group here, but he had been homed.  I think it's too early, and George and I had discussed these two (Rupert and Toto) being, in all likelihood, our last dogs.  It concerns us that, at our ages, dogs might actually outlive us.  Senior dogs have a hard time finding homes, and we don't think it's really fair to them.  All of that said, if Hilary wants another, depending upon the dog, etc., she could get one for herself, but her job puts her on the road several days each week during the academic year.

But, I wander here.  Sorry.

It's always great seeing, in my email, that I have a message from you Guys.

• Like 1

I know our  life  would be off kilter without a hairy face greeting us each morning, making us go for walks everyday, and the enthusiastic greetings we receive even if we step out for ten minutes without the dogs. In our case especially a terrier be it a Scottie or a Cairn.  We both are of a certain age where a pup could outlive us, however both dogs are in our wills to people we trust to look after them should they outlive us. I don’t think we could put up with the antics of a pup anymore(when we got baby Sam we had forgotten a pups energy level and care) but if we live many more years I would certainly think of getting a mature dog, again with a proper care giver should it outlive us.🐾🐾💕

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I know our  life  would be off kilter without a hairy face greeting us each morning

Aptly put, Sam I Am.

As a child, I had a Beagle -- Dad's hunting buddy, but my little fellow the rest of the time ('Shindig,' because of his white go-go boots).  We followed the Beagle with a German Shepherd, that my father worked with, and trained.  He had had a German Shepherd attach himself to Dad in Korea, and Dad, not the dog, was re-assigned, to the dog.  I've always thought it'd made a wonderful children's book.  Fritz was also my dog, second to Dad, and he would follow commands from me.  He came into our lives as a puppy to be a guard dog, make my Mother who had polio and was handicapped, feel more secure in the house.  We had to re-home Fritz when neighborhood boys, with little parental supervision, would traipse up the alley behind the house, and poke sticks through the fence teasing the Shepherd.  He went to a wonderful home, in the middle-of-nowhere where he guarded the house, and family, and protected the family's little Mom-and-Pops store and gas station at the edge of his property.  He protected the store, the first week, during a break-in.

Over the years, we would take-in a stray here and there, and I had an assortment of beautiful cats.

My first dog was another German Shepherd, a beautiful female, Schnukel.  I was teaching, however, and felt I just did not have the time to devote to her, and re-homed her with a family with a large tract of land, and Schnukel lived a long and happy life.

George grew up with Weimaraners, and just loved them.  Some were a bit 'neurotic' (very much 'velcro' dogs) and when Hilary indicated she wanted a dog of her own, we put the responsibility upon her to research breeds, and present us with a few choices.  She leaned towards smaller dogs -- a Bichon Frise, a White Westie, and a Jack Russell.  Never could find a puppy born at the right time of the year, but we did luck-into a JRT that had been sorely abused, just a little over a year old.  Cosmos turned out to be perfect, given time to learn to trust us.  He kept us in 'stitches' with his antics.  This is the fellow I've shared stories of -- climbing ladders onto 2nd-story roofs, 'bossing' the hunting dogs our brother-in-law had, digging his way out of the house -- rather, trying to -- and becoming absolutely delightful.  He'd make for the subject of another great children's book, entertaining us until he died of old age at 21.

And then my first 'Toto.'  He came into my life when he was (9), having lost two owners to illness and death, and he was my best little buddy until he turned 18.  He and Rupert were close, and Toto had been with us the latter part of Cosmos's life.  It was so sweet to watch Rupert look out for Toto, and Rupert went into a depression it appeared after we lost Toto.

Then this stinker.  Oh LOL!, but your comment re: taking on a puppy.  I would swear there were times when Rupert would look at George, look at me, as if to say, 'what were you thinking?  we had it S-O-O-O good.'  

And now it's just my second 'Toto,' and while I know he looks for Rupert, he seems to be content as an only child.

Could there be another dog in our lives?  I won't rule it out, but I can easily see where life can be good, as the saying goes.  Toto will be (5) come May.  He is settling-down, but continues to be quite a barker, which makes us all crazy.  But he is full of antics of his own, and we all (3) dote on him, in different ways.  I'm hoping that eventually Hilary will warm-up to him -- she thinks he's over-indulged, spoiled, demanding, and the barking just sets her teeth on edge.  She pointed out to me, one afternoon, that I was not a 'particularly good dog Mom,' and after I shook my head in some agreement, I commented, "Well, that's interesting.  Does that explain you?" and proceeded to try a few commands with her, with about as much success as I sometimes have with Toto. 

Bribery.  I have found bribery is a powerful incentive.

• Like 2

I get great enjoyment reading your stories about your dogs and their antics! 

Toto #2 a barker, demanding, spoilt…yup that sounds like our Sam. I kind of pride myself that I am not particularly a good dog mum 😉….and if spoiling them both gets them to the age your dogs made it to, I am happy gal. 🐾🐾💕

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the nice compliment, Sam I Am.  I enjoy 'writing' but hope you Guys don't find it tiresome.

We have certainly had some very entertaining dogs over the years.  When I discovered the JRT is the dog traditionally depicted up on a ball in the circus posters, it made perfect sense why Cosmos was the acrobat that he turned out to be.  On the roof, up a tree (like a cat, after the cat for crying-out-loud) -- we were hardly surprised to discover yet something else he was capable of.  Opening doors to join me in the yard while I worked became a challenge, and he loved 'bobbing for turtles.'

We have a friend who named his dog, Bob Barker, which always reminds me of the tv game show host of that name.  Clever, huh?  His new dog is Betty Barker.

Some of Toto's barking, I actually understand.  He has refrained from barking, for Rupert to comply with some direction from him, as if to call him to meal times, or to get in the house as we're headed to the door.  Some of the barking just has NO rhyme or reason -- at sounds, or sights, Toto has experienced all four of his very long years here.  Motorcycles, or loud engines, sirens, chainsaws revving and cutting, blowers (sometimes), the washer and dryer which are actually relatively quiet.  He'd hear them on the other side of the wall, from my bath and closet, and bark.  Or he'd hear Rupert in the laundry room if he had sought the solace of his crate, or if he heard Rupert upstairs, 'hanging' with Hilary.  Sounds from the tv, like all of the above and/or more.  Neighbors walking in front of the house, neighbors walking their own dogs, riding bikes, roller-blading.  Toto is Chief of Dog Police here.  If he would stop when I commanded him to be quiet, telling him OK, I'm on it, it'd be OK, but it's as if he wants any-and-every one to know he's there.  He barks if he hears George, or Hilary, in the kitchen or elsewhere in the house, and he's with me.  He barks from the bathroom door if he follows me in.  NO clue there.  Demanding something, if you are standing at the kitchen counter or island -- as if to say, 'Hey!  Where's my *whatever?*'

Do Dog Whisperers help with barking like this?  Just curious.

And like you, Sam I Am, I take the daughter's criticism in stride.  Until one is a Dog Parent, or a certified trainer, I store  the criticisms, admonishments, suggestions, 'how come questions,' and the like, in an imaginary box tucked securely in an imaginary place.

And yes, we must be doing something right -- our dogs live to ripe, old ages.  Even the vets comment on it.  Sometimes, we bemoan it (just teasing). 

• Like 2

Curious…what do your dog eats?

13 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Curious…what do your dog eats?

My first Toto, a rescue, had significant issues with yeast creating an itchy coat and smell, and at one point he had a bladder infection that needed attention.  The rescue group recommended a grain-free kibble, which I put him on 2X daily,  

I feed our dogs, grain-free, and fortunately Costco here has a variety manufactured by Blue Wilderness.  Way TOO much for a 20-lb.-Cairn, now, so I will probably go back to purchasing kibble in much smaller quantities.  I'll try to make note of the actual brands next time I'm in the pet store.

That said, we supplement with things the dogs have liked, and tolerated.  And that George is less-inclined to offer every-hour-on-the-hour.  If I hear 'you wanna cookie?  a treat?' once during any given day, I must hear it 20 times.  I used to give Toto snips of raw carrot, but it doesn't seem to agree with him now.  I add green peas, green beans, on occasion, and broths from meats I have cooked for us.  Occasionally, a piece of boiled egg or left-over scrambled.  Small piece of cheddar cheese.  Maybe kefir, cottage cheese, a spoon of plain yogurt.  And Toto will, in all likelihood, scarf up most anything if it hits the floor -- fortunately nothing so far that is not recommended for dogs.

When our pups have been sick, I stew a chicken (plain) , pull the meat off the bones, and cook several cups of white rice.  I use the broth with it, as well.  The vet had us giving Rupert a canned food, also available, at Costco, trying to put some weight back on him near the end.  Our vets actually recommend the Costco 'Kirkland' brands of food, which made me feel better about giving it to them.

I set aside meats from our kitchen -- healthier varieties like chicken, but occasionally lean beef -- or make a little broth with pan drippings.  But, this is a treat usually, on the kibble.  Toto has a more sensitive stomach.  Rupert ate any, and every, thing and I often admonished Hilary and George about what they let him eat.  Hilary liked putting Rupert in the van with her, and carrying him to Bojangles.  The crew there liked him, and treated him to a plain biscuit of his own.

Our dogs eat what most dogs eat, aiming for the best we can afford on our budget and supplementing with fresh vegetables (sometimes a fruit like watermelon) occasionally dairy,  and I aim for sensible treats (Ha!, fighting with George and Hils over theirs).  I don't think their diets contribute to longevity as much as say, the total, they get from us -- proper vet care, protection against heart worms, stuff like that; exercise, indoor living and crating, lots of attention, *whatever.*  I think because they are ;family' makes it all the harder when we lose one.

And again, a short story of sorts here, when all you asked was 'what do our dogs eat?'

• Like 1

Agree diet alone isn't what keeps a dog (or human) fit. In our days ( fifty years back or more) with numerous dogs we fed nothing special kibble with our leftovers on top. Nothing spicy. Water always available. 

Later with few dogs Angus got/gets grain free kibble dry with fresh water always available plus occasional topping.  And a big raw fresh bone to chew on for a short while. No rib or thin bones or frozen or cooked as those easily crack (both bone and tooth!). Used soup bones or marrow bones. Chewing on a bone is a basic instinct to get nutrients from a marrow bone and clean mouth and teeth. A fresh bone is relatively soft. Hard to find in an urban area. Hence so much anti bone talk.

Rarely a food treat except when training. Only treats if you can call them that were playing a game or going on a hike out in the country where he runs off leash and is free to hunt for voles. I guess you could say being allowed to run and hunt is all the treat he wants or needs. Once in a million time he digs fast enough and catches a field mouse or vole. Now that's what he calls a treat!! In evening a good snuggle on a shared chair. He's 10 and a half now. 16 lbs and only ever been sick once when he caught a bug on his travels that laid him low for some days. The old standby, chicken and rice plus a bit of sweet potato helped him recover. In his pre bone days he needed the dentist. In his current bone days his teeth gleam and he never needs the dentist.

I think a lot depends on where you live We are in remote north central PA. We can hike on the game lands out of hunting season. He runs free. We can get fresh bones from a local slaughter house where they butcher the local farmers' beasts. Most of our veggies are grown right here.

Our life style makes it easy to keep him slim and trim. Basically it is nourishing food, lots of exercise and mind games, plus cuddling when he allows it, which is pretty much everyday. 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting a little easier, but each of us will tear-up from time to time:  a Carolina game on tv makes her miss Rupert, or a run to Bojangles in her van.  She has 'invited' Toto upstairs to spend time with her, and he's content to 'hang' with her until he hears Mama, and then he comes bounding down the stairs to see what I'm doing.  She hasn't ventured to take him out in her van, like she often did with Rupert. 

I, however, have included Toto on short jaunts -- up to the Post Office, or across the neighborhood to a friend's.  I wanted him to know that every car ride didn't necessarily mean a trip to the vet, although he has no problem with the vet.  That, and I'd like to take him to the coast to visit family, which is roughly (3) hours from here.  The one time George was driving, and Toto, was in his harness/seat belt, he got carsick and that was no fun.  Truth be told, George's driving can make me carsick.  Toto has done very well in the car with me, even in the dark one evening when I had to go pick up Hilary.

One of you here mentioned the 'phantom footprints,' and that is when I usually find myself crying over Rupert.  I think I hear the padding of his feet on the carpet overhead, and one evening, alone in the house, I could have sworn I heard the click-clack of his nails on the hardwood floors.  Toto barks at the bedroom door when it is just the two of here, and I wonder if 'ghost Rupert' has come to join us like he used to do.

Toto's bark to call Rupert -- to a meal, a nap, a jaunt outdoors -- has ceased, it appears.  He has replaced barking for his brother at mealtime, to barking because it is mealtime, which I find funny.  And he's become a 'clock watcher' -- 7:30 breakfast becomes raising hell by 8:00, if I am moving too slow to suit him.  He's a bit more tolerant at the dinner hour.  Maybe he thinks the good smells in the kitchen might include something for him, so he'll be more civil?  Who knows?  I have asked George to be a little more stingy with the treats as Toto looks a little like a 'sausage,' and I don't want him to put on too much weight.

I miss hearing Rupert, snoring under our bed, in the evenings when we had the dogs in the bedroom, keeping us company as we read.  The last several days of Rupert's life, he chose to stay with us, under the bed, instead of heading to his crate.  Drove Toto nuts, but I think it prepared Toto for sleeping alone in the laundry room after Rupert was gone.

And so life goes on.

Rupert's crate is still in place, next to Toto's in the laundry room, with clean bedding, and toys, and dishes just inside.  The flaps are closed.  Toto sniffs around it, and none of us have been able to pack it away.  Sort of like we can pretend he'll 'be home from school' or something (akin to Hilary being away at college).  Some of my Bridge-playing friends were here a few days ago, and while most knew we had lost Rupert, one or two didn't, and I had a hard time explaining he had died without crying.  But, we're all 'dog people' and understand those things.

And so, life goes.  Hilary has mentioned another 'Rupert' a time or two, but none has materialized yet.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Five months out now, and after George pointed out that Rupert's crate still stood next to Toto's in the laundry room, I decided maybe it was time to remove its cover, and the items stored inside, and pack it away.  This was all precipitated by the appliance fellow coming to the house to look at my Maytag washer.  (Never another one for me -- Maytag -- but that's a whole 'nuther bemoaning tale of frustration and woe.)

George carried a number of collars, harnesses, and dog jackets, with a sundry assortment of Rupert's last round of meds, and some clean large-er dog sized toys and items, to the local animal shelter.  For sentimental reasons,  we are hanging onto his everyday collar, a harness, and two of his 'dress' coats.  Our nephew has a Boxer, and I will probably gift the coats and some toys to Bruno.  Some of Toto's puppy items I'll send to my niece for her small dog.

George sits in his office each morning, with the last (3) Boys, whose ashes sit in wooden boxes (with their names and dates) on the book shelf beside him.  Their photos are also on the shelves, and often, over a.m. coffee, we muse over each's distinct personality and antics.  There's the Weimaraner Maxx, predecessor to Rupert, and my previous Cairn, also known as 'Toto.'  Obviously, I have a thing for 'Toto.'  We buried Cosmos at our former home in Wilmington where he lived the perfect life for a JRT.  He can climb ladders, and trees, and bob-for-turtles in the lake to his heart's content.

Funny, isn't it?  How each dog you ever have carves out a piece of your heart?  I have such fond memories of my first dog, a little Beagle called 'Shindig' sporting his white go-go boots; a little stray I named Lady, and we only had for a short while (she died giving birth to her first litter) and was probably the sweetest dog I ever owned; our family's German Shepherd, Fritz, an absolutely beautiful, very smart, and exceptionally well-trained black-and-tan guard dog.  He stayed in the house with Mother, handicapped from polio, while Dad was at work and we three Girls at school.  My first dog, another German shepherd, Schnukel, beautifully marked tan and black (the reverse of Fritz).  She had to be re-homed as I just couldn't devote the time to her while I learned my way around a classroom as a first year teacher.  Schnukel had a wonderful life with a family of boys on a large piece of property.

None of this takes into account my assorted 'pets' as little thing -- lizards, to my Mother's horror; crayfish and turtles caught in the creeks and ditches near our home, a mouse I adopted from art class at school (Mother only found out about that when it escaped and she espied it in the house -- 'a RAT!  a cussed RAT!' she screamed, prompting a late-night run to a 7-11 for a 'rat' trap.  It didn't end well for the poor mouse, and I was ridden with guilt for years).  Somewhere, in another dimension, lies a mouse-in-wait with a large knife with my name etched on it.

And we haven't even covered my menagerie of cats.

But I digress.  Didn't want to think too much about Rupert, who we lost after the first of 2023.  George, Hilary and I, still tear-up at mention of his name.  Only Toto seems to have moved on, very content these days as an 'only child.'

• Like 2