CairnTalk

Fenced in yard?

oregoncoast71

I have been doing a lot of research about this breed and actually got to meet one in person a few weekends ago and just fell in love. However I am just curious if it is necessary to have a fenced in yard? Where I live our Homeowner's Association doesn't allow us to have fenced in yards. But do have a 60 x 20 feet fenced in deck area. Would this accomadate a cairn? Of course it would get it's daily excercise from long walks on a leash through out our neighborhood, but I was thinking of play time when it can be off the leash. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

I am looking into getting a fence this spring/summer. I think a small kenneled off area or your fenced in would be fine though. Its just to have a little place to run around in.

• 2 weeks later...

Sixty by 20 feet is plenty of outside area for a Cairn to run around and play.

If you are outside with your Cairn, you can also use a stake out (metal spiral thing gets pushed into the lawn, there is a loop at the top where a long plastic/metal lead is attached) and your Cairn can have fun digging up your plants!

I have a large garden, but especially in the winter my two Cairns do not want to be outside. They get plenty of execise zooming around my house.

Cairns do well in apartment living in the middle of cities, with lots of play and the requisite number of walks outside, they are easy to keep fit and happy. You have no worries with your set up.

Stacey

• 2 weeks later...

60 x 20 is great especially with long walks added in. I would recommend never off the leash. These dogs are hunters and if they see something they will be gone after it.

Archived