CairnTalk

finding a breeder

Sharon Querel

We recently lost our cairn "Woodie" of 14 years. We are looking for the breeders but we originally bought her thru a pet chain store. Her father was "Beaver Brooks Timmy" and her Mom was "Wildwoods Energy" but the breeder escapes me. Any help out there? I think the breeders were either from ND, SD, or Minnesota. Thank you.

Hi there -- I'm in Minnesota, so I'm sorry to tell you that if your dog came from a pet store it probably came from one of the "puppy mills" around here. There are unfortunately quite a few. But there are numerous excellent breeders in the area too, with great little dogs. I think you can find some through the AKC site. We got our current pup from a breeder over in Wisconsin, but there are several closer to home (Minneapolis) who also have wonderful dogs. Suggest you check them out!

Kathryn

Guest cairnmother

I'm so sorry that you lost your little Woodie. I know how devastating it can be to lose your pet. Was a little relieved to hear that she lived so long. I too purchased my little Teddy from a pet store. He is 2 years old now and very healthy...no problems so far. He is the sweetest little wheaten cairn and I am so lucky to have him. I had lost my previous cairn Ozzy to a ruptured heart valve at the age of 10. The pet store that I bought parrot food from had recently closed so I went to the nearest pet store to buy food. I always avoided that one because they sold puppies. To make a long story short, I had a brain spasm that day. I got emotional when I laid eyes on my little Ted and out the door we went. I am lucky that he is healthy and a nice looking cairn. It could've turned out very badly. I hate that I have supported that business and would not do so again. I think of his mother living unloved and bred time after time for $$$$. I helped secure her future in hell by buying from a pet store. Please, Please! don't make the same mistake as I did. Find a reputable breeder who cares about their dogs.

Thanks, you've all been so helpful. I knew that her parents were probably in a puppy mill but Woodie was relatively a healthy girl and so was her demise because I didn't know she had this kidney problem until she started peeing in the house. The vet said she had this problem for quite a while but also said her kidneys were just wearing out. Gee I miss her but am not ready to get another one just yet. Thanks, for all your help. I just wanted to let these breeders know what a wonderful pet she was and wanted to know if they had some of the offspring of her parents in their kennls. Thanks again.

We lost our Brodie in January, so I know what an empty spot Woodie must have left. It may take some time before you are ready for a new puppy in your life, but remember that locating a reputable breeder with a litter may take some time. Last time we waited until we were ready - and then it took four months before we could bring a puppy home - by then we were WAY past ready.

This time, when Brodie died, I started our search right away. By the time Fergus was ready to come home with us, we were ready.

ballast

Thank you for all your replies. I know it is going to take a bit to find the right pup for us. Does anyone know of breeders close to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I am will to by in USA as long as it's not too far for us to travel. Thanks again

Archived