CairnTalk

Why we love them -- they're so silly!

Susan

Cairn terriers have such silly personalities sometimes and can do the cutest things. My Nikki has a sock fetish. She steals them and hides them in all the corners, where they're "buried" and I'm not supposed to see them. On laundry day, I have to go round up socks all over the house, and she seems rather offended because I can so easily find them. Oh..and when she takes a sock, she doesn't carry it in the middle...oh no....she has to hold it by the long end so she trips over it. What a goofy girl! :P

So what are some of the silly and cute little things your Cairns do?

Susan

10toys.jpgThe Collector: Rosebud would sniff around the family room each evening and figure out which toy had been played with the most by the other dogs that evening. Then she would tip-toe to her crate and stash it. We emptied her crate at intervals -- often with as many as ten pilfered toys in it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Our Suzie loves socks too. As a matter of fact, if you're wearing shoes, you're fine...if you're barefoot, you're fine. But DON'T walk around in socks, because she thinks they're hers for the playing. The good thing is when my husband misses the laundry basket and they fall behind, I just pull out the basket and Suzie goes into the linen closet and retrieves them!

• 3 weeks later...

Carter always piles up our socks when we are gone, and as soon as we open the door, he comes storming at us with about 6 or 7 socks in his mouth. He also likes to hide our shoes everywhere, so we usually just set them out in the garage now. Also, when the tv is on, do any of your cairn terriors actually follow the screen? Carter does it all the time!!

Yes, I too, have a Cairn who's a bit of a TV addict ... his favourite show is "Dogs with Jobs" ... he just LOVES it ... & yes, he actualy follows the screen, in fact, I swear he understands everything that happens .. both on screen & off ... poor chap is ill at the moment but happily,on the road to recovery ... Will is my first Cairn [not my first dog, however] & I'm absolutely besotted with him ... what a wonderful little dogs we have, huh ..?!

Maybe that should be part of their characteristics in the akc breed description, sock hunter!! Max always stashes our socks, I can't tell you how many mismatched socks I end up with on laundry day.

He is famous for hiding his bones and toys. Ever since the day we brought him home he would hide his little blue chew bone. Then if he thought we might have seen, he quickly saved it and rehid it in another place. (We were quite in awe over this personality trait)

Now that he is older, it is even funnier. If I know where he hides something (bones, socks, shoes, leash, etc.) I will purposely walk by it just to watch his reactions!!lol He usually pounces on me and licks me to distract me. If I really want to get him going I will stop in front of wherever it is and pretend I don't see it, this drives him crazy!!! This is most amusing!! :D

The best one yet was when he was trying to hide his bone in our cd tower. After a number of them fell off the bottom shelf and started to pile up, he actually thought it was a sneaky place for it and left it!! What a crazy pup!

Maxwell

Both of my cairns have been very serious about hiding their toys, socks, or treats. When Nikki was very young, she didn't have a very good understanding of hiding stuff out of sight. If I gave her a milkbone, she'd try to find the perfect place to hide it, but it'd usually be somewhere very obvious like the middle of the living room floor (but she'd "bury it" by using her face to "cover it" with the carpet...lol). One time she "buried" her milkbone on ME! She jumped up on the couch and came over and stuck it on my shoulder and sort of pressed it there with her nose. By then, it was a little sticky from having it in her mouth, and it stuck quite nicely. She then proceeded to try to bury it on my shoulder by rubbing her face on my shirt to cover it. She was quite pleased with herself until I plucked it off. lol.

Susan

I think my favorite thing is 'air burying' -- where their head moves back and forth as they appear to move phantom dirt to bury their treasure in plain sight. They are so serious when they do this. There's something primal about it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

When Wesley is told not to chew the rug or chair, he drags his toy chicken over and pretends to chew IT, while he's REALLY chewing the rug or chair.

Like pretending to read a social studies book at school and hiding a Marvel Comic inside!

He's like a wascally wabbit!

When we are up and around the puppy, he will put his head between

our ankles and walk with us and look up at us when we stop. I wonder when he was a little puppy how he came about doing this. Also when we

eat at the kitchen bar, he will put his front legs and body on the stool and look up at us as if to say, "this is my stool, bring on the food mom."

Posey

Archived