CairnTalk

Samantha's antics

Veronica

I probably posted in the wrong area for my first post and it is below bottom. Samantha is a mix and all that see her love her. I have never had a dog that wanted her belly rubbed so much.  It is not submissive or scared --- she just loves it.  She also is full of kisses that I have to cover my face and neck and arms etc -- I think that might be somewhat of a nervous habit and am working with her. We rescued her and have had her for two (2) months. I have also never in over 25 years had such a high energy dog. Here' is  a typical day for Sammie. In between all of us she follows me almost 100% of the time, is talked to frequently and gets belly rubs..

5:30 am. She pounces on me.  Full of kisses and snuggles. I wake up and let her in the yard. She stands on guard waiting for the cat that walks on top of the fence of the yard daily at 5:40 am so she can bark at the intruder and then tries to climb up the wall or go under the fence. She has to be watched closely in the yard.

5:45 am. She races inside and zooms up the stairs to wake everyone else up.

5:55 am. Races down the stairs back to me, grabs one of her many toys and plays.

6:15 am. Intently watches me and I make coffee and wash her water bowl.

6:30 am. Breakfast

6:45 am to 7:00 am. Playtime. Races around with her toys. She's very happy because everyone is now up.

7:00 am morning walk. 

7:30 am to 10:30 am.  Races in to her water bowl and then playtime on her own and with family members. She is sure to give equal time to the 3 family member.  She gets affection from all family members who are in the kitchen before they leave. At 9 am she will come with me to my office and lay on her pillow in 10 minute spurts. Back to playtime and we will play fetch upstairs. Receives many belly rubs .She also alternates between looking out the sliding door.

10:30 am. Mid morning walk and greets anyone and everyone.  She also barks at any of the dogs who are in their yards or they come to the window or door and they bark and she barks back.  She also looks under cars for any cats to bark at.

11:00 am to 12:00 noon. Races back in, tongue hanging out, drinks water and then sits intently with her heard poking through the vertical blinds by the sliding glass door watching and barking if there are any intruders.  This can be the cat making it's walk back across the top of the yard, the yard maintenance guy, cidlrens voices playing, a lone bird, hearing the dumpster close a block away or any car doors that slam or turn on ..... even far away.

12 noon to 12:15 pm. Treat time and she lets you know it is treat time then she lays down but is not really sleeping.

12:15 pm to 12:30 pm. I work with her on her commands. Small does work best.

12:30 to 2:30 pm. Did anyone say playtime. She visits all family members that are home, gets belly rubs and a bit more calmly plays with her toys.

2:30 pm I work with her again on her commands.  Small does work best. Treats in between.

3:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Waits for the mailman so she can bark at him/her.

3:30 to 4 pm. Playtime. I drop her toys from upstairs and she races downs stairs to retrieve and brings it back upstairs to me.

4 pm to 4:30 pm. She actually takes a real nap.

4:30 pm to 5:30 pm. Playtime and she know it is getting close to dinner.

5:30 pm Dinner

5:40 to 6:15 pm play time

6:30 pm. PM walk

6:45 pm to 10 pm. Races back in, drinks water and alternates between playing, checking on everyone and relaxing on "her couch" Lets you know it is time for her evening treat.

Waits for me to go to sleep. As soon as she knows I am getting ready to get into the bed she beats me to it, receives snuggles and belly rubs and then jumps off without any prompting to her bed.

10:15 pm to 5:30 am. Bedtime although If I get up to get a drink or to use the restroom she follows me and will grab a toy. Sometimes she will pounce on me at 1:30 am to be let in the yard to go potty.

)

• Like 1

Whew, I am tired just reading this!!

Atticus has a few puzzle toys that dispense treats as he rolls it around the floor. This will keep him busy for some time. He also has a lick mat that I spread various goodies on (pumpkin, applesauce, pb) and keep in the freezer. I use the same filler and fill kongs that I keep in the freezer.

Anything to keep a young Cairn busy!

• Like 1

I have never has such a high energy baby! She's adorable and I think the 100+ heat knocked her out.  She slept for an extra 10 minutes.  She is a lot of fun an quite the character.

• 4 weeks later...

yep yep yep. i adopted my first cairn when he 4 months old and for the first year all i saw was a blur. he finally paused long enough that i could see how handsome he was. i said to a friend, a terrier owner, that my dog was so active i didn't really know what he looked like yet. she said gravely, "all terriers spend their first year running up and down the walls. cairns,.are.the.worst."  but i know most people here would not trade those hectic, exhausting months for anything. 

• Like 3