CairnTalk

Macallan the Cairn

Carl

Hi, everyone! This is Macallan. He’s everything we were expecting, and we love him anyways! This is our family’s second Cairn so we knew what we were in for. Maker was our first (we name them after whiskeys) and left us in 2019 at only 8 years old. She was the perfect dog for our family. She was weird, scruffy, and soooo good with our 4 kids, so we knew getting another Cairn was the only option. Mac is 5 months old now and getting smarter every day (I wish I could do that). It’s so much fun to read about everyone’s experiences, and it helps me understand that we’re all going through the same thing 🙂  

5BD2E299-FB10-4080-BBAA-90F4F57D9972.jpeg

9EA86F0A-402C-4050-8532-6E420B746F8F.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Macallan.........welcome. What a guy. We know you will grow into your ears eventually but in the meantime looks like if you flap them a bit you could take off. Fun times ahead for sure.

• Haha 2

@bradlsaddly, all three of the squirrels have passed. One was missing an ear, one a tail, and the other a leg. Mac’s a hungry fella. Does anyone have any suggestions for toys? He seems to go through every one we give him. I have some cinder blocks in the garage I could give him, but I need them for a project in the yard. 

• Haha 3

Good idea. Our old dog loved plastic milk bottles, but she didn’t destroy everything we gave her like Mac does. Worth a shot. 

A Kong…not the whimpy sized ones.  Cairns have big teeth and ambitions to match…stuff a carrot in there…..  They are big dogs in a small package.  Squeekers mean sudden death for a soft toy.

Mac sure is a cutie pie!! We got Atticus in Chicago, and my daughter lives there too.

We have tons of stuffed toys, and at about 6 months old, Atticus decided to tear them apart. We keep them in a container he can't get to now and bring them out for play time, and when we can supervise. Now Atticus has lots of rubber toys that he plays with. He especially likes the rubber nubby balls that have a squeaker inside. He has a rope toy that he likes too. I'll see if I can find pics of them. Atticus also likes Yak sticks to chew on, although he doesn't chew on them often.

We also have a bunch of Kongs that I stuff with a combo of peanut butter, applesauce, cottage cheese, canned pumpkin.....what ever I have around to stuff. I keep these in the freezer so they take longer to eat. I also have two lick mats that I spread with a combo of food and keep in the freezer. Atticus will be a year old in a few days and I will do anything to keep him busy....lol!

feb22e.jpeg

june2022.jpg

Edited by Eliz222
adding text
  • Like 1

@Eliz222Mac looks a lot like Atticus! Great looking dogs. Thanks for the heads up on the toys. He decided to bite a hole in my hand and my shirt tonight so I’m looking forward to finding different toys to keep him entertained. I gave him an empty plastic bottle earlier but he just barked at it. He’s a strange little fella. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, Carl said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for toys? He seems to go through every one we give him.

A favorite (time consuming), durable  toy was a large rubber treat ball which kept my cairns amused for long periods. Large sizes are best because they are too big  to get their teeth into and chew on. They roll around on the floor and unlike plastic ones which can be noisy on wood floors and when bumping into furniture, rubber is quiet. They can be found online.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! Mac says thanks as well! In other news, he’s decided the red chairs our neighbor just put out are a threat. He’s keeping them away by barking any time he looks out the window and sees them. So far it’s working. They haven’t gotten any closer. 

08B4271E-FF12-4350-8DAD-1AFAB2278E76.jpeg

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...