CairnTalk

The colour changing cairn....

Nicole Z

Did your cairns change colour as they grew up? 

Do you have 'before' and 'after' photos of their changes? 

What ages did you see the biggest changes happen?? 

Theodore has a much lighter undercoat than we thought and the new coat coming in is quite different than the puppy coat! He's changing & growing up already :)

Would love to see some pictures and hear your experiences with your cairns of many colours! (Would also love to know what colour you think Theodore will be!)

theodore_12 weeks.jpg

IMG_0352.JPG

Edited by Nicole Z

Given the bridling I suspect he'll become much darker as the years go by, ending up near black. His undercoat will probably remain reddish. 

I don't have a handy set of photos but will keep looking. We stopped registering puppies as red or cream brindle and just listed them as "brindle" because it was sure hard to see any red in some of them in later years. Our friend suggested that most Cairn pups should be registered as "pre-black."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I was told that if a puppy has some black in their coat....even a tiny bit.....that the dog will eventually be a dark Cairn.

We had Wheaten dogs growing up and they are stayed the same color. Scout was a grey brindle....turned red brindle...and then turned half grey/half red. Finch was a red brindle and turned all black with a rich red undercoat. Sorry, I don't have pics handy.

Atticus is only 11 months old and his coat looks like I put blond highlights in it. I'm not sure what you would call his coat. His face has remained black. I'm sure he will turn all black as he ages.

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1

First photo is Mett & Bratt, two brindles at a year old. 2nd photo is Bratt at 10 on the grooming table. Mett turned into a grey brindle, Bratt a red brindle.

DSCN1231.JPG

Bratt after side.JPG

• Like 2

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, CloverDragons said:

...As an English literature teacher, I love the name-theme too.

Re the "name-theme": Forgive me for name-dropping, but as an English Lit teacher, you might appreciate the following: Until she passed away some time ago, Harper Lee was my neighbor across the hall on 82nd Street in NYC for many years and we developed a good friendship. Harper Lee's actual first name was "Nelle" and it was the name she used with friends, etc. She was a remarkable person and although she was protective of her privacy, Nelle was open, friendly and outgoing and would have enjoyed knowing that so many of our cairns were named Atticus, Scout or Finch in honor of the characters she created in "To Kill a Mockingbird." 

Nelle was a fascinating conversationalist and story-teller, but space doesn't permit me to go unto that except to just report that Oprah was constantly courting her for an interview, (Nelle declined) and another time when all us neighbors were agog because Gregory Peck came to her apt. to take her to dinner. We all miss her and frequently refer to her and the good memories Nelle left us with. It was a privilege to have been her friend and neighbor.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

On 10/19/2022 at 2:15 PM, sanford said:

Re the "name-theme": Forgive me for name-dropping, but as an English Lit teacher, you might appreciate the following: Until she passed away some time ago, Harper Lee was my neighbor across the hall on 82nd Street in NYC for many years and we developed a good friendship. Harper Lee's actual first name was "Nelle" and it was the name she used with friends, etc. She was a remarkable person and although she was protective of her privacy, Nelle was open, friendly and outgoing and would have enjoyed knowing that so many of our cairns were named Atticus, Scout or Finch in honor of the characters she created in "To Kill a Mockingbird." 

Nelle was a fascinating conversationalist and story-teller, but space doesn't permit me to go unto that except to just report that Oprah was constantly courting her for an interview, (Nelle declined) and another time when all us neighbors were agog because Gregory Peck came to her apt. to take her to dinner. We all miss her and frequently refer to her and the good memories Nelle left us with. It was a privilege to have been her friend and neighbor.

Lucky you! I would have loved to have met her! When I mention my dogs names (last three were Scout, Finch, and Atticus), most people recognize the connection to Harper (Nelle) Lee.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, sanford said:

What a fascinating story!  I would love to have met her!  

13 minutes ago, Eliz222 said:

Lucky you! I would have loved to have met her! When I mention my dogs names (last three were Scout, Finch, and Atticus), most people recognize the connection to Harper (Nelle) Lee.

Dare I suggest Watch or Watchman for a next pup?  Based upon the original manuscript, which was released after her death:  To Set a Watchman?  

Excellent name! What else do our furry watchmen do, but watch over us most of the time? (Except when they are ignoring us)!😀

• Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

On 10/21/2022 at 12:02 PM, sanford said:

Excellent name! What else do our furry watchmen do, but watch over us most of the time? (Except when they are ignoring us)!😀

My Cairn Bruce (named for Robert the Bruce) even gave me gifts.  Okay, they were mice, but he meant well.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CloverDragons said:

My Cairn Bruce (named for Robert the Bruce) even gave me gifts.  Okay, they were mice, but he meant well.  

Bruce must love you very much. Remember...It's not the gift, but the thought that counts. Good boy, Bruce!😍

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!