CairnTalk

New Allies at Coyote Alley

Catalyzt

On our night walk, we pass a house with very friendly neighbors who have two German Shepherds.  If they are near the windows, there's always a ritual display of shared aggression that I would translate like this:

Shepherds:  Hey!  You are trespassing!

Spike:  You don't own the sidewalk, << expletive >>!

Shepherds: Turn around and go home right now, you little << expletive >> !

Spike:  Or what, exactly?  You'll jump through a plate glass window from the second floor?  Go for it, << expletive >> !

Usually, I can snap Spike out of it by commanding "Focus!" and distracting him with treats, praising him when he desists... though it won't surprise any of you to learn it takes a few tries!

About two weeks ago, however, we'd gotten by them on the way out without incident -- they're not always at the window -- and were on our way back when Spike snaps to attention, and barks briskly-- first at me, then at a very large coyote lurking between parked cars.  Big fellow, a bit larger than either of the shepherds.  

I short-leash Spike, but he won't stop barking, of course.  I try to soothe him, but obviously have no luck whatsoever.  I wait until I am sure the coyote is gone, and we proceed home, passing by the shepherds' house.  Again, they bark at each other... but this time, without *any* aggression.  Spike yaps softly, the shepherds woof in return.  No snarling, no straining at the leash or paws banging on the window.  They look at each other, and look in the direction the coyote fled.  If I could translate:

Shepherds:  Tried to sneak up on you, huh?

Spike: Yeah, the mangy << expletive >>.   They have no business being here!  

Shepherds:  No business at all.  You guys good?

Spike:  Yeah, fine, thanks.

Shepherds:  I hate that guy, would love to kick his ass.

Spike:  His ear looks like it would make a fine chew toy.

Shepherds:  It would at that, but be careful.  I've seen him around before, a mean one.  You two look sharp and stay safe, huh?

Spike:  You bet, man.  You guys, too.

And just like that-- they're all old pals, united in the face of a common enemy!   Never thought I'd see that.  The shepherds' guardians are great-- opened the window, asked if we were sure we were okay.  This has happened before, long before Spike came on the scene-- Zippy and Bartleby and I were pinned down by three of them once, and the neighbors actually offered to let us in until they went by.  We thanked them, but said we'd try to haze the coyotes ourselves.  And we did.

(Spike has also spotted sneaky-looking humans, too, who were lurking in the shadow... long before I did.  Much better watchdog than Bartleby.)

It probably won't last.  We'll see what happens next time they see each other!

• Like 1

Great job, Spike!

I don't think I would be as brave....might have just darted down the street waving my arms until I got inside my house. :)

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, Eliz222 said:

Great job, Spike!

I don't think I would be as brave....might have just darted down the street waving my arms until I got inside my house. :)

That works, too-- just be sure you are screaming at the top of your lungs!

Only a few of our neighbors have had trouble hazing coyotes successfully, and I think the mistake most people make is that they are not loud enough-- they are embarrassed about waking people up.

Where we live, fortunately, it's understood: If coyotes are around, and near dogs, it's fine to wake up the whole block.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We have coyotes in our neighborhood -- but all I ever see is their back sides /tails as they run away from me.  I've never been close to one at all.  Yours is not only large, but quite brave.  I'd be wary.  I've always felt sure I could (if pushed) kick a coyote pretty well and send him running.  My fear would be being bitten /worrying about rabies.

Love your writing style!  

Thanks!  I do keep a wary eye on postings about aggressive behavior by coyotes.  You are correct that they are more aggressive in the Los Angele area, but I have never heard of an adult human being attacked.  Children are menaced, occasionally.  I think a little kid did get bitten by a coyote in the Inland Empire last year, but that kind of thing is really rare.

One of our neighbors did have her small dog snatched by a coyote-- it jumped a six-foot fence and grabbed the dog when it was standing three feet away from the owner!  That's the most aggressive behavior I've heard of.

But the story has a relatively happy ending:  The neighbor, who happened to be female, attacked the coyote and kicked the living crap out of it.  (We take home defense very seriously here in LA!)  The coyote let go of the dog, and they raced to the vet.  MANY stitches, touch and go, but the dog made a full recovery!  

Funny you reactivated this thread, because we had another incident yesterday with a standard poodle.  He got away from his (very careless owner) and came right at Spike and Bartleby.  I stood between them and firmly told him: "No!" which worked at first.  Then the poodle tried to lunge closer, so I grabbed him by the collar with my right hand, while I've got my boys short-leashed on a flexi, holding both in my left hand.  I can barely hold off the poodle, he's gotta be over 50 pounds, but... they weren't being super vicious, you know?  Just very indignant, with aggressive overtones.

So the moment the barking and tugging decreased, I changed my own tone... "Hey, that's better!  Not bad, guys!  That's your neighbor!"  And so on.

Seemed to work!  It wasn't until after the encounter that I remembered: I'm on blood thinners!  But what are you gonna do?  I could have gotten bitten being had I been either more, or less, confrontational.  Or even doing exactly what I did.  If the poodle had sunk his fangs into my wrist, there would have been nothing I could do.

It is such a joy to see these little guys learn.  Now that I think of it?  Spike has been very affectionate since this incident.  I never have stood between him and an aggressive dog in such close quarters before.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 9:12 PM, Catalyzt said:

Thanks!  I do keep a wary eye on postings about aggressive behavior by coyotes.  You are correct that they are more aggressive in the Los Angele area, but I have never heard of an adult human being attacked.  Children are menaced, occasionally.  I think a little kid did get bitten by a coyote in the Inland Empire last year, but that kind of thing is really rare.

One of our neighbors did have her small dog snatched by a coyote-- it jumped a six-foot fence and grabbed the dog when it was standing three feet away from the owner!  That's the most aggressive behavior I've heard of.

But the story has a relatively happy ending:  The neighbor, who happened to be female, attacked the coyote and kicked the living crap out of it.  (We take home defense very seriously here in LA!)  The coyote let go of the dog, and they raced to the vet.  MANY stitches, touch and go, but the dog made a full recovery!  

Funny you reactivated this thread, because we had another incident yesterday with a standard poodle.  He got away from his (very careless owner) and came right at Spike and Bartleby.  I stood between them and firmly told him: "No!" which worked at first.  Then the poodle tried to lunge closer, so I grabbed him by the collar with my right hand, while I've got my boys short-leashed on a flexi, holding both in my left hand.  I can barely hold off the poodle, he's gotta be over 50 pounds, but... they weren't being super vicious, you know?  Just very indignant, with aggressive overtones.

So the moment the barking and tugging decreased, I changed my own tone... "Hey, that's better!  Not bad, guys!  That's your neighbor!"  And so on.

Seemed to work!  It wasn't until after the encounter that I remembered: I'm on blood thinners!  But what are you gonna do?  I could have gotten bitten being had I been either more, or less, confrontational.  Or even doing exactly what I did.  If the poodle had sunk his fangs into my wrist, there would have been nothing I could do.

It is such a joy to see these little guys learn.  Now that I think of it?  Spike has been very affectionate since this incident.  I never have stood between him and an aggressive dog in such close quarters before.

What???  A coyote is capable of jumping a 6-foot fence ... then jumping back while carrying a small dog?  I had no idea.  Maybe my plan about kicking the snot of of any coyote who attacks me and my dog is ill-formed.  

Our neighbor has a Belgian Malinois, and he's asked me to walk on the other side of the street because his dog is old and finicky and isn't always friendly to other dogs.  Okay, forewarned is forearmed.  So I was out walking one day, and the Belgian was outside without his people ... and he decided it was HIS DAY to eat a Beagle (I lost that beautiful boy to cancer, but I digress).  He came running towards us saying he was going to eat my Watson first, then he'd move on to me, if he had any room left.  I whipped out my teacher voice and yelled STOP with conviction.  I think the earth slowed its rotation a moment.  The dog stopped, turned around and went back to his porch.  I grabbed up my doggie boy and ran home, not sure how long it'd last.  

Surprised at such agression in coyotes. Perhaps because they and you are in an urban area.

Out here in the northern PA wilderness there are plenty of coyotes but we hardly ever see them. They run away if by chance we do meet. Possibly because there's plenty of food available - rabbits etc. Rarely do they come to the edge of town ..............

We generally do not leave a dog alone in the yard even if fenced which out here they are usually not.

I have seen coyotes around here too, but like Hillscreek, they are usually on the run. We have lots of fox here, but they are usually running away too. We don't have a fenced in yard, but we do have a run that gives Atticus the entire yard to run around in. I have never left him alone outside either. I have to be careful of large animals and chipmunks, which get quite large around here!