CairnTalk

Thinning Sheers

GIDGETSMOM

Ok, you Cairn experts. Here's another question for you.

I am getting ready to purchase a Mars Coat King 16 and have the option of getting a pair of Anvil Thinning Sheers with the coat king for a total of $60 for both.

They suggest that the thinning sheers be used on the legs and the tummy.

Do you guys use thinning sheers or do you have another tool that you use on the legs and tummy?

Since this is my first Cairn I'm not used to using any of these tools in my grooming routine. Also, what do you use on the face and tail?

Any advise would be helpful.

There's nothin' in this world better than puppy breath!!!

No expert here.

Thinning shears are nice to have around. I use shears around the foot. I use my fingers on the tummy and legs. I've seen others use thinning shears exactly as you describe, and probably will myself someday.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Guest

I am reading and hearing differing things. Is using a Mars Coat King enough or is handstripping necessary? Also, does everyone get their dog handstripped or do some people just do the regular grooming (bath, clip, blowdry?)

You hear contradictory things because people DO contradictory things.

Most terrier people seem to agree that the correct and best way to care for a double-coated breed such as the Cairn is to hand strip. Pretty much everything else is a compromise of some sort.

Do you know what a good healthy diet is for a human? Is it necessary that you personally eat that way? Same thing for grooming I suspect. Some dogs get away with compromises - others have problems that are improved by proper grooming, and so on and so on. If you're having skin problems and clipping - well you haven't done everything you could to build good skin health. If you're using a coat king and have a happy healthy, good-looking dog - well, how you feel about that is up to you and your dog.

Etc. etc.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Guest

Hi Gidgetsmom,

I use thinning shears on the legs, belly and and along the rear below the anus. The rest of the coat I hand strip. If you use thinning sheers on the legs they look as if they were hand stripped, although the coat will be softer. I use the Mars Coat King on the chest (which also tends to be tender) and a bit on the legs too where it will work.

Even when I was showing a Cairn I used the thinning sheers on the belly - it is just too painful to strip. Use a small blunt-tipped scissor to clear the hair around the anus.

Stacey

Archived