CairnTalk

OMG they did what?

Tracy A.

So i'm spending a lot of time in the backyard with Amos and Walter as we are house training and burning off energy. So i'm seeing all the pruning weeding that needs to be done and I ordered myself this snazy pruning kit and a 8" folding hand saw blade for taking off dead branches.  So yesterday I was cleaning up the grape arbor, and of course they were grabing the cuttings and running around. They then dug in the arbor (no big deal).  Today I was working on a few of the apple trees and I had some low dead branches I was sawing off. In post dinner potty break, I started to move the cuttings to a brush pile in the back yard.  Suddenly the branch i'm carrying feels heavy,  I look down and with all 5.4 pounds of his might - Walter is hanging off the branch...in the air.  I remove him from the branch and I toss it on the brush pile.   Only to see both Amos and Walter diving into the brush pile, disappearing... then climbing up on top of it!  Its 4 feet high!  My inner dialog is "great, they're going to get stuck and i'm going to have to figure out a way to get them out".   I was able to extract Amos, and Walter just pulled some acrobatic move and popped out on his own. 

No pictures, I was problem solving and thankful that I didn't have to dig anyone out.

I come in and tell Steve my husband about how they climbed up  into and on top of the brush pile and he started laughing....LAUGHING....    

So that concludes my tale of pruning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

A little problem solving, a little all-terrain practice and entertainment as an unintended consequence.

Yup - cheap thrills, as we say!  Obviously you are going to have to adapt your yard for the benefit of your cairn terriers.  You thought it was a brush pile? Pshaw.  It's a cairn terrier jungle gym...full of wonderful dog toys...

When Oban was a baby, he liked to dig holes in the yard.  We got him at the beginning of gardening season, and we didn't want him wrecking the perennial gardens. Whenever he started a hole, we moved in a stack of some fist-sized rocks to discourage him. By the end of the summer, we had a backyard full of small rock "cairns."  We think he was pleased with his ingenuity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kathryn said:

Yup - cheap thrills, as we say!  Obviously you are going to have to adapt your yard for the benefit of your cairn terriers.  You thought it was a brush pile? Pshaw.  It's a cairn terrier jungle gym...full of wonderful dog toys...

When Oban was a baby, he liked to dig holes in the yard.  We got him at the beginning of gardening season, and we didn't want him wrecking the perennial gardens. Whenever he started a hole, we moved in a stack of some fist-sized rocks to discourage him. By the end of the summer, we had a backyard full of small rock "cairns."  We think he was pleased with his ingenuity.

Oh Kathryn, this isn't my first rodeo.  We do not discourage digging at all, we have moles- i have a hole backfilling process... using marker flags each spring.     My first two Cairn's loved to snuffle around the brush pile, i've never  one dive into it, climb, and get on top before.   They'll be supervised until they get big enough not to be carried off by the neighborhood hawk, and grow up  out of the puppy phase.  We have a series of dog doors, and they're two small to open the dog doors, but if you hold it open they do go through the opening. 

My first two, Mettwurst and Brattwurst were legendary on the forum for their antics & hunting abilities...... 'sparkling poop' is a classic.

Edited by Tracy A.
poop

If they do this again, I hope you can capture it with a photo or video! We don't have a fenced in yard, so our dogs have always been on a leash, or lead, while outside. I'm sure Atticus would LOVE to climb on top of a brush pile!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

by popular demand, I took this video after they climbed into the pile then on top of it.

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, Tracy A. said:

My first two, Mettwurst and Brattwurst were legendary on the forum for their antics & hunting abilities...... 'sparkling poop' is a classic.

indeed they were. looks like another legendary pair rising (as it were) here