CairnTalk

cairns and cats

Toto times 2

post-267-1111072977_thumb.jpgThere have been many questions about whether cairns and cats get along. This is half of our menagerie. (Sorry I didn't tidy up!)

Guest webstar

I love it. I wish Molly and our cat would become friends. Its not just Molly's fault all she wants to do is sniff the cat and the cat won't let her anywhere near her. The cat was never fond of dogs before Molly joined the family. Did it take very long before they became friends?

Well we don't have a cat Rebel chases the neighbor's cat when it gets in our back yard so judging from that we will never get one.

I have a friend that has a cat called a Rag Doll cat and he acts like a dog. And the funny part is some people have dogs that act like cats. I guess even in the animal world we should not stereotype

Gee what we could learn from our pets!!! :shock:

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Our cat, Bach, "shares" HER house with our dogs...lol! They cohabitate...and that's about all. Sometimes I find all of them laying out in the sun together, but mostly they leave each other alone...which works for everyone!

Guest mrskti

My old Golden Murphy, (RIP) use to let our cats lay on his back. I'd look out the front door and they'd all be piled on him....he was such a softie.

We had a cat before we had any Cairns. When we got Winnie, our cat Calvin was twice her size...that helped.

I remember seeing Winnie laying on the deck in the sun one summer day when Calvin strolled by and started to rub up against her...it was precious.

Webstar you asked how long it took before the cats and cairns became friends. It took about a week before the boys didn't chase the cats and probably a few months before they got to the curling up stage. The cats were adults when we got Ghillie as a puppy and although he was used to chasing the cats at the breeders, they trained him very quickly. Smokey came to us as an adult but also caught on quickly.

Our cats are indoor cats and the boys don't chase them at all even if they escape and get out in the yard but they will chase any other cats (squirrels, birds, motorcycles, buses, etc.) they see. We can NEVER let them off the leash.

Our Rocky used to let Mr. Kitty sleep on his back when he was a kitten. It was the cutest thing. I was lucky enough to get a picture of it

2.jpg

5.jpg

Tucker and Mr. Kitty have always gotten along b/c they were both young together. Scruffy is very interested in Mr. Kitty, and would dearly love to chase him. Mr. Kitty just loves to tease Scruffy, tho. In the end, they are all friends. I did manage to capture the two of them in a moment of friendly relaxation.

Thela

post-349-1111342669_thumb.jpg

Weezie those are just super pictures! I especially like the one where Mr. Kitty is on Rocky.

Archived