CairnTalk

Goodbye to my Gus

Islander

Gus lived full tilt for almost 14 years.

He seemed to be in perfect health; but on Thursday he suddenly collapsed on a walk, and was diagnosed with pericardial effusion, bleeding around his heart presumed due to a ruptured hemangiosarcoma. He was stabilized overnight at the emergency hospital by draining the blood, but his prognosis was bleak. At home he was lethargic and refusing food and water. I decided after consulting with an end of life vet and with a veterinary internist in my extended family, to let him go. 

It was tough because he rallied last night and spent some quality time with the family getting lots of love and eating some treats. But the very kind vet who came to the house this morning told me that he was still bleeding internally and could crash at any time.

So we peacefully, lovingly, put him to sleep.

I am still in shock and heartbroken. 

But I know he had a wonderful life, had many adventures and was much loved.

Rest in power my best little pal.

IMG_3046.thumb.JPG.7eeea7ca62b79420b5797e87c676732f.JPGDSC01520.thumb.JPG.dbcf150c6b4dc2e8d21c35dd9bf5f89e.JPGP1000105.thumb.JPG.863a39b5a1a204750d570aa2016a36fa.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Islander, I am so very, very sorry for your loss!   Nothing hurts worse than that sudden, shocking loss for which we are totally unprepared!

Edited by CamilleatGaelforce
  • Like 1

Oh Islander so sorry to hear this news. I have experienced something similar in the past with a little terrier. The sudden loss is such a shock.

How fortunate you both were to spend so many happy years years together. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Such very sad news. Losing a beloved Cairn is always hard, but a sudden and unexpected loss must be the worst. I send sincere sympathy. 

• Like 1

Dear Islander,

I am so sorry for your loss. Reading about Gus and seeing his photos, gives me some idea of what a treasure he was.

Sincere condolences to you at this sad time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Islander - so sad to learn that you have lost Gus.  That news took my breath away. He lived such a perfect cairn life that it's hard to imagine him gone. Hoping memories of him keep him in your heart always.

• Like 1

Goodbyes aren't easy, but those sudden losses are just numbingly disbelief and hurt like hell.  So very sorry for your loss Islander.  Gus - you are a gem in all our hearts.  Give Demps a good zoomy for me! 🥲

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I'm so sorry to hear of Gus passing away. Gus was such a sweetheart, and I'm glad that you and your family were able to spend some time with him before he passed.

I know how raw that pain can be, and it will take time to heal, but the pain will slowly be replaced with the funny and heart warming memories of sweet Gus. ((hugs)).

• Like 1

oh my gosh, our lovely Gus. thank you for the fabulous life you gave him, and all you did for him,. the two of you, quite a pair. together forever. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss..haven’t been here for a while. I know even when Otis is not feeling well due to something he ate I just panic.. my kids say that I’m more concerned about him than about them when they were little and somewhat it’s true they r helpless.. I am so sorry again that you lost your best friend in the world. And I am sure he led a charmed life living with you and others around you that loved him so much.

❌⭕❌⭕️ from Faith and Otis, Massachusetts

Edited by Otis’s Mom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I haven't been around much. Just saw this. I am so sorry for your loss. Gus will be missed.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF