CairnTalk

A new puppy

PatSchmidt

I have been looking for a Cairn puppy for some time and have now found two. Both puppies are well bred and both breeders have solid reputations. The puppy I first decided on is five months and will be six months before I get him. He will have been neutered before I get him. She assures me he has been well socialized and because of her solid reputation I believe that to be true. Both breeders are quit some distance from my home and I can't make a trip there before I go to pick up the puppy. Am I making a mistake choosing an older puppy rather than a puppy that would be 12 weeks old when I got him? I was not committed to either a male or female because I have no intention of breeding and would certainly have had the puppy spayed or neutered anyway. Actually I think neutered males are often sweeter than females. Please share your thoughts on this. Because of my age this will likely be the last puppy I buy so don't want to make a mistake.

Sincerely,

Pat

I don't think you can go wrong with an older puppy. Good luck with your decision and let us know which one you picked!

Many thanks to Brad and Shoe, This is the direction I was leaning but wanted some "expert advice." I have known several Cairns in the obedience and agility classes where I've trained my GSDs but have little first hand knowledge. I have worked my dogs in Search and Rescue and as Therapy dogs and they have been a great source of joy to me and to others. The problem is I no longer have the strength to work with a 100 pound dog or the energy to run the fields with my dog on a search. I am at a stage in my life where I'd like a puppy that was as happy sitting in my chair with me as he is racing around the countryside. My shepherds would happily sit in the chair but I would have to get out. :) Any dog I get would receive obedience training and, after the basics, if they were enjoying it we might continue. I think obedience training is almost as important as vet care in the health and safety of a dog. I haven't seen many terriers that were really fantastic in the obedience ring, I think they probably get bored with it. A cairn might enjoy agility or fly ball though and that is something I will think about. The advantages of the older puppy are that he will be ready for obedience, ready to begin working toward a therapy dog certification. I would have a three or four month wait with a tiny puppy before I could do any more than the very basics. Of course I will miss those baby times too but I have found that puppies are like babies, you are so busy taking care of them it is hard to find the time to really enjoy them. The lady who has the older puppy has bred some fantastic dogs and she is very particular about where she places her babies, I like that. I will certainly post a picture of my newest "child" as soon as I have him at home!

Pat

Pat, you are right on. How I wish everyone would understand how much there is to be gained by 'working' our very smart dogs. You are quite correct that many Cairns get bored quite easily with repetition and they love to throw in bits of 'flair' not necessarily leading to the highest scores in obed. But you seldom see a happier working dog. They are a riot in agility from what I've seen. I haven't tried it yet, but flyball also seems to be a natural for those that happen to be ball-dogs. I can't wait to try our two ball-girls with it. Earthdog is another area where you can savor the visceral joy of a dog doing what it's very DNA compels it to do. Plus, it's the most casual, relaxed, and supportive of any AKC event I've ever been to :)

Have a ball (no pun intended) with your Cairn. Do keep us posted.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I think its a great idea to get an older puppy. Yes, the puppy breath and little grunts they make when they are tiny are adorable, but it would be very nice to not have to start at the beginning with housetraining and the chewing. Cairns are also nice if you still have any of your bigger dogs. I can tell you we have a 100+ lb dog that our Cairn loves to play with. The nice thing about a Cairn is that even though they are small/medium size dogs, they are built sturdy enough you dont have to worry about them breaking something during a wrestling match.

My pup was four months old when I got him -- the first older pup I have ever had. I, too, shared your concerns but am overwhelmingly happy he was older now that I have him home. I like to brag that his quick potty training (only a few accidents) and acceptance of the kennel at night were due to his being SMART but I think it has a little to do with his age, too! ;-)

Archived