CairnTalk

Obtaining older dogs

Guest mikek

Guest mikek

I am interested in obtaining an older puppy or young dog who's personality is already established. I understand breeders sometimes have older dogs for sale who do not work out as show dogs. What is the most efficient method for finding such a dog? Are there any issues I should be aware of ? We live in Connecticut and are looking for a family pet. I have had dogs all my life but never a terrier. We have done much research and a cairn is the right dog for us. Thanks for any advice.

You are smart to consider a junior or adult dog, in my view. I would suggest networking. Go to shows in your area and introduce yourself. Call the breeders in your area (say, within 200 miles) and let them know that you are interested in a junior or retired dog. Sometimes a breeder won't decide to place an adult until they meet what they feel is the perfect home. It can be very hard emotionally to part with a junior or 'retired' dog - so if you are able to give it some time, you may have more luck than at first you might think.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived