CairnTalk

Our sweet boy, Murphy

MurphySings

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." — Anatole France, French poet

On 8/12/21, we lost our beloved Cairn terrier, Murphy.  He was 15.  We thought we would have him for at least another year.  Instead, Hemangiosarcoma, an indolent and aggressive cancer, stole him only 23 days after his diagnosis.  We are devastated. 

We have been struggling with how to describe Murphy and what he meant to us. All the superlatives we can think of aren’t enough.  He was a little dog with a great, big heart who loved fiercely and faithfully.  He was a gentle soul who loved to cuddle and gaze into our eyes. One friend described Murphy as, “such sweetness wrapped up in that little body.”  He made us laugh every day, especially when he sang (yodeled) and talked to us.  He loved opening his (and our!) Christmas gifts. He adored his sister, Gracie. He brought unbridled joy into our lives every day, even as the cancer advanced. Near the end, when our vet told us we could feed him literally anything he wanted, he enjoyed homemade beef stew, roasted chicken and vegetables, maple yogurt and so much more. He never lost his appetite. He fought so bravely and held so tightly onto life until the end when he couldn't hold on any longer and left us to follow the angels.  He took big pieces of our hearts with him. 

Fly high beautiful boy until we meet again. You are loved and missed beyond all measure. 💔♥️🐾🌈

https://vimeo.com/857834

image.png

• Like 4

MurphySings, I am so very, very sorry for your loss of someone who was clearly a very wonderful Cairn Terrier boy!  Murphy will live on in your hearts, and some day, when it is your turn to cross the Rainbow Bridge, he will be right there at the foot of it, waiting for you.  I am so glad you got a few weeks to spoil him, I lost my Molly to an hemangiosarcoma on her aorta, very suddenly, and was not even with her when she passed.  It is a dreadful, awful cancer indeed.

I am as like Brad tearing up especially with that wonderful song. I am so sorry at the loss of Murphy...it hits home so hard for all of us that they are here for only a short time in our lives . Take care, 🐾🐾💕💕

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I really do love old dogs - you can see their souls in their eyes.  And you certainly can see Murphy's in that photo - what an exceptional dog he was. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

I'm so  sorry for your loss. Murphy had such kind eyes. I know the feeling you spoke about when you said Murphy would stare into your eyes. Mine would do this too, and it felt like they were looking straight into our souls.

I'm sure Scout and Finch are welcoming Murphy as they run and chase butterflies until they can't run anymore. ((hugs))

Ya know .... I am not liking these notifications lately.  I am so sorry for the loss of another precious little joy.  Murphy's picture .... priceless.  We all love our each others cairns so much - that's what makes this site so special.  Life.  Thank God for the exciting thrill that we all felt when our little furry loves entered our lives.  Filled our hearts with overwhelming joy.  and 15 years later - our hearts are filled with overwhelming sorrow.  But .... wow ... what a gift ... can't imagine our lives without our joys.  God Bless.  

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Sending my condolences as well.  I know how badly your heart is broken, as I am sure we all do here.  In the Cairn Rescue group I was a part of, it was my job to send cards to the families of Cairns that had passed, and I felt their loss with each and every one.

One of the most beautiful passages I ever stumbled across was supposedly from the Cairn to its owner, advising him to give his bed, and dishes, and toys, and the lap of the owner, to another so it could be loved.  I found such comfort in that.  Mending my broken heart took another Cairn to do it.

I hope your sadness becomes joy at his memory.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...