CairnTalk

A Thin Coat

Tribo64

Hope this is the right place to post! If not, my apologies.

Most of you regulars know I just purchased my first Cairn and since he is my first, I'm not sure what to expect out of his coat. The pictures of all of your adorable dogs typically show a dog with longer, thicker hair... Charlie's is actually sort of thin and sparse, almost like that of say, a Daschund. It's wiry, just thin.

He is four months old and I thought, at first, that this was the reason... it just hadn't "grown in" yet. But I have seen pictures of other pups who are just furballs! Do Cairns vary in coat? Is it because he needs stripped? And GADS, I have attempted this (very briefly) and I simply cannot IMAGINE pulling out his hair! Does it really not hurt them? The General's step-by-step indicates that ALL of the hair be pulled out around his muzzle? Poor Charlie would probably DIE!

Looking forward to any info you long-time owners might have.

Tribo, if you could post a picture of Charlie, we'd have a better idea of what his coat looks like. It sounds like his coat has already been stripped, but I could be wrong. It really doesn't hurt them if you start working a little each day. Get them used to being handled and brushed. Offer treats throughout your mini-grooming sessions and it will help keep him calm and focused.

thela

Charlie's picture is posted here: Charlie's Pic

I would post it again but am not sure if I will run out of allotted space. These pics need to eventually come down, don't they?

At any rate, he came from a puppy farm (as noted in the post) so I know he has not been stripped. Perhaps his sad beginnings are why he has a less than optimal coat -- heck, though, for all I know he is just fine. Guess that's why I'm posting to begin with. I just don't know.

Cami's coat is not very thick either although she has a lot of fur on her legs and underbody. I was at a dog show last Saturday and saw some cairn pups there. When I asked the breeder about Cami's coat not being thick, she asked where I got her from. Once I told her that my breeder doesn't show her dogs, she immediately said that my pup would probably never have the same thick coat as her pups. :mad: Oh well, she could very well be telling the truth but I love dear Cami all the same. Another guy at the same breeder booth mentioned that the more you strip, the more fur they will grow. He said something about 10 fur replacing 1 stripped fur...

Madison looked very much like Charlie at 4 months only Maddy had ears like a rabbit. I thought her coat would never come in but it slowly started to thicken. I only stirpped her very rarely with the MKC. until she started looking shaggy.

Elliott wasn't fluffy as a puppy either but his coat was thicker....he will probably have the best coat of all of them but he did come from a wonderful breeder.

Here's Madison at 1 year...wish I had a pic of her "bald" on the computer. :shock:

posinggood.jpg

YAY!!!!! Thank You So Much! I have hope, now, that Charlie might actually grow some fur!! (Hands clapping) Now, if only he would find his bark. Just a little. Just one little bark. ;-)

Thank you for shopping at Costco Cairn. Our barks are available only by the pallet-load. We're out of stock right now, but your order will delivered within six months. We regret the delay. Please redeem this complimentary coupon for a free wet spot by the door as our token of our appreciation for your patience.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

You are too funny, Brad! Hey, I checked out (BRIEFLY -- I was at work but couldn't resist!) your website and am here to say your dogs are BEAUTIFUL! Very, very nice. ;-)

Archived