CairnTalk

More snow!

Bekah

We had a couple more inches of snow last night, so Liddy was out investigating. She likes to stick her nose in the snow and take a big sniff. Here's a picture of her with a fading snow mustache.

post-739-1109349728_thumb.jpg

Liddy is so adorable! Looks like we both took pictures yesterday in the snow.

Here's Scully - wearing for the first time - her doggy coat. This was a good choice because you can just put it over her back and it velcros around her neck and belly, VERY quick.

I can't wait until we get the fence in the spring because next year she'll really be able to have a ball running around in the snow which she loves. She was jumping up in the air trying to eat the snowflakes.

post-270-1109370947_thumb.jpg

Bosco likes to roll in the snow, but we are concerned about a couple of things:

1) Is it safe for the pups to eat clean/fresh snow? We don't want him to get sick from it. :(

2) When his coat/feet get caked with ice we need to use the hairdryer on the low setting. Has anyone else found a better method to de-ice?

Scully looks great in her doggy coat! It looks like its warm and, more importantly, easy to put on and take off.

Milopup, I've seen Liddy lick fresh snow, but I haven't seen her actually eat any. I'm not a vet, but I'd imagine it can't be too harmful for your pup to injest a little fresh snow...I know I used to do it as a kid!

Also, blow-drying Bosco's feet sounds like a great idea! With Liddy I usually melt her snow-feet with a warm towel (fresh out of the dryer), but I will have to dry the hairdryer next time. If the snow and ice really become a problem, I know that you can buy doggie booties to cover their feet. I've never tried this and can't imagine Liddy keeping booties on for too long.

Thanks Bekah. We tried booties before but Bosco kept chewing/pulling them off his feet. He did not like them at all. He does like wearing his fleece coat though. :)

When his coat/feet get caked with ice we need to use the hairdryer on the low setting.  Has anyone else found a better method to de-ice?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last year I discovered an easy way to deal with the ice/snow on feet...just run them under water and poof! Gone! I either hold her feet under the kitchen faucet or spray them off in the tub with the detachable hose. I wish I would've figured this trick out sooner! When you're done, just towel dry them, (and keep him inside until they're completely dry, or use the hair dryer like you mentioned.

Carolinasmom,

Thanks for that tip. Does your pup eat snow when she is playing around in it? Do you know if it is okay for them to eat a bit of snow?

:)

I don't notice that she eats the snow but when I take her for her daily walk, if she can get to some snow, she'll lick it as she walks. :lol: Of course snow has dirt in it from the air and I wouldn't eat it myself but I doubt it would hurt her. :P

Does your dog eat a lot of it or just munch on it?

Archived