CairnTalk

pet store cairns

hallswel

Ok, I am driving down a local highway in Snellville and what do I see a sign Cairn Terriers for sale on a pet store sign. So I stopped and went inside to see. Not one but two 9 week old male wheaten. They were not very active but the pen was clean I asked the owner if I could play with one and she let me, a family was looking at the other and all it wanted to do was curl up and sleep.

They asked me what I knew about Cairns and I told them I had one and that they made wonderful pets but you couldn't let them off leash and you needed a fence. I was quickly corrected by the owner of the pet store she let me know they were inside dogs. I told her mine was an inside dog but needed an area to run and play.

Anyway the family asked what I thought of the dogs, I told them they were cute and looked like cairns but I got mine from a breeder and he was a bit more lively and I got to see the parents.

What really surprised me was the cost $699.00 in a pet store. Now I paid more for Rebel but I also got the benefit of a breeder to help me with issues concerning training, grooming and general health. I can't imagine paying that kind of money for a dog and not seeing the parents. One thing they did have was a 6 month health guarantee and they had both been neutered. I guess when you breed for profit you neuter them when they are first born???

I will visit the puppies every weekend until they are gone, the store has great bird supplies and I can always buy something for our bird.

Yes I want another but not one of these little boys.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Guest pjoes_Girl

Get this one. I bought a pup from someone who was selling it in the paper, she had bought it a week before, also from the paper, and after i got him, i found out he was from a pet store... Not akc... aca whatever the heck that is...AND i'm not sure he's not fixed already too.... and the original owner paid.....1200 dollars! He's a gem, but i paid about a fourth of that...... he's healthy , and cute as a button, but i'd have never paid that much... just couldn't have... so i feel fortunate to have him at all....please don't make me feel bad that i got one that's not akc...and that he's from a pet store, he really is a nice dog...and the price was right for me , but a rather uneducated purchase at the time....all is well , or getting there (housetraining is rough stuff) OH, and i took him on his leash for a walk today, and he did great, which i love.... the only other dog i had that would take walks nicely was a collie...

You really worry about what kind of home the puppy will go to and hope they research about cairns they are so different from any other dog I have every owned. A very good different :)

I want to get at least one more, I am working with the breeder I got Reb from. But it will be a while but I can wait...I have Rebel

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Guest Darcy's mom

May I add my 2 cents worth about pet store puppies? When Dusty was alive, my husband bought her from a pet store in Tennessee. It was a surprise for me, as I has bought a male for him from a breeder in south Alabama. I saw his litter mates and both parents. This was a really good set up this gentleman had as the pups were in large fenced in, cement floor (best as I can remember) partly covered kennels. Anyway, I came home from work one evening and there on the couch is a little ball of fur (she was 6 wks. old which I now know is much too young to leave her litter or her mom). I went to pick her up and she was shaking and very nervous. All her life (13 years) she was afraid of her shadow and very timid. Also very cowed at times. I can't help but believe she was from a puppy mill even though she had papers. I vowed then and there never to purchase a dog from a pet store and I advise others to not make that same mistake I did. Dusty was very loving towards me but she just wasn't right.

Sandy

Bruschi and one other dog I had was from a pet store and so far those two seem to have the best temperments. Bruschi my cairn is very even-tempered and social. I think the thing is that if they are healthy...and weaned at a decent time...the sooner they are out of the pet store the better. A dog who is caged 24/7 will not be socialized well at crucial times.

I had in my life 2 dogs from breeders and 2 from pet stores. I have to honestly say the breeder dogs were more high strung. Not that I am promoting it of course, but I guess you get dogs from Rescues that may be pet store dogs and you just have to give the good dogs homes and hope for the best. :)

Archived