CairnTalk

Inherited dog

LittleBarbarian

This site has been a big help in understanding the dog I inherited recently. She was a rescue that my late mother adopted when she was 80 (my mother; the dog was 2ish). A Cairn. A lot of things about the dog confused me. We ran into other Cairns at the beach and they were much smaller, and barky. Bashful, (my dog), doesn't bark unless someone is bothering her. She isn't very Bashful, though. I guess maybe she was at some time. But not now, to the point I thought the name was ironic. When I put her out on the rope and she wants to come in, she barks once. I don't always hear the one bark, and keep her waiting, so she gives me dirty looks until I give her food or take her for a walk. Lots of personality. She has a fan club. But her behavior has been confusing at times, and so reading through the posts on this forum has been a big help. Anyway, I thought I'd sign up and say hi. 

• Like 5

Hi and welcome! Keeping us guessing is a favorite Cairn pastime it seems. Is Little Barbarian an alternate name for Bashful? At our house we often call to the other person "Barbarians at the gate!" when the dogs are at the patio slider looking to come back in after a potty break or some Squirrel Patrol.

Thanks for giving Bashful her next chapter. 👍

• Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi,

"Is Little Barbarian an alternate name for Bashful? "

Yes, I'd read that descriptor about Cairns and it rang true and became a nickname for Bashful. It goes to her tendency to grab, and often eat, unmentionable things in the woods, to run at and terrify entire flocks of Canada geese or wild turkeys -- and to jump into the sea when it's snowing and below freezing, among other things. 

• Like 2

"hi! congratulations on your little barbarian. as Brad suggests, she sounds a true cairn."

Thanks, and yes it's great to hear this from other Cairn people. My mother had a series of terriers over the years, but no Cairns, and Bashful is really unlike the other terriers in certain aspects. I'm always trying to balance what she wants to do with what I know isn't good for her (like eating disgusting things she finds in the woods). 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can commiserate that this site has been a big help in understanding the Cairn you inherited. CairnTalk was an important reason why I adopted my second little “Ball of Fire “... The learning curve had been so steep for me that I thought I should put my hard earned efforts to further use, but to be more accurate, I fell head over heels with this captivating breed.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

"CairnTalk was an important reason why I adopted my second little “Ball of Fire “"

That's great; I sometimes feel bad that my one doesn't have a full-time playmate, then I imagine what two of them would get up to..

• Haha 1