CairnTalk

Meet Dulce!

jburns

Hi all! I’m a first-time Cairn owner, and this site has been so helpful in getting to know the fun quirks and traits of our new pup, so thank you all! 

I didn’t even know that there was such a breed until we found Dulce on Craigslist. Her past family couldn’t continue to take care of her, so we lucked out and have a new best friend :) She’s a little over a year old and just about the sweetest thing I could imagine. 

She did come to us with a severe case of dry eye, and after some attempts at treatment we found that she’ll need surgery. But we have high hopes that she’ll have a smooth recovery! 

822D8DB6-2B42-4D49-8F5B-C7BB593A2DE0.jpeg

5E4846C7-A9BE-4A7F-849F-3C43571A9BB6.jpeg

C347DDEB-3B00-411D-A774-D04AD3A97D53.jpeg

16EEA18C-F0B4-40B4-874B-33060E35A84C.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi jburns and Dulce! Welcome from Oban, Angus, and me --  other Midwesterners (from Minneapolis to the west of you).

Dulce looks like a real keeper! 

Oh, and Oban and Angus approve of the blanket.  They have 3 of them throughout the house...perfect for Midwestern winters. They don't get Chinese take-out, though... :)

• 5 months later...

She's beautiful!! Is she a cuddle? We've had Jack Russells and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels  but this is our first Cairn too. He'll lick and show affection but nothing like our Cavalier male who is my velcro baby. 

Oh BTW, I lived toward the bottom of Old Sauk Rd for 2 years and worked at the U of W , Madison Hospital as a medical illustrator. 

One thing you will discover with Cairns ...they can be very cuddly, very affectionate, however it is all on their terms. If they are not in the mood to be cuddling with you ..forget it.A totally independent dog in many ways. Gotta love a terrier. 🐾🐾💕

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

A Cairn can be cuddly but not velcro like a Cavalier. I've lived with both and a couple of Jack Russells also. Cav very willing to do whatever wanted. Jack Russell and Cairn learned much quicker but Cairn often only agreed to do what asked if there was anything for him in it! Quite naughty - often for the fun of it for him but also very amusing and entertaining. Willing to go any where for the fun of it. Rarely if ever afraid. Small in body but a giant in heart. As he matured ( around two to three years old) he became a close companion often snuggling close up by me on chair or sofa.

Dulce will be a great addition to your family. Lovely looking gal! Hope things go well with the eye. 

Edited by Hillscreek

Yay for another Madison Cairn! :) Dulce is probably a bit more cuddly than the average Cairn, but definitely appreciates her alone time too. She can get pretty bossy when she wants to be cuddled too, which is of course adorable! But she’ll usually curl up pretty close to us for naps or to just hang out. 

Thank you all for the well-wishes for her eyes too! She had a successful surgery a few months ago and has recovered well. Her eyes can get a little cloudy sometimes, but that’s because of the minerals in her saliva - they rerouted her salivary glands into her eyes so they stay wet. Now we’re just waiting for her face hair to grow all the way back 😂

B28E73AA-5A00-426D-929E-EB07DF906C3F.jpeg

• Like 4

Dulce looks like she has rebounded from her surgery successfully in typical cairn style.

I have a "cavalier" story for you: we had a dear neighbor, Vern, who owned a cairn for many many years (named Angus, and our Angus is named in honor of that cairn).  Vern was a retired educator and an artist who always had his Angus by his side - they were inseparable. Angus even went to Vern's studio daily, and they walked our neighborhood and down to the Mississippi (just a mile or so from here) every day.  Angus lived to a respectable 15 years, and Vern truly grieved him when he was gone.  He insisted he would not get another dog at his age, but neighbors found a rescue cavalier in need of a home, and Vern took him in.  We ran into the two walking one spring day in a light rain soon after he got the dog, and we asked how well they both were adjusting.  And Vern told us, with wonder in his voice, that in a walk in the rain, the "dog gets wet!" He had to towel the dog off -- something he never had to do with his coarse-haired cairn Angus, who just gave a shake and shed the rain easily. When we saw him walking again in the rain a week or so later, the dog had a raincoat. But after that Vern often mentioned his previous "all-weather" dog, and how he now had such a "high maintenance" one..."Dogs should not have to wear clothes," he used to say, shaking his head...

We miss him and his dog too.

• Like 4

Beautiful story but nothing is as dear as a Cavalier boy. They are velcro and tender angels. This little fellow came from, I'm ashamed to say a lying Amish breeder in Ohio and is practically feral!  We were told he was home raised but saw he was in a garage and smelled of urine and no socialization or training!  We felt like we had to rescue him at that point and he's so dang cute. He's learning fast though. 

Screenshot_20210626-203024_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2