CairnTalk

New Cairn Puppy Coming Home Soon :D

Pogo Taishi E.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Hope you all have a wonderful and safe Christmas and all of your puppies had lots of fun today too!

Attached is soon-to-be-ours new puppy Pogo saying hello to you all! :D

What did you do this Christmas? 

My Christmas Day has been really special this year -- I've been making a list of all the essential supplies for Pogo coming after New Years Day lol

May I ask you experts some questions in terms of the supplies? 

- What shampoo? I saw Isle of dogs NO.33 and Moosh, which one do you prefer or is there anything else to recommend?

- What brand of plastic kennel do you recommend?

- Dog food and diet! Don't know which one is better and contains all the nutrition he needs...

- What are the toys your Cairn loves?

- Bug/tick treatment

- Toothbrush and paste recommendations

If you would love to share photos of your Cairns please do so, looking at their photos just makes me happy and let's make friends!

IMG_9114-1.jpeg

• Like 2

Congratulations... Your pooch is adorable!💕 

Assuming that you got your cairn from a breeder, that would be the place to start for most of your questions re food, toys, toothpaste, bug/tick treatments, etc. 

i would recommend getting a Vet in place. (This will also be a good source of info). You could ask for vet recommendations from folks walking their dogs in your area or at local dog run if one exists nearby.

Caveat: Some vets have never had experience with cairns. This doesn’t disqualify them, but serves as an example of why this site is so valuable for info and guidance for us!

P.S. To properly maintain the unique texture of cairn coat and avoid “softening” it, only use a shampoo for “harsh or rough” coat.

it looks like your are off to a wonderful start to a Happy New Year!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Pogo puppy pandemonium ahead!

Good advice from Sanford 👍 

We rarely (if ever) shampoo our Cairns. Isle of Dogs had a nice terrier coat shampoo at one time; I think their site now recommends their "lush coat."  Over the course of 26 years what we've used the most is a self-rinsing shampoo — we just spritz it on with a sprayer to soak the coat or area needing a clean-up,  towel it in, and towel it mostly dry. We only ever shampoo a dog though if it's gotten into something really foul or messy. In general we find that keeping them groomed (brushed out and stripped occasionally) keeps them fresh and earthy-in-the-good-way.

We use an assortment of both wire and plastic crates. Midwest, Kennel-Aire for the wire and assorted  VariKennels, PetMates and Kennel-Cabs for the plastic. 

Although we have a giant mound of toys accumulated over the years, probably the most reliable toy puppies have loved have been empty plastic water bottles! They love the noisy racket the bottles make as they bat them around, the crackle of the thin plastic as they chew them, and the unpredictable way they move around due to their shape. You must keep a Very Close Eye on the condition of the bottles though and take them away (or replace them) when the bottle gets brittle or begins to crack from chewing. You do not want plastic splinters to be eaten or cut the pup. For extra security it's also a good idea to cut off the the little plastic ring the cap leaves behind so a pup can't get a tooth hooked under it or pry it off and eat it.

Hide-a-Bee or Hide-a-Squirrel and other similar 'take them apart' type toys are sometimes popular with slightly older puppies. 

Congrats and make sure you keep your patience and sense of humor. The Cairn love will take care of itself :) Have fun! 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hello adorable Pogo!

Agree with above suggestions.

I used fold up wire crates which were good for travelling as we did quite a bit. Rarely shampooed Angus's coat. Somehow that rough outer coat keeps itself and the soft undercoat clean and sweet smelling. Brushing, towelling when wet. On rare occasion used Isle of Dogs shampoo for rough coated dog. 

Angus able to chew and tear the toughest of toys.  So whatever you give Pogo to play with keep an eye out.

Agree get a vet in place. One who knows the terrier breed and in particular the cairn terrier. 

At first suggest feed what he's eating when he comes to you then transition if you want to what you think is best.

Also suggest an xpen to keep him confined when young and house training.

Good luck.

Fun and wild times coming your way.

• Like 2

Back when I was a novice cairn owner, I was incredulous to learn that some folks claimed to have never bathed their cairns - others maybe once or twice a year.

i was also told that the breed has no natural body odor and this has been true of both my cairns. I bury my face in the coat and all I smell is a faint, natural musky odor. Some have described it as “dust”, others as “hay”... Another reason to be in awe of this incredible breed!❤️

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Right Sanford I think 'Hay' is the word I was searching for. In any case a smell so enjoyable and so unlike any other dog I've owned. Nothing remotely "doggy"  about it.

• Like 2

We only washed our Cairns (oh, how I miss them!) when they rolled in nasty smelling stuff. They really don't need to be washed, and doing too often can dry their skin.

One toy that my pups loved was the Kongs. We had a handful of the small size and stuffed them with peanut butter and canned dog food. We kept a bag of Kongs in the freezer and took them out as a treat.

• Like 2

Ditto here on above advise. Sam is 3.5 yrs old and only ever has had one complete shampoo besides dirty legs and paws. I personally home cook and feed raw...a lot of vets don’t like that but mine has approved our dogs diets. Good high end kibble will keep your Cairn from smelling.

My advise  is to not ever trust your Cairn off leash unless in a fenced in area. Their prey drive, be it a furry little animals or basically anything that looks like it’s a good thing to chase, will result in a Cairn running a lot faster than you will ever be able to with potentially fatal results. They are not known to be good on recall as they will focus 100% on what they are chasing.Be patient..Cairns are Terriers and will test you ..a lot. Be firm but kind. It takes a lot of Cairn 2-3 yrs to mature . 

They are wonderful dogs, very smart but they definitely have their own opinions.😋

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Welcome to  the best source of information and support!

We have a 3 1/2 yr old Katie the Cairn. She is our first Cairn, she is and has been a handful. Even after After 40+ years with Westies, she is a challenge. She has added a lot of "spark" to our quiet life!

My recommendations...

I concur with all of the above.

Be sure to Cairn proof your home before he arrives. 2 feet from ground level, remove all that can be chewed or swallowed. For us, having Pet Insurance was "a good thing" as Katie is a canine vacuum leaner! 

Our Katie has a roomy wire cage for sleeping and safely holding her when we have to go out without her. A stuffed Kong upon leaving her is always a welcomed treat.

Katie is sent out every 2 months for a bath and a tidying. We are near the ocean and do not have lawns. She picks up dust and dirt on her walk and the occasional digging.  She is brushed and raked frequently for a nice shiny coat. No smell. We use #1 All Systems "Crisp Coat". Her groomer is a former breeder/judge of Cairns. 

An x-pen is a valuable asset to have. Easy to move around and place where needed..

A fun read: Born to Bark by Stanley Coren.

Toys: for Katie: anything that squeaks or has a squeaker!  Any anything that will hold & distribute treats.

Enjoy, enjoy!

Be sure to post photos and stories!!!!

Cheers!

Dianne

• Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, sanford said:

Congratulations... Your pooch is adorable!💕 

Assuming that you got your cairn from a breeder, that would be the place to start for most of your questions re food, toys, toothpaste, bug/tick treatments, etc. 

i would recommend getting a Vet in place. (This will also be a good source of info). You could ask for vet recommendations from folks walking their dogs in your area or at local dog run if one exists nearby.

Caveat: Some vets have never had experience with cairns. This doesn’t disqualify them, but serves as an example of why this site is so valuable for info and guidance for us!

P.S. To properly maintain the unique texture of cairn coat and avoid “softening” it, only use a shampoo for “harsh or rough” coat.

it looks like your are off to a wonderful start to a Happy New Year!

Thank you so much Sanford! Nice to meet you!:)

After I read your reply, I contacted my breeder and her partner happen to live in the same city as us, so they recommended us a brilliant vet who is very experienced with this breed. I'm calling the vet tomorrow to find out more info. So thankful that you mentioned it! 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, bradl said:

Pogo puppy pandemonium ahead!

Good advice from Sanford 👍 

We rarely (if ever) shampoo our Cairns. Isle of Dogs had a nice terrier coat shampoo at one time; I think their site now recommends their "lush coat."  Over the course of 26 years what we've used the most is a self-rinsing shampoo — we just spritz it on with a sprayer to soak the coat or area needing a clean-up,  towel it in, and towel it mostly dry. We only ever shampoo a dog though if it's gotten into something really foul or messy. In general we find that keeping them groomed (brushed out and stripped occasionally) keeps them fresh and earthy-in-the-good-way.

We use an assortment of both wire and plastic crates. Midwest, Kennel-Aire for the wire and assorted  VariKennels, PetMates and Kennel-Cabs for the plastic. 

Although we have a giant mound of toys accumulated over the years, probably the most reliable toy puppies have loved have been empty plastic water bottles! They love the noisy racket the bottles make as they bat them around, the crackle of the thin plastic as they chew them, and the unpredictable way they move around due to their shape. You must keep a Very Close Eye on the condition of the bottles though and take them away (or replace them) when the bottle gets brittle or begins to crack from chewing. You do not want plastic splinters to be eaten or cut the pup. For extra security it's also a good idea to cut off the the little plastic ring the cap leaves behind so a pup can't get a tooth hooked under it or pry it off and eat it.

Hide-a-Bee or Hide-a-Squirrel and other similar 'take them apart' type toys are sometimes popular with slightly older puppies. 

Congrats and make sure you keep your patience and sense of humor. The Cairn love will take care of itself :) Have fun! 

Nice meeting you Bradl!

Thank you very much for all the helpful information! May I ask what brand of self-rinsing shampoo do you use?

My mother-in-laws dogs' only toy was empty plastic bottles and they never get tired of it! I always helped her pick up those bottle caps and plastic loops hidden in the grass in her front yard so that dogs wouldn't accidentally hurt themselves, what a coincidence! 

And lots of others mentioned anything with squeaky sound too, so I guess our Pogo's toy has been chosen: mostly plastic bottles and maybe some other mental stimulating treat kongs! yay!

And I would love to see your little Cairn too :D

On 12/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, Hillscreek said:

Hello adorable Pogo!

Agree with above suggestions.

I used fold up wire crates which were good for travelling as we did quite a bit. Rarely shampooed Angus's coat. Somehow that rough outer coat keeps itself and the soft undercoat clean and sweet smelling. Brushing, towelling when wet. On rare occasion used Isle of Dogs shampoo for rough coated dog. 

Angus able to chew and tear the toughest of toys.  So whatever you give Pogo to play with keep an eye out.

Agree get a vet in place. One who knows the terrier breed and in particular the cairn terrier. 

At first suggest feed what he's eating when he comes to you then transition if you want to what you think is best.

Also suggest an xpen to keep him confined when young and house training.

Good luck.

Fun and wild times coming your way.

Nice to meet you and thank you for your reply!

We went out and got an xpen today after I saw your recommendations. And I've always loved the "stink stank" from puppies, can't wait to be able to constantly smelling my Pogo, awweeee~~~

On 12/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, Eliz222 said:

We only washed our Cairns (oh, how I miss them!) when they rolled in nasty smelling stuff. They really don't need to be washed, and doing too often can dry their skin.

One toy that my pups loved was the Kongs. We had a handful of the small size and stuffed them with peanut butter and canned dog food. We kept a bag of Kongs in the freezer and took them out as a treat.

Hi Elizz, nice to meet you!!

Kongs in the freezer is a smart idea! :P

Did they like playing fetch with you?

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 6:49 PM, Sam I Am said:

Ditto here on above advise. Sam is 3.5 yrs old and only ever has had one complete shampoo besides dirty legs and paws. I personally home cook and feed raw...a lot of vets don’t like that but mine has approved our dogs diets. Good high end kibble will keep your Cairn from smelling.

My advise  is to not ever trust your Cairn off leash unless in a fenced in area. Their prey drive, be it a furry little animals or basically anything that looks like it’s a good thing to chase, will result in a Cairn running a lot faster than you will ever be able to with potentially fatal results. They are not known to be good on recall as they will focus 100% on what they are chasing.Be patient..Cairns are Terriers and will test you ..a lot. Be firm but kind. It takes a lot of Cairn 2-3 yrs to mature . 

They are wonderful dogs, very smart but they definitely have their own opinions.😋

Hi Sam, nice to meet you!!!

I would love to try home cooked food and raw food to my Pogo, not only because I personally love doing that, but also I want Pogo to have a more "similar to how they naturally eat" kind of diet, and there are so many benefits! I got some Merrick dry dog food as a transit or blend in, but not sure how to balance the nutritions he needs if I cook or feed him raw, I would love to learn from you!  And btw, does Sam drink goat milk?

1 hour ago, Dianne said:

Welcome to  the best source of information and support!

We have a 3 1/2 yr old Katie the Cairn. She is our first Cairn, she is and has been a handful. Even after After 40+ years with Westies, she is a challenge. She has added a lot of "spark" to our quiet life!

My recommendations...

I concur with all of the above.

Be sure to Cairn proof your home before he arrives. 2 feet from ground level, remove all that can be chewed or swallowed. For us, having Pet Insurance was "a good thing" as Katie is a canine vacuum leaner! 

Our Katie has a roomy wire cage for sleeping and safely holding her when we have to go out without her. A stuffed Kong upon leaving her is always a welcomed treat.

Katie is sent out every 2 months for a bath and a tidying. We are near the ocean and do not have lawns. She picks up dust and dirt on her walk and the occasional digging.  She is brushed and raked frequently for a nice shiny coat. No smell. We use #1 All Systems "Crisp Coat". Her groomer is a former breeder/judge of Cairns. 

An x-pen is a valuable asset to have. Easy to move around and place where needed..

A fun read: Born to Bark by Stanley Coren.

Toys: for Katie: anything that squeaks or has a squeaker!  Any anything that will hold & distribute treats.

Enjoy, enjoy!

Be sure to post photos and stories!!!!

Cheers!

Dianne

Nice to meet you Dianne!

I'm really happy that I found this network, everyone is so loving, helpful and informative! 

Yes we got an x-pen today after I saw all the responses lol

And what a fun life you are having with Katie, I can already imagine her attitude just by reading your stories, so cute!! lol

Yes I will keep posting life of Pogo, we are picking him up after 1.1.2021, so exciting! We would to see more Katie's photos and read more of her stories too! :D

We always kept our pups on kibble till they were adults At that point we switched  to home and raw. Puppies caloric, vitamins/mineral needs are trickier to meet in my opinion.

I have our recipe listed under resources,Cookbook, Rosie dog recipes. It’s meant for a 20 lb dog. I don’t know where you are situated but if you are interested in finding more about alternative integrated veterinary care do a search for holistic clinics.

I don’t feed bones anymore as our Scottie landed up with a slab fracture on a large molar which had to be extracted. We do try to brush there teeth everyday, start with your pup and they get used to it and love the taste. And no we don’t feed any form of milk as their diet is complete and milk can cause the Hersey squirts.😳

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

18 hours ago, Pogo Taishi E. said:

Hi Elizz, nice to meet you!!

Kongs in the freezer is a smart idea! :P

Did they like playing fetch with you?

Nice to meet you too! Yes, they both loved to play fetch, especially Finch. When ANYONE would stand up from their chair, she would run to her ball and then run to the back door with the ball in her mouth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have only bathed my two Cairns once or twice - they do get rinsed in the shower if really muddy.  They do not smell like some dogs!  Also - get pet insurance immediately!!! They eat anything that touches the ground and are FAST at grabbing and hiding!  A Mars #10 comb works wonders on getting their coats cleaned up.  I have one with a high prey drive and had to put x-pens around our front entry to keep her from escaping.  Crate train your baby to get used to sleeping in her crate when you are gone.  We have crates in the family room and in the bedroom for bedtime.  The crates were never used as punishment and my Cairns love their crates.  They are very smart and let you know if there is an intruder at the door or in the yard!  I can't imagine life without my Cairns.

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

On 12/28/2020 at 2:07 PM, Sam I Am said:

We always kept our pups on kibble till they were adults At that point we switched  to home and raw. Puppies caloric, vitamins/mineral needs are trickier to meet in my opinion.

I have our recipe listed under resources,Cookbook, Rosie dog recipes. It’s meant for a 20 lb dog. I don’t know where you are situated but if you are interested in finding more about alternative integrated veterinary care do a search for holistic clinics.

I don’t feed bones anymore as our Scottie landed up with a slab fracture on a large molar which had to be extracted. We do try to brush there teeth everyday, start with your pup and they get used to it and love the taste. And no we don’t feed any form of milk as their diet is complete and milk can cause the Hersey squirts.😳

Thank you! I will for sure check out and try your recipes. I made some beef liver training treats for him and he loves it, made training so much easier lol. Not sure how much he can eat per day, so I give him as little as I can to monitor him 😂

On 12/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, Eliz222 said:

Nice to meet you too! Yes, they both loved to play fetch, especially Finch. When ANYONE would stand up from their chair, she would run to her ball and then run to the back door with the ball in her mouth!

That is so cute! I wish Pogo can learn fetch soon 😆

On 12/30/2020 at 6:53 PM, Pepper Bug's Mom said:

I have only bathed my two Cairns once or twice - they do get rinsed in the shower if really muddy.  They do not smell like some dogs!  Also - get pet insurance immediately!!! They eat anything that touches the ground and are FAST at grabbing and hiding!  A Mars #10 comb works wonders on getting their coats cleaned up.  I have one with a high prey drive and had to put x-pens around our front entry to keep her from escaping.  Crate train your baby to get used to sleeping in her crate when you are gone.  We have crates in the family room and in the bedroom for bedtime.  The crates were never used as punishment and my Cairns love their crates.  They are very smart and let you know if there is an intruder at the door or in the yard!  I can't imagine life without my Cairns.

Thank you so much for your precious tips!!!

Now my Pogo's getting used to the crate very well, and he stays in there unless I tell him to come out, then he comes out.

Does your Pepper whine in the xpen? So far I've been trying to teach him to mild down separation anxiety. Please let me know if there's any effective way that you've tried!😇