CairnTalk

Cairn with white on chest.

Guest EHudgins

Guest EHudgins

I recently bought a cairn terrier from an add in a paper here in Indiana. I haven't received the papers for the puppy yet. He is supposed to be ckc registered. I'm just curious to know if anyone thinks he may not be full-blooded. He is solid black with a long white patch of fur on his chest. Is that impossible for a full-blooded cairn terrier, or just unfavorable?

Guest EHudgins

I'll have to post a photo tomorrow. The patch is solid white, other than that, I think he looks like a cairn. I grew up with one, I should have known better, but it completely escaped me when I bought him.

Guest webstar

From what I read in cairn books any white only stops them from being show quality. It wouldn't hurt their pet quality and thats all I'm interested in. MG

Calli is a rescue Cairn - a puppy mill bred baby. She is wheaton in color but her entire belly is white (nope, not pale blond - white). (I have no doubt that she is one hundred percent Cairn. Clearly she is not show quality.)

One of Cami's littermate has a white patch on her chest and the breeder had her on limited AKC registration. If I am not mistaken, this means the dog cannot be bred. Otherwise, she is indeed a pure Cairn...

Archived