CairnTalk

Car Traveling

Marmielin

I'm fairly new to this forum and do more reading than posting, but I have a dilemma. How do you all restrain your cairns when in the car? My 6-month old female, Tink, likes to sit in the back window and look out. Cute, but not too safe. I've been tempted to order a dog car seat, but don't know if she would stay in it. Does anyone out there have one, and will your dog stay in it. She used to ride in her crate and was good, but we felt guilty because she couldn't see anything. I know safety is more important than entertainment, but my DH has a soft heart for dogs and lets her have her way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

lb

Marmielin

We use crates. We keep two in each car pretty much permanently. Safety trumps entertainment for us. They are also quieter and more relaxed when they can't look out, settling in after just a few minutes, if not immediately.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have a jeep liberty and I use the wire mess between the back seat and back compartment and my Father built this wonderful shelf for the back. This makes a much smaller area and they can see out which is important to Rebel. If we travel with anyone else they travel in a crate for safety reasons. I can still store things like water, food, etc under the shelf so it is perfect. When I don't have the dogs it gives me the extra space for groceries or whatever I might purchase.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

This has always been a challenge for me b/c Carolina hates the car once we hit 40 mph or faster. This dog has been traveling in a car almost daily since the day I brought her home. She's fine if the windows are open, even if just a bit. That doesn't happen in the winter though so she's a basket case.

She has a car harness that I use once in awhile but she still gets very nervous and struggles. The seatbelt hooks through it. I wish she liked it. Recently I put my cat's small carrier in the car for her which she can lay down in. I put the seatbelt through the handle to secure it. I will admit I don't put her in it everytime. She calms down if I just put a hand on her. She too loves to lay in the back window when the other windows are open. She loves the air. It's definitely NOT safe though.

If we travel across the state I have to get sedatives from the vet. Even those don't calm her down much.

She just turned 7 so obv. I will always have to deal with this...she's not growing out of it!

We use a car seat for Logan. It hooks in with the seat belt and he is secured to it via his harness. I wouldn't have it any other way. He gets a great, oh poor me look on his face, but he soon figures out that he is staying put. This way he is safe, we are safe and he can see out the window. Here is the link if you want to look. We have the black one and it works beautifully. he has more than enough room.

http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/ODon%20Pho...20Composite.jpg

I think it is around $100.00 but well worth it. I view it as when you bring home a baby. We would never think of placing a baby on the back seat to roll around. You will get a lot of converts as people see this in your car by the way. They think it is goofy until you explain that the dog never gets under your feet or in your lap.

Ann

Thank you all for the input. I just ordered the car seat - $67. I will have to purchase a harness, but it will be worth it to feel safe with her. I'll feel better knowing she is secured in the car.

Lindab

Marmielin

Archived