CairnTalk

Goodbye my sweet girl

anniegirl

June 11 2020 was one of the saddest days of my life. My little friend Dixie at age 13 1/2 lost her struggle to Diabetes and suspected Cushings Disease. We are devastated and though our efforts seemed to be working, it was not enough. Now reading various articles about the two diseases it almost seems like Cushings comes first and then it can trigger diabetes. She was not officially diagnosed with Cushings but was treated for diabetes. It became very complicated and catastrophic in the end for my girl. Her compulsive obsession with food every day caused her to eat everythng in site, and she got in to birdseed under a feeder, which caused a blockage. After a ultrasound it proved she was a Cushionoid dog. The surgery to remove the blockage went well and she was on the mend.... then after 8 seizures over 6 hours we had to let her go. It was terrifying to watch and I just can't get over what her last moments did to her little body.

I know its too late for her,  but if anyone has any info on the 2 diseases together I would be grateful, I just feel the need for more answers.

My heart is broken.

20200611_072853.jpg

DSC08891.JPG

DSC08915.JPG

• Sad 1

I'm no help with these diseases but like others I know how hard it is to lose a beloved buddy and friend. So sorry for your loss of Dixie -a lovely girl.

• Like 1

• Thank you for your kind words and understanding.  The house is so quiet now and I see her around every corner although she is not there. Her love,  and our fun times were a blessing I know, I will never forget her 

The photos of you and Dixie are heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. They certainly do leave a huge void in our lives. 

My sincere condolences on the loss of your precious Dixie.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

My sympathies. I also have no advice  to share with you on these conditions , but I do share the terrible grief  as so many of us have on the loss of  our beloved dogs . I truly believe there is nothing more heartbreaking than losing them. ......you are a wonderful pet parent and did what you could, and in the end you gave her great relief and sent sweet  Dixie on her new journey.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We had a yellow lab with cushings - everyone thought diabetes at first due to the intense thirst - but another vet took a look and immediately diagnosed cushings due to lack of muscle tone in his face.  That dog ate everything in sight - glasses, a Costco family pack of pork chops, crumbs from a toaster on Easter Sunday, etc.  It was horrible.  His tail kept hitting the walls and then would bleed everywhere.  He made it 1 year with medication.  He passed away at 13 years so we did good but it is a horrible disease!!! I weep for you and your precious, beautiful Dixie.  She was indeed a lovely dog and very well loved.   

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

yes just sympathy, we have all been there, you and Dixie did well. you were with her, she took care of her, you loved her. for dogs that is all there is. I'm so sorry, you will not get over it, but you will be well and give Dixie's love to another deserving soul. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  Dixie has the sweetest pictures.  She knew you were her best buddy too.  If she could ease your heart she would.  13 1/2 years has lots of memories.  Most of us know the feeling of losing our best friends and we wish we could by-pass that grief but that's the price of all the good times that you share, all the laughs, the licks, hugs, walks, vet check ups, baths, adventures, meals, tv watching, on  sunny days, rainy days, gloomy days, windy days, snowy days and 13 1/2 years of holidays and celebrations ... each day we share is a great gift until that one day.  Dixie has given you so much to remember ... that in itself is the best gift ever.  God Bless.  

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori