CairnTalk

Kathryn says post something...so let’s do that

Sam I Am

I agree its  time we all posted something! It’s not like most of us are out and about...at least I hope you are not.😖 I live in the middle of Alberta and usually we have 6 months of snow so self isolating has been a bit of a challenge...I am envious of those folks that live in milder climates who can walk their dogs without dressing ones self and the dogs in boots and coats while practicing distancing. But I think spring has arrived at last..we still have a bit of snow, and the ground is frozen so gardening is going to have to be at least a month away..sigh. But Sam and Rosie have to have their daily walks all year round. One cannot ignore Sam’s whining, then demanding barks if we don’t take our  walks. The plus side is that we at least walk a couple of miles a day now that it is getting warmer, which is great not only for the dogs but for us. Baking has become all to much of a thing to do when I have to much time on my hands at the moment which is for some reason or another causing my jeans to feel a bit to snug. Plus to make matters worse I have a friend who is a fabulous baker, who  also walks her dog past our house, leaving these amazing baked goods on our front step.

The world is kind of crazy right now. So as Kathryn suggested in Bark box share your stories, jokes, wisdom, pictures....most of us have too much time on our hands at the moment so let’s lighten each other’s day with sharing. As Martha S used to say....Its a good thing.

Hug your dogs today, they make you motivated to stay healthy, put a smile daily on your face, and as all things this difficult time too will pass.Stay healthy. Relax, have a cup of tea and some goodies.

278C0237-96F0-4B71-9A99-1B5D3FA4596E.jpeg

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Gus very frustrated at not being able to get close to my mom. She is 97 and doing well at her retirement home. We are very lucky on Vancouver Island to have beautiful spring weather and a flattened curve.

299401DF-1AB7-4EE6-A4CC-1F1EC3197A5F.jpeg

• Like 4

Beautiful pix...Thanks!

Ruffy and I are sitting in Central Park, NYC right now on a pleasant cool early evening. Lots of walkers, joggers along the bridal path. I’m wearing a light jacket, mask and latex gloves. 

As you say, most of us are not out and about these days, so I have some idea what it’s like when winter keeps you cooped up inside, in Alberta. What makes the difference for me is having Ruffy for company. I can’t imagine the feeling of emptiness without him. I’m sure you feel the same. Aren’t we lucky?😀

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

You bet Sanford! There is nothing like the total love and affection these dogs give us with no other strings attached. They make us go out everyday to walk them regardless of the weather....well I do draw the line when it gets below -25 C . Love the stories and pictures...all wonderful. 🤗 Hopefully other members will post also.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

We're getting by okay here in Illinois.  It looks like Spring is finally here so that's helping to lift our spirits.  

Nattie is gradually becoming accustomed to life as an only dog.  (We lost Ziggy about two months ago.)  She's had a hard time of it, having depended on Alpha Ziggy to take charge and know what to do.  She had really begun enjoying the dog park - just before the dog parks were closed.  :(  We've found a few "wild" spots where we can walk her, however, and she's been loving all the new sights and scents.  Rides in the car are also a bit hit.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

• Like 1

Warm and sunny here. Perfect for our short walks. Town is quiet. People practicing social distancing and Katie hating it all! 

She reveled in the attention of folks and encountering other walking pups. 

Last Saturday morning we found her staring out the french doors to the deck.

We followed her eyesight and discovered she had spied a Turkey Vulture sitting on the power line next to the house. He stayed an hour or and then returned later in the day. I had never seen one this close. We kept Katie inside the rest of the day. 

When she is outside on the deck, she loves to bark at the small birds that come in the yard. 

Cheers!

04182020.jpg

t vulture.jpg

• Like 2

Wow....I didn’t realize those birds lived in California. Kind of creepy!

Spring has sprung in Alberta...at last. Sam is helping by doing some excavation work. We have an understanding...you can dig under the big pine trees if you leave my flowers and veggie garden alone.

B03A947C-C484-47BD-B991-8C76B5389500.jpeg

• Like 1

This year, for some reason, our au natural unfenced yard has a proliferation of gophers !

We often take Katie out on a leash into the yard for a quick potty.

She amazingly can detect the recently excavated holes and mounds, ignoring the older mounds. 

She will dig a bit discovering the gopher's underground tunnel. At that point we pull her out, brush her out/off, and refill the hole.

I often think that when I see her paws twitch as she naps, that she is bolting the critter! One can dream😊

Cheers!

gopher hole.jpg

• Like 1

It’s in the eighties here and the magnolias are blooming. We have the ac and fans on every night, so these little burrowers like to bury their faces in their blanket when they drop in to visit.  We wash our hands after handling the neighbor’s dogs and the dogs have gotten baths every week so we have not social distanced from our landlord’s pets. I hope if anyone gets sick they’ll be courteous to keep the dogs inside. Marley awakens me most mornings by scratching and barking at the front door and whining pitifully for company. He’ll carry on for an hour if I attempt to ignore him and Mom doesn’t hear him. Of course I’m not going to be cruel and leave him out in the rain on a wet day but I don’t always appreciate a furry alarm clock on sunny days. Lol. Especially since we’re paying to live in peace here, not have our schedules ruled by someone else’s dogs. But the pups have conned my mom into giving them treats every time all four of them come over so I guess we’re stuck in their routine now. If only I could get them to stick to the time the clock says instead of begging us two or three hours early and then begging again on time if we relent and feed them early. It doesn’t count. Brats, lol. 

6DDB8983-4CFD-491E-B35A-D3D3531BDB0E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1