CairnTalk

Cairns and Hobby Farms

sunshinedd

I am new to the Cairn world and am seriously considering a new puppy to add to my family.

We have a family of 5 with 3 kids ages 2, 9, and 12. We are avid animal lovers and currently have 2 labs, 4 horses, 2 cats, 2 lizards, 2 turtles, and 2 ferret. I fell like Noah sometimes!

I have liked just about everything I have read so far about Cairns but need some help with a couple topics.

How feasible is to have a Cairn on a hobby farm? we have 160 acres and our home is smack dab int he middle. Roads and traffic are not an issue, but fields and woods for roaming are many. I have had pets int he past that need to be consistenly restrained when outside and do not want to do that again.

What do they cost? I am not to thepoint where I want to contact individual breeders but cannot seem to find information on the going rate.

I am interested in becoming a breeder, not a back yard breeder, but a reputable breeder of an excellent and versatile dog. Will it be difficult to find mentors and support in this endeavor?

Thanks so much for your advice and help.

I am interested in becoming a breeder, not a back yard breeder, but a reputable breeder of an excellent and versatile dog. Will it be difficult to find mentors and support in this endeavor?

These are my opinions only. It's easy if you know where to look! As the AKC parent club for the Cairn Terrier in the United States, the Cairn Terrier Club of America very much serves to facilitate responsible breeding and stewardship of this wonderful breed.

There are many paths and I don't mean to suggest the one I describe is the only one, just one I have seen work time and time again. From what I can see, the usual path to responsible breeding of quality Cairns includes acquiring and showing (to Championship) a couple of Cairns in order to acquire an understanding and appreciation of the finer points (and pitfalls) of the breed, and to refine your objectives for your breeding program. In most cases, the person from whom you acquire your foundation bitch will be an active and interested mentor, as they are putting the future of their own good name in your hands.

Most folks join a regional affiliated club , and, particularly if no regional club is even close, a local all-breed club. To learn about responsible breeding, go where the responsible breeders are. To meet Cairn breeders and see large numbers of Cairns in one place, attend any of the regional or national specialties. Upcoming events are listed in the Forthcoming Calendar Events section of the forum front page (scroll down). Specialties are heavenly and I encourage any Cairn lover to attend one, even if they have no interest at all in breeding - just to see somewhere between several dozen to well over a hundred Cairns in one place.

By participating as a Cairn exhibitor and by attending Cairn events of all kinds you will definitely develop relationships with many Cairn folk. After demonstrating sustained interest in the breed you will have the qualifications (see How To Join on the home page) and the personal sponsors to join the national club.

All along the way, you will have been enjoying life with the Best Little Pal.

On a more serious note - it is only fair to mention that while the joys are many, there can be an awful lot of heartache involved too. One breeder told me if you keep at it long enough, every thing that can happen, will happen, and some of those things are heartbreaking. For sure, the kids will be learn the 'miracle of death' as well as the miracle of life.

Jane Anderson has a comprehensive Learn to Breed web site, well worth exploring.

Welcome, and best of luck in your research.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

How feasible is to have a Cairn on a hobby farm? we have 160 acres and our home is smack dab int he middle. Roads and traffic are not an issue, but fields and woods for roaming are many. I have had pets int he past that need to be consistenly restrained when outside and do not want to do that again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a set up similar to yours but fenced and I still rarely allow my cairn access to all the acreage as I do my other dogs (cattle dogs). He's much too independent and too much of a troublemaker. His recall is actually pretty good, for a cairn, but if he catches sight of a field rat or rabbit - forget it! You'd be suprised how far and fast those little legs can carry them. He also doesn't have that inherent cautiousness around livestock that my other dogs have so that's another concern.

With all that said, they are wonderful, fun little dogs and, although a little more work, they are well worth it.

Guest Tori's Mom

Hi !

We live on a 72 acre horse farm and our Tori is now one year old as of Christmas Day ! Her recall is excellent and I have a lead that will extend twenty feet, but I will not let her off - if she sites a cat - blue heron - etc. she is off, no matter how many cookies I promise. So , better to be safe then sorry, :( . She is as good as gold in our house (or should I say her house) - and excellent in our barn. Wouldn't trade her for a million dollars ! Better safe then sorry is my motto :wub:

Guest webstar

I was under the impression you should not leave a cairn outside unsupervised, because of hawks. We had Molly out for a walk in the woods at our farm when we came across a a huge owl watching her. I don't know what would have happened if she was alone. Molly's Gram

Racoons, coyotes, cars, prey drive ... there's no shortage of reasons I would not leave a cairn outside unsupervised. Although I guess the question is more unrestrained than unsupervised. My concern is that unrestrained can so easily lead to unsupervised, i.e., gone!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for the valuable responses. Sounds as if this may may not be the best fit for our family. Difficult to admit as they sound like such a wonderful breed and I was looking forward to finding our new addition.

Again, thanks, and if any have recommendations of smaller breed dog, that would be safe in a unrestricted area, please send them my way!

Guest zips Mom

Hi: First Cairns should never be trusted off leash. They are too independent and also prey driven to be trusted when called. My opinion is they should always be on a leash. Also you mention cats, lizards & ferrets - they are not something I would trust a Cairn around. Just maybe, work it out with the cats, but the lizards and ferrets - forget it. Of course, there are probably those special Cairns that would prove me wrong, but I think they are few and far between. As to whether they are a good pet - you couldn't find better. They are smart, loving, loyal little dogs, wouldn't want to live without one...or two.... or Oh well, they grow on you. Pat Zips Mom ...and Joey too

Archived