CairnTalk

Successful bike ride with Sassy

remltr

I have been retired since the end of February. I bought myself a retirement present back in March. A recumbent three wheel bicycle. And I also bought a bike trailer for Sassy which she absolutely hated. So after taking a 10K mile road trip in May and trying to come up with something that she would be OK with I think I found the answer. The bottom half of a plastic tool box that is mounted to the bike rail.

She only whines when we stop now. But there are massive amounts of Charlie Bear treats involved.

FYI: The hard breathing is because of the massive "little hill" we were climbing. Really!!

Edited by remltr
  • Like 5

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I love this.

Sassy looks serene … she has a queenly bearing, as well she should, riding in her stately carriage. She is as beautiful as I remembered.

That she prefers a toolbox cracks me up. I recently got a cargo bike (mid-tail, not a box-bike) and have wondered if or how Stella might go for a ride. I was thinking a porteur rack in front with a crate so I can keep an eye on her :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Lucky man... I envy you!

P.S. I've seen bicyclists in the city with a small hook-on, extendable rear view mirror attached to their glasses, (or the brims of their caps)? Very practical in NYC traffic, but you can use one to keep an eye on Sassy. Perhaps they can be found for sale online or in a bicycle shop.

I bet you get some smiles and happy, amused comments. Do you?

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Oh I love this! She looks so calm and interested in her surroundings. I would have to duck tape Sam to the box as he would attempt to chase anything in his vision but our Scottie, Rosie would love this. Her attitude is why walk when someone can carry you. 

My DH who belongs to a motorcycle club has a few members of the club who take their small dogs for rides complete with goggles and leather helmets.

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Impressed! When I got my latest bike (an "old folks" bike - a biria walk-thru), I got a dog carrier wire basket for the rear of the bike.  Oban told me loudly he did not like riding back there.  I found a way to adjust it to sit in front of the handlebars.  I think he just likes to tell me where we should be going.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

that looks like terrific fun for her --probably an extra, what, 15 lbs for you to haul? if she sits still in that, she is a real pro. have fun!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, Kathryn said:

I got a dog carrier wire basket for the rear of the bike.  Oban told me loudly he did not like riding back there.  I found a way to adjust it to sit in front of the handlebars.  I think he just likes to tell me where we should be going.  

The height of Sassy's ride enables her to see well and also to give directions if needed. However a basket or seat on the front like Oban has is even better. Surely we know by now that cairns prefer to be in charge of everything - including how to get from here to there😊

• Like 2

came back just to watch the video. i don't know, HC, Sassy seem convinced that the back seat is the seat of honor. those are chauffeurs who ride in the front. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sassy is the Queen of the trail. Her Highness sits up high because, well she is her Highness. And, unfortunately for her there is no structure up front for a carrier. Just two wheels and two pedals.

She does get some smiles mostly from the young kids that see us passing by. But she ignores the peasants who seek her approval, because, well she is her Highness.

• Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

On 9/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, hheldorfer said:

Very nice!  Perhaps you could also construct a red velvet tasseled "roof" for the carrier so Her Royal Highness doesn't get too warm.  

Or too wet.