CairnTalk

Do your Cairns swim?

Ripper70

Hello All,

Well, tomorrow will be three weeks since we rescued Max and Chloe and we're all getting along swimmingly. Speaking of swimming, we have an in-ground pool in our yard and, after seeing YouTube vids of Cairns doggie paddling their way around beaches and pools, we were really looking forward to having our little champs get some exercise while cooling off in our own little oasis. In fact, even the rescue shelter had a kiddie pool on site, and both Max and Chloe loved to splash around in it while we were there doing our initial meet-and-greets.

Alas, they seem to want nothing to do with the big dog pool in our yard. I've tried to gently take them in, showing them the steps that lead to the shallow end and holding them under their bellies so they feel safe. But they just can't get onto dry land quickly enough. Terra firma is their preference.

Do you think they can learn to enjoy it? Perhaps doggie swim vests? I'd love to hear what others have to contribute.

Thanks in advance.

The three Cairns we have owned in the  past and presently Sam didn’t want to go into the kiddie wading pool let alone a lake. But many Cairns on this site love water...Packie who has gone over to the Rainbow bridge was a fisherman and also loved saving his “drowning”owner .😋 our other dog Rosie who is a Scottie always wears a life jacket when put in the water due to the fact that many Scottie’s cannot swim due to their heavy bodies, head and short legs.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I hope you find a way to entice Max and Chloe into the pool. Like people, some pooches love the water and some loathe it. For the dogs who like to swim, its delightful for them and for us to watch them enjoy themselves!

P.S. I noticed that you live on Long Island. In the town of Centrreach is a cairn breeder and groomer with an excellent track record grooming/stripping. Let me know if you need her contact info.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Gus (11) has never been in a swimming pool, but will gladly follow sticks or swimming people into lakes, rivers and ocean. He doesn’t seem to want to swim just for the sake of swimming though. Maybe enticing Max and Chloe with a fetch game will work!

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try the life jacket/doggie swim vest. They seem well designed and most have floatation pads under the chin to keep their heads out of the water and handles along the spine so one can easily retrieve the pup in the event of an emergency.

Just snapped a few pics last night of my contented Cairns waiting for their next adventure.

IMG_6886.JPG

• Like 5