CairnTalk

Training a Puppy

Chameleon

So, we've figured out we're going to get a puppy soon—11 12 weeks old. Anybody got any suggestions for training him? Housebreaking and basic commands such as come, sit, stay, and down. How do I get him to do what I want without being harsh but also establish myself as a leader? There is a lot of content on the internet but I wanted to get advice from people with experience with  the breed. I also don't want to have to rely on a hired trainer even if it is still me working with the dog. Thank you all!

An oldie but a goodie.

The main thing with puppies (and dogs in general) is to be clear, timely, *consistent*, patient, and persistent. Of all of them, consistency is probably the most important.

I am also a huge fan of formal obedience training (competition style, even if you don't care to compete) once the puppy is older.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Practice, practice, practice.  And once you have established a training routine, stick with it.  Cairns are devious creatures and would much rather be in charge of the world than obey the commands of an inferior 2-legged creature.  :)  

• Haha 1

And although they seem at times extremely naughty, I encourage patience..patience. They are very sensitive actually and harsh punishment does not work and may actually ramp up their self preservation, resulting in aggression. Reward based and positive training works the best. 

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Agree with above.  Cairns like to know what's in it for them if you ask them to do something. e.g. I taught Angus to sit from day one by asking him to sit before eating. In no time at all he would go to his place and sit waiting for me to put his food down, "Good boy Angus" I'd say "Enjoy"

Agree that cairns are very sensitive. If you get mad at them they will get mad right back. Often it is best to say nothing and start over, then praise and treat at even the smallest attempt to do what you ask. And as hheldorfer says once you get a routine going stick with it.

You can't really boss a cairn but you can make deals and become partners. Then you do have the 'best little pal in the world'!

• Like 2

I can’t agree or encourage more about the necessity for early training and obedience classes. Besides puppy classes are the funnest!!!

Having worked with a succession of terriers, I always started them off with class. I encouraged those adopting our club’s rescues to sign up for an obedience classes. The dog and the owner learn at the same time.

This is the opportunity not to be missed - to set the ground work for the best  companion dog. In attending classes, usually about 6 weeks, starts the pattern of consistency. From the instructor and other students you learn all kinds of helpful hints as well as ideas about what not to do!  

In our area we have great gentle training available from our local AKC club and SPCA.

If you are obtaining your pup from a reputable breeder, they might have suggestions for trainers as well as info on AKC clubs.

We had 2yr old Katie in classes for almost a year. From puppy classes thru obedience classes. Cairns can be very independent minded  and you have to figure out how to make it their idea to do what you want. Its fun and its work, with lots of laughs.

A book to read now? Born to Bark: My adventures with an irrepressible and unforgettable (Cairn) Dog.  By Stanley Coren.

Lots of laughs and insights into the mind and behavior of his Cairn Terrier, Flint.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dianne said:

A book to read now? Born to Bark: My adventures with an irrepressible and unforgettable (Cairn) Dog.  By Stanley Coren.

I think I might cobble together a framework for a  "book list" database to add to our resources. I work weekends but look for a prototype next week sometime. It will be member-driven; unless you object I may seed it with your recommendation :book: 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Funny, I just picked up Born to Bark from our local library a little over a day ago! Thanks for all the advice!

Read this book and laughed, cried and hugged my Cairn...we are so lucky to own these amazing little scruffy dogs. 💕Great idea Brad! 

Edited by Sam I Am

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

2 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Funny, I just picked up Born to Bark from our local library a little over a day ago! Thanks for all the advice!

As new Cairn owner, I found the book hilarious and informative. Have read through it several times.

Had similar experiences like Flint with Katie in obedience class.

Book helped me to shrug off others critique of her independent "I'm doing it my way" behavior.

We did provide our fellow class members with moments of humor! My response " it's a Cairn thing."

Cheers!

training poster.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2