CairnTalk

Design Fail

sanford

Encountered during our walk today...Ruffy and I both shared a low opinion of this lack of planning ahead. Who goofed? The installer of the railing, or the installer of the hydrant? At any rate we thought it was silly enough to share with you!😜

IMG_1806.jpg

• Haha 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

sometimes i have those problems with my project. an elegant solution, really. i'm sure the neighborhood boy dogs all appreciate it. 

• Haha 2

Hmm.  I say it was the railing person because the fire hydrant (or at least the hydrant connection to the water supply) was probably there first.

I have a similar situation involving a dishwasher and a cabinet.

• Haha 1

i do notice that if the hydrant were turned about 45 degrees so that it was in line with both the railing and the building, it would fit. but then nobody would be able to open the hydrant from the spigot that would be against the building.

i'm seeing the hydrant as the intruder here. the steps look older, though they might not always have had railings. the drain behind the hydrant looks new and might be the same vintage as the hydrant. my guess: inspector number one justified putting the hydrant in that awkward position because if it stood about 45 degrees different from now, the spigots would have been in nice alignment with both the steps and the building. then inspector number two pointed out that the spigot running parallel to and against the wall could not be opened, and that the spigots must each be at a 45 degree angle to the building. then inspector number 3 pointed out that the railings must be customized to accommodate the new angle. then ruffy, inspector number 4, pointed out that the hydrant is too close to both the building and the steps to fulfill its customary use. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Haha 4

Brilliant deduction Professor Crossley!💡 I think Chief Inspector Ruffy would agree with you... After all, he has had a lifetime of experience inspecting hydrants... Much more than any of us mere uprights could ever hope to equal! 

• Haha 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!