CairnTalk

Oops I Did It Again ...

Dempsy's Mom

Dempsy's mom here.  I just thought I would check in with you all.  We have alot of snow and it will be a late planting season.  Last time I visited with you all I was thinking of rescuing two little Yorkies.  Well .... I did.  Elsie isn't to thrilled with these two little boys, but they are so sweet.  Max is 11 years old with no teeth and a collapsing esophagus love him.  Meeko is 10 and has a humped back.  They were used in breeding.  I am always nervous before I commit, but it always seems to work out.  They remind me so much of Demps.  Alot of their characteristics are alike.  Hang on we are almost out of  winter!

IMG_3898.thumb.JPG.e35e92c327c7096935df56df16fb2bff.JPGIMG_3900.thumb.JPG.0ae0a011d82021d2c70725fd654b88ea.JPG 

• Like 7

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lori what a good person you are! They look like miniature Cairns.....especially in your first photo.💕💕

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Wow - you have the softest heart I know.

Glad these two came your way - they will live the life of royalty. And they are adorable!

Elsie will still get alone time with you on the tractor, right? And I would bet she is still Jim's favorite. I am sure she will adjust  - she's got that farm spirit. As I am sure she will continue to rule the "roost," so to speak.

Looking forward to the next round of videos...

Yes - Elsie is so looking forward to planting.  These two won't be tractor partners.  Elsie tries to play with them, like she did Demps but they don't play like Demps.  Bummer.  Elsie would love a good zoomie.  It's been a crazy year so far.  One of Jim's brothers was in the hospital for 2 months - while we were nurturing him - two of Jim's other brothers die within a week  from each other - heartattacks.  Then here I am with two little knot heads in the middle of it all.  We made adjustments and I feel like we are regaining our footing.  Move snow, planning funerals, taking care of pouches, haul a load of corn, shovel, haul a load of corn, shovel, repeat.  Life isn't easy for humans or beast.  Meeko and Max's life may be winding down but they are little gems and it's an honor to give them a happy home.  Hang in there everybody!

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lori, you're a saint for adopting these two adorable fluffballs!  We know they'll have a very happy life with you.

So sorry to hear of all your troubles this year, though.  Hugs to you and yours, friend.

• Like 2

Lori those two have come to the right place! They look so sweet. Am glad you took them both - very kind of you.

Life just piles up so hard sometimes. May these two snuggle into your heart and help the best they can.

Thankful Elsie still out there to help with farm work!

• Like 3

Terriers! Hooray! I can't wait to find out what they think of the farm. They know they are already in paradise.

How does Elsie like them?

This is my ambition, to have everything it takes to adopt a senior terrier or two. Dogs are so deserving of a nice life, at any age.

• Like 4

What a wonderful picture of these two little Yorkies that definitely found a perfect home.  So glad you were there for them!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

"Meeko and Max's life may be winding down but they are little gems and it's an honor to give them a happy home." hm, that could be true of any of us at any time. i think that as a general thing yorkies, poms and chihuahuas live a bit longer than bigger dogs (like standard cairns). i know that to them it will be a whole lifetime, either way. they truly very adorable. 

• Like 2

You have had a hard  time of it and poor Jim. Losing one brother is hard enough losing two is a heartache.

Do you know your sweet pups history?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Well.  About every two weeks I get on a on hot pursuit and scan rescues in the area for a new family member and one January day I, for some reason, went to a Dachshund Rescue in Sioux Falls, SD where Jim's brother was in the hospital.  After viewing adoptions I was just about to exit the site when I poked on "new arrivals".  There were three little Yorkies.  One female (9) and two boys (10 & 11).  I didn't jump - but I found myself going back to see if they were adopted yet.  Then I applied for the little girl.  She didn't have any health issues.   The gal texted me and asked me if I was interested in the boys because she had several applications for the little girl.  I told her that I didn't think the boys should be split up if they're bonded and I didn't think I wanted two dogs.  A couple more days passed and Meeko and Max were still there.  I emailed her again and asked if she had someone that would take both.  She said "no" and I said ok "I will take them."  So while visiting Jim's brother in the hospital I stopped by and picked them up.  They were used for breeding and came from the Mitchell area, which was about 100 miles west.  She said it was an older couple that had them and they were getting a divorce.  They were reported to the rescue during one of our really cold snaps and the dogs were out in their back yard.  The neighbor, who was a friend of the Dachshund Rescue gal, kept calling her and informing her that these dogs need to be rescued.  They were freezing to death.  When contacting the owner, the owner would not give them up ..... then one cold day the owner called and told the gal "If you are here by 1:00 you can take them but if your not here by 1 you can forget it."  So the rescue gal made a mad dash to Mitchell and brought the three to her rescue.  That's all I know.  Max isn't real crazy about me.  Once in a while he will bite me (but he has no teeth 😶) and he adores Jim.  So I wonder if he disliked the lady that owned him.  Max is fragile and sweet.  Meeko is sturdy and full of energy. Love them both but they are alot of work. 

Thank you all for your well wishes. 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wow, rescue girl did a great job and poor Meeko and Max spending maybe all their lives with somebody who would leave them out in the cold. It is probably a good guess that Max disliked the lady. He will soon get convinced that you are not her. You wanted one dog, of course --but the two of them together about equal one dog. 

After what they have been through, what a joy to see them all snug and warm. They seem to be smiling. We lucked out!

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 1

Idaho Cairns

As you know Lori--time has a way of changing behaviors in dogs when they change environments.  I suspect both of these little seniors will be happy campers once they rock in to your home.l

• Like 1

They're happy alright.  No intimidation at all - typical terrier - trot around like the own the place and pissing Elsie off. ☺️ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

You go boys!

They are stars! 

Poor Elsie. Big sister to two mean old men. But they are all terriers, so I think she will see through them pretty easily. 

• Like 2

Dogs are the best medicine for heart and head. My DH and I have contracted some aweful virus and there is nothing more comforting than having these hairy friends somehow lighten our day while we lie in bed coughing up a lung. I am sure Lori that given your endless love for all creatures great and small, Max and Meeko will repay you and Jim in so many ways. I don’t know if I would have the courage to take on two older pups, but you have certainly shown a lot of us that it’s ok. 

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 2

If you hadn't said Yorkie I would have believed that they are Cairns. Lori your heart knows no bounds. A big hug to you for taking these characters on. You will be rewarded beyond your belief. Eventually Elsie and Max and Meeko will warm to each other. And I am sure Dempsy is looking down and laughing. "Mom it is going to take more than two of those to replace me, nice try though."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

• 2 weeks later...

i recently saw yorkies on a list of the smartest dogs (also included schnauzers, but no other terriers :nono:). are they smart?

Idaho Cairns

If snauzers and yorkies are "smart" it would be some ironic interpretation of the word "smart" which is also used to describe something as "smarting" as in "Your little dog is smarting my ears with its infernal yapping!"  Otherwise, in my opinion, either of those breeds are little, busy, noisy, irritating canines!

• Like 1

Hm, I see what you mean. But I always feel that terriers get the brush-off in these so-called "intelligence" ratings, since what they really rate is the ability and willingness of dogs to obey human commands. Dogs who problem-solve on their own but, perhaps, ignore humans rate very low. I expect yorkies are smart in that terrier sense --observant, scheming, intuitive with humans (in an annoying way), able to detect prey that are hidden in the walls or the ground. Oddly, I read that terriers were supposedly bred to roust the prey so that humans could shoot them. If so, that must have been the terriers' side gig. They surely did most of the patrolling and killing on their own. Otherwise they wouldn't be much use to a busy farmer.