CairnTalk

KIdney Failure

anniegirl

Feeling a bit more optimistic today as my regular vet is back from vacation tomorrow and I understand she has been reading all of my notes and the updates and bloodwork results from his workup in Corvallis so likely will talk with her tomorrow and we can make a plan. I just need the council of an "expert" who I have a good relationship with who has loads of experience and insight in order to guide my decision making process and I'm happy that I have that in her. Just a disconnect as she has been on vacation as this is all unfolding. 

I bet any and all of you who has had to manage sick dog knows the dreaded feeling that the weekend is coming up and you don't want to be in an unmanageable situation with your beloved dog and not have the help and resources that you need. 

With that said, we are lucky here in Eugene/ Springfield Oregon as there is a 24/7 emergency facility here to use as needed. Not every place has one of those. I just prefer to stay out of that as much as possible and with former dogs and guinea pigs have spent way too much time there, in the middle of the night, patiently waiting my turn:).

thanks for being there and for excellent sharing and suggestions, 

very appreciated,

Glad to help!

Odd that your vet objects to medical marijuana for dogs.  Our vet suggested it for Ziggy.  Either way, my mantra is "anything that helps" when it comes to end-of-life scenarios.  The goal is to keep the dog as comfortable and happy as possible and to pass peacefully when the time comes.

You're doing a great job for your boy. Hugs to you. 

• Like 1

i don't know anything about a feeding tube. i do know from human and dog experience that while there is no wonderful way to go, kidney disease is relatively painless and, as an added comfort, it does respond somewhat to management even in late stages. when there is a slow decline in heart or kidney function the body can find ways to compensate and can deal with very low degrees of function, with proper support. in humans pyrodex supplements are helpful, though I don't know if they are given to dogs (don't see why not, just a matter of dosage).

no appetite is very tricky. it is very important that kidney patients be on a low-protein diet. i was a bit worried about what you said about turkey, which is quite high in protein and often implicated in pancreatitis. beef, pork and lamb are much preferable to white meat, and fish should be excluded. but of course that sort of diet doesn't interest the normal dog. if he hasn't had much lamb and you don't know how he would react to it, maybe give it a try. peanut butter has some protein but not enough to do harm --most dog's like peanut butter. same with cheese. 

you've made some great discoveries and you will probably make some more. also things that jack has tired of you might be able to cycle back to later. you're doing a great job, and i'm sure jack will work with you on this, as long as he can. 

Thanks for the insights and suggestions, PK and also H Heldofer. As you all probably know, a lot of this is the feeling of not being able to provide for a loved one, especially when I can't get him to eat. Though today, he did go for the egg and later in the day, after throwing up, a good deal of his raw food:). Yes, I would prefer to keep him kidney diet compliant but when he wouldn't eat that at all or anything at all, I feel moved to do whatever it takes to keep him eating for now. 

I was relieved to hear that my veterinarian is going to be back tomorrow and has been reading all of my notes and all of the notes from the hospital and the bloodwork, etc while she was gone. So, I expect to finally have a chance to talk to her, hopefully, tomorrow so we can make a plan and I can feel more at ease with where this is going. 

thanks again, here's hoping this discussion will also benefit others in the future as they try to navigate managing kidney disease, among other things. 

We had a cat with kidney failure - gave up on all the kidney disease food - she wouldn't touch it.  Give your puppy anything that he will eat at this point - let him enjoy what time he as left, he will thank you for it.

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom