CairnTalk

Tracking device

Sam I Am

Has anyone invested in a tracking device that you clip on the dogs collar ? In the event that our dogs are MIA, his/her location is tracked on your smart phone. Seems like a brilliant thing to have given how well so many of our Cairns have recall 😳😈🐰🐭

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person

I suppose it's a good idea if you can afford it and that it's activated in the early stages of the dog being MIA.   I think there may be monthly charges also.    And, if the collar is removed (either deliberately or by accident) then it won't be of much help.

I gather there is a small monthly charge pretty much like any other smart phone application but to me it seems perfect especially when on holidays. So often you hear of dogs losing their owners when on holidays. Nothing is perfect for sure but it might just be the next best thing. Much like the app you have on your own phone which notifies you of its location.  

Would be really interested to hear from anyone that has used a tracking device and what their experience with it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Some hunters put devices on dogs' collars in this area especially on pointers and setters so they know where they are in rough cover. They also use bells on collars.

There's one device that has a handheld device as well as a collar one  - so if no collar you can still know where the dog is but I think it is about $600.00 plus.It will work where no cell signal. Out in the wilderness round here there's often places with no reception.

Of course you have to have a smart phone to use these devices 🙂

One can buy less expensive devices but most require a monthly fee and work to track a dog when it leaves a designated area - a sort of GPS fence.

Think concerns with these are expense -  they often require a monthly fee,  dependency on batteries most with a fairly short life so frequent charging might be necessary, and size -  most seem better for larger dogs.

Regret I have no personal experience of a tracking device. I just keep dog on leash/long line when in strange places. Perhaps they might be more useful in a less remote area.

T

• Thanks 2

Guest dog person

I know of someone who had a family member wear a GPS tracking device (he was childlike with a tendency to wander)    They found it to be helpful and they were able to learn the general location of where he was, but he kept moving!     

In the end they discontinued it after about one year due to the cost.    This was 10-15 years ago, so maybe the technology has improved.

I use a Tile on Sassy's collar. It is crowd based meaning people with the tile app on their phone passing near the tile will report location. It is not an immediate tracking device. I have never had to access it for finding Sassy.

Out in the wilderness it won't do you any good.

One time fee, no monthly charge.

You get what you pay for.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/products/sport

Edited by remltr
  • Thanks 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

That Tile looks potentially pretty useful. :thumbsup: 

Even the direct bluetooth range for the Sport version could be useful for quite a number of situations that we've experienced where a dog's location is unknown, but still nearby. Example, stuck under a porch; locked onto a rat under a neighbor's shrubbery; hanging out charming dried fruit off an elderly neighbor, etc. 

• Haha 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Goodness Brad - never thought of situations like that!!

So many aids depend on where you and your cairn live. I was more thinking of finding a cairn harassing a porcupine or behind a tree refusing to stop digging up a vole!

One of the great things about this forum is the very different locations our cairns live in and the modifications we make accordingly.