CairnTalk

Sticky weed seeds

Kathryn

We had visitors for dinner last night, including one couple who  brought their dog, Sadie.  Sadie, although a good sized part-chow, is one of Oban's favorite playmates, and they were charging around the house creating havoc.  Since it was the end of the gardening season anyway, I let them out to wander in the back garden, where things grow a little more wild.

Long story short -- they got into some kind of weed which clings to their fur, and which also left little sticky seeds embedded into their coats.  Sadie had most of these on the back of her neck, but Oban apparently stuck his muzzle into them.  He has all sorts of little seeds on the top and bottom of his muzzle, on his chin, and also along his chest.

He does not like people touching his face, and I am having a dickens of a time getting the seeds out.  He is clearly bothered by them, and rubbing his face on the carpet periodically and chewing if he can reach them.

What do you all do to get these kinds of things out of your cairns' coats?  They must not have had these weeds in Scotland...

Edited by Kathryn

Oof. We have these little sticky burr balls that get deep into their coats. They don't comb out (it would take the hair right with it). The only way I've found to get them out is locate the bump of one with my fingers and s-l-o-w-l-y pull it out of the coat. It takes forever and they collect them by the dozens (if you're lucky) or hundreds (if you're not) if they get into whatever grassy nightmare generates those balls.

If they are not velcroed in like our burrs maybe a flea comb would help you tease them out?  

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest dog person

I would take him to the vet and have the problem areas shaved off,  maybe a crew cut all over, then a medicated shamoo.    The other option would be to take him to a groomer, asap.       I think the the vet would be cheaper.

Check for ticks!  

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

You want to get rid of them quickly because the skin irritation could lead to infection and the need for antibiotics

Call your vet and see what he advises.

Edited by dog person

This happened to Ruffy some years ago. We were in CT for the weekend and as we were about to catch the train for our return trip to the city we discovered that he was covered with small dark seeds and we couldn’t brush or comb them out. We got onto the train and I spent the entire 2-hour trip home tediously pulling out each seed one by one. Every single seed held tight to his hair and and could only be extracted by s-l-o-w-l-y easing it off the entire length of each individual hair shaft! Ruffy was very patient with me - probably enjoyed the attention - but I thought I would lose my mind!😜 I wish I had a camera to document the huge pile of seeds on the floor next to our seat when we finally pulled into our station.😱 (I scooped them up and deposited them in the trash bin in the train car).

Edited by sanford
  • Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Update: We certainly are not going to have him shaved -- the Minnesota winter is just around the corner.  And the seeds are not the burdock or other seeds in the article -- something smaller, but still sticky.

But the good news - talked to a neighbor in passing about this, and she has a young daughter with very wiry, curly hair.  She said that whatever is in the hair - foreign objects, or just snarls -- always seem to come out better when the hair is wet. Apparently five-year-olds with snarls can be as "snarly" as Oban is about hair tugging.  So I got a washrag and washed his face down really well.  I sat him in my lap, and started to very slowly, very carefully (just like Brad!) pull out these little seeds. Oban tried to snap a few times, so I got out some training treats, put them on the counter, and gave him one when he was patient for a time. He would sometimes start to snap - I was tugging on his chin hair, after all. But I got everything off his legs, and almost everything from his neck and chin.  We quit at that point -- I think we both had enough.  

Tomorrow I will try to tackle his muzzle and nose -- there are only a few seeds there.  But my neighbor had one other tip -- if the water doesn't work, move to an oil.  She uses a cosmetic oil, obviously, but I think I could try a safflower oil instead.

Sometimes moms seem to have the best advice! I was glad I ran into her on my dog walk tonight -- it saved me a lot of worry.  And am passing this on because it seems to be working -- and I am positive Oban is not the only dog that has had a fun run through the weeds...

• Like 4

I've had fairly good luck combing them out, but it certainly takes patience.  Nattie has been getting into that stuff at the dog park lately so I'm getting lots of practice.

Angus had the sticky weeds like Oban had and the burrs (of all kinds big and small). I mainly used fingers. Combed afterwards sometimes. At first he was very resistant and wanted to pull them out himself sliding his teeth along them, and tugging his hair. However since every year these same seeds flourish in the fields where he runs he learned that I could help him and we gradually got them out together. Did not wet or use oil. Did not consider shaving as he needed his thick coat for protection from hot and cold weather - and actually from the weeds themselves especially the burrs, which could irritate his skin. I used fingers, he used teeth. It took time but we managed. It became a Fall ritual. I tried going on different walks but here in the country it's pretty hard to avoid them.

Patience and good luck!

Definitely

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1