CairnTalk

bradl

For me, I just can’t imagine clothes on a cairn- OK maybe a coat in the winter. But, I have to say  this is super cute, and seems to suit her.

• Like 1

Guest dog person

Is it cold in Scotland?   Because my cairn pants if the temp is above 64 degrees.    He won't even tolerate a light raincoat.   He does like to burrow and sleep under the comforter at night, especially in the winter.

Maybe I am missing the point, it's just for decoration?    I would be worried that the dog might be  hot/uncomfortable in that outfit.   I guess I don't understand the show dog biz.

Edited by dog person

🙄 

It's a Scottish dog in highland garb. At a Highland Games, celebrating the highlands and its history and culture.

No, crofters didn't keep their dogs in kilts. It's a tribute and a bit of fun.

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

17 hours ago, Min D said:

For me, I just can’t imagine clothes on a cairn- OK maybe a coat in the winter. But, I have to say  this is super cute, and seems to suit her.

Ditto, Min D...But I just have to laugh every time I look at that pic. It's the "come hither" pose that gets me every time! Its so adorably goofy - I think it's hilarious‼️🙃😜

P.S. Now I know what a cairn wears under its kilt - - Nuttin!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 5

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Climate in Western Scotland and the Highlands is cool and wet. Just around the freezing mark or above in winter and not usually much higher than 60 something in the summer and very WET. Here's what they say.

Weather Poetry – (with a smile)

It rained and rained and rained,
The average was well maintained;
And when our fields were simply bogs,
It started raining cats and dogs.
After a drought of half an hour,
There came a most refreshing shower;
And then the queerest thing of all,
A gentle rain began to fall.

Next day ’twas pretty fairly dry,
Save for a deluge from the sky.
This wetted people to the skin,
But after that the rain set in.
We wondered what’s the next we’d get,
As sure as fate we got more wet.
But soon we’ll have a change again,
And we shall have….. A drop of rain.

No wonder cairns get hot easily and it's clear why they have the coats they have. A soft thick undercoat to keep warm. A rough longer harsh out coat to keep them. dry. Sure worked for Angus. My friend's dogs hesitate to go out when it is raining. Angus - he goes to door and says "Open up. I have work to do".

No need for an additional coat in that climate. In winter it rarely goes much below freezing and in summer rarely much above mid sixtiesF.  It is so far north that it hardly gets dark in summer and it hardly gets light in winter.

That said dressing up for fun is what some humans like to do. Just take it off quickly most cairns might say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest dog person

Thanks.

That explains a lot.   My cairn does not tolerate heat or humidity well.   No problem with cold weather or the snow, though.   I don't have to turn the heat up for him  :-)

I think she looks adorably silly -- especially in the frog leg position. And how appropriate for the Highland Games -- so often our local one slants to the westies...

I have a tartan scarf for Oban, but that is a far as it goes here.  I once looked at the price of kilts in Scotland.  No way my dog is ever getting one...neither is Steve.

• Like 1

On July 29, 2018 at 10:30 PM, Min D said:

For me, I just can’t imagine clothes on a cairn...

Any cairn named Devine Davina should be allowed to wear whatever she wants‼️😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I totally agree,  my Little Nancy is one scruffy-looking dog, and she believes she is as groomed as a Maltese. Cairns are one confident breed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1