CairnTalk

Safe dog repellent

sanford

Ruffy has been snacking on the dirt in the flower pots on the terrace, knocking over and damaging some plants in the process, but my main concern is for his health, so I looked online to see if there was a repellent to try.

I found a short list of natural home remedies: Apple cider vinegar or citronella sprays, coffee grounds, chili peppers, orange/citrus peels, etc. And of course there are over-the -counter products, too.

The terrace is very sunny, so it's possible that sprays might dry up/ evaporate too quickly.... and citrus peels would probably attract flies.

i assume some remedies are more effective than others and would appreciate hearing from anyone who's had success dealing with this.

Thanks!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest dog person

Well, if it was my decision, I would simply remove all plants except for hanging ones.

I always go out with my dogs or watch closely from the window, even in a fenced-in yard.   No telling what they will nibble on or get into.

PS: Think I used Bitter Apple on furniture years ago, it didn't work.

As pouring vinegar directly on a plant will kill it you might try soaking cotton balls with it and placing it in the pot.Never tried this but how about two sided tape...Ruffy might not appreciate getting it stuck on his paws....I have heard it works with cats jumping up on counters. Of course with both suggestions I would be close at hand to monitor the situation. If Ruffy  is anything like Sam , who happens to like vinegar, swallowing cotton balls would not be a good idea.😱And of course there is always the spray bottle or hose with water. It has always worked for me, as neither dog steps a foot into the flower or veggie garden after a few repeated well aimed squirts [away from their eyes]

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We used a barrier approach.

As you might imagine, puppies get into everything and a potted plant is an irresistible playground. We used to use a piece of green vinyl coated wire placed over the top of the container (with a hole for the plant to pass through, obvs) as a barrier. Easy to water through and seemed to keep the pups out and the older dogs from digging. 

This is the sort of wire I'm talking about, here being used to barricade a lone trillium from being decapitated accidentally by inattentive lawn mowers :whistle: 

IMG_1059.jpg

Picture a bit of that, flattened into a "hat" for the plant pot. Rolls of the stuff available at home centers. An alternative in smaller quantities are things like push-in wire garden edging of small gauge wire that can be repurposed similarly.

• Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

That plant is looking mighty lonely Brad.🤭

Sanford are you By chance putting fertilizer, like bone meal, blood meal, fish meal in the pot? That makes for mighty tasty dirt. 

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

10 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

That plant is looking mighty lonely Brad.

It's done for the year. It will come back next year as long as no one tramples it. It used to have a pal :cry: 

It is illegal to take or move trilliums here (Trillium is the flower no one should pick). They were here when we bought the house 25 years ago and we were surprised when they presented themselves. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

23 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

That plant is looking mighty lonely Brad...

If you were in prison, you'd be looking mighty lonely too!😜

P.S. Thanks for the practical suggestions... I used vinegar spray around the pots and terrace floor surrounding the plants and will also try some garden edging, which might slightly deter Ruffy - maybe for 5 minutes? I think I have some bitter apple spray somewhere. It proved to be useless when Ruffy was a pup, so who knows?

Dog Person: Good suggestion, but l can conceal myself and watch Ruffy for 2 hours and he won't do a thing until  I answer the phone or turn my back for a split second!☹️

Edited by sanford
  • Haha 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Sanford I think you are just going to have to accept that Ruffy is a naughty Cairn.🤗

• Haha 1

Poor little trillium.  I hope it comes back next year!

I think the only semi-reliable method of keeping dogs out of flower pots is the barrier method Brad described.  Depends on the type of plant, though; if it's a plant that trails out over the edge of the pot, it may not be practical.

When I once had a cat, she would sometimes dig in house plants. I covered all the soil in the pots with river rocks, between 1 and 3 inches each, and a lot of them (couple inches depth). You might  want to try that and see if it keeps Ruffy out...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

Sanford I think you are just going to have to accept that Ruffy is a naughty Cairn.🤗

You got that right! (But that's one of the things I love about him).

I will let you all know how long the new fencing lasts before Ruffy breaches or destroys it. Ditto for the river rocks that he will probably dig up. (I'll try to remember to send photos of them - as well as his dirty face).

Plan B, as per Dog Person: Remove all plants except for hanging ones!😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!