CairnTalk

Eating grass (and dirt)

sanford

From time to time Ruffy eats grass. This is usually in open, untended areas in the park where pesticides are not used. (Warning signs are posted in cultivated areas that are treated). He's never exhibited ill effects, but will vomit on occasion, but mostly not. I have to admit, I've never considered this to be a problem - never reported it to vet because his lab work has always been OK with no deficiencies or problems showing up in blood work.

Info inline seems inconclusive with some reports saying its harmless and natural for some dogs, while others say it could be a sign of stomach or other distress. He also likes to eat the dirt from one of the planters on the terrace, which I've now covered and moved to prevent. (Strange - it's only this one pot - never the others, and never eats dirt outside or anywhere else).

Any thoughts on this?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Both Stella and Dundee occasionally go through brief phases of nibbling grass or snorting around in (and possibly eating) dirt. Other than the occasional vomit of a grass-ball we haven't discerned anything especially worrying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest dog person

It is called "pica".  

Multitude of reasons for it, from benign to quite serious.    I would definitely mention it the next time you see your vet.   

In my experience, eating grass usually means the dog is experiencing nausea. 

I would intervene and not allow the dog to do this.    They can get worms (dirt),  also, any grass that does not have weeds is most likely chemically treated.    Not everyone bothers with the little yellow flags.

Edited by dog person

1 hour ago, bradl said:

Both Stella and Dundee occasionally go through brief phases of nibbling grass or snorting around in (and possibly eating) dirt. Other than the occasional vomit of a grass-ball we haven't discerned anything especially worrying. 

Same with us. Dogs are scavengers and a nibble of grass here, a chunk of dirt there has never caused them an issue. Unless the vomiting starts to be a regular occurrence I would not worry about it.😜

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ziggy eats grass at every opportunity; absolutely loves the stuff.  We often catch him grazing in the backyard (no pesticides or weed killers are used in our yard).  He has rarely vomited from it and is otherwise fine.  Oddly (and fortunately) he will not eat grass from areas treated with chemicals (such as we encounter on walks), so there must be a smell or taste that prevents him from snacking on treated lawns.  

As for your question regarding the soil in a particular planter:  Several years ago I discovered that our dogs were overwhelmingly attracted to any spots in the garden that I had fertilized with bone meal (a natural fertilizer).  I would dig a hole, sprinkle some bone meal in it, and put a new plant in the ground.  An hour later the dogs would be digging around the new plant as if their lives depended upon it.  (Squirrels were also attracted to the stuff.)  Depending on what kind of potting soil was used and/or fertilizer that has been applied, this may explain why Ruffy is attracted to this particular planter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Each spring fresh growth of grass seemed tasty to several of my dogs (Retrievers and Terriers). Occasionally they vomited what seemed unchewed grass in a white froth. As grass matured they didn't bother much any more.

Some say dogs chew grass when sick, or for a spring medicine, some say they eat for pleasure. Mine never told me:P None got sick or appeared sick so I have never bothered.

Never had any that ate dirt so can't comment.

PS Living in the remote country as I do I have often chewed a long fresh new grass stem - leaning over fence while doing so as is traditional. Delicious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1