CairnTalk

I still miss you little Kat, Our hearts are broken.

montdoug

It's taken me 5 months to get up the nerve to post this, it's an amazing sense of loss that accompanies an event like happened to take our Katty girl. My little Kat, my recovering show dog, my nightly bed time arm rest has passed far to soon. A tragic accident and a tremendous loss I'm not over yet as strange as that sounds at my age. A cairn proof fence surrounds our 1 1/2 acre yard, went to great length to have it put in but a good neighbor accidentally tore a hole in it in the back corner behind some trees and being more senior than I am he forgot to fix it and worse, he forgot to tell me. After twelve years with Gus and six with Kat we had come to trust our  our Cairn enclosure and it was a long sleepless night the night Kat must have found that small tear in the fence and took off into the fields and pastures behind us undoubtedly chasing all the rabbits that live there. 

All my great neighbors looked high and low for her but it was the following morning when 2 of those neighbor's got up early to keep looking and found my little baby girl on the frontage road 2 mile from us, she had been hit by a car. At least she hadn't suffered. About an hour after they found her the old fella that damaged our fence called us in tears and told us about damaging our fence and reminded us what I already knew, he has a terrible memory.

We had her cremated and spread her ashes around our back shed that the rabbits live under, she spent hour after committed hour running around that shed trying to figure how to get the bunnies underneath, she was all Cairn. She is missed terribly. I'll never look at or mow around that shed again without thinking of her.

Gus and Kat 004.JPG

Edited by montdoug
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Oh no....I am so very sorry about your loss - I can't even imagine what you have gone through.  Hugs.

Pepper's Mom

The past months must have been agonizingly heartbreaking for you.  I understand how you feel because I too once lost a dog due to a neighbor's carelessness.  

Kat was gorgeous and I can only imagine how much you miss her.  Hugs to you and yours.

• Like 1

Oh no. So sorry for your loss montdoug. I hope in time love and happier memories will step in front of the sorrow and loss, even if those two never fully retreat. Cairns are happy in their packs and I have no doubt Kat lived a rich life in yours even though cut short. Many kind thoughts for you and anyone blessed with knowing Kat. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Min D - I’m still grieving the loss of my Cairn “Ace”. He passed in my arms 1/28/2018 of terminal cancer.

No one, nor anything said will make the pain tolerable. For what it’s worth I know how you feel.

7EAE1CD1-0D94-434D-AA47-A0A90402A1A9.jpeg

A628E579-F2BD-4AC8-9A26-1BD8F5F07AE3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

i know your heart is broken, i feel so much for you. i lost both my cairns much too early. you cannot get over it, but you can let your love for them flow into other relationships. they will be wherever your love goes. they know so much, and kat knew how much you loved her, and love her still. she doesn't want you to grieve, wants you to make the most of each day --till she sees you again. 

• Like 5

I do understand -- everyone here does -- why after five months you still grieve.  All that has ever comforted me is knowing that my life would have been so much less if I had never had my cairns in my life. Each brought such joy, such companionship, such good laughter. As Kat surely did for you. It is hard to go on without it; it would be much much worse to never have had it.  Hope you can remember the good times and treasure your thoughts and stories. I have read enough of your posts over the years to know you did well by all your pets, dogs, cat and lizards alike! Dogs do know who loves them. Kat must have too.

• Like 3

So sorry to hear of your loss.  Just went through that with our last Sealyham Terrier, Rosebud last New Year's Eve.  Since have acquired Dougal, a cute little Cairn male.  We had had Cairns before and wanted another.  Although we will always miss Rosebud, Dougal has softened the loss as we had forgotten just how entertaining, for lack of a better word, Cairns are.  I'm sure even cut short, that Kat had a wonderful life.  

• Like 1

I am so very sorry. 

All of us know the pain of this loss. Done too soon.

All of us send hugs and wishes that we could take away the pain.

We all know that we are going to feel this pain of loss one day yet choose to share our lives with these endearing and maddening creatures. Pups live in the here and now and there are times when we must strive to do the same. Not forgetting those who passed away but remembering to share good times with those around us.  

Wishing you peace, my friend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am so sorry for the pain and sadness of your loss. I can only hope that the memories of the good times that Kat brought you, will ease the rough edges of your grief.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Oh, my...I just saw this, not sure how I missed it.  I’m so sorry for your loss.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Nancy and I want to offer our most sincere appreciation for all the warm thoughts and good wishes. As a dog lover roughly since birth I have of course loved many animals from reptiles to horses with the most special relationship being with my dogs and yes, to a degree cats too. Each was in possession of a special place in my heart but some possess  a bit more special place then the others, Kat held one of those most special spots. I am so grateful to have found this site 12 years ago when I got Gus, my first small dog and my first Cairn. You folks understood what I felt then and still feel now for Gus and then Kat. This site is populated by wonderful folks who understand how these great big dogs in such a small package can steal that special place in a persons heart and how their loss effects us. I've never met anyone on this site in person but I feel like I know a lot of you as friends who share a deep love for these very special animals, Thanks to all. 

• Like 4

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

Thanks to you, Montdoug, for posting all these years and sharing your cairns with us -- happy stories and sad ones. This is a special place. Like you, I feel like the folks here are friends, though I would not recognize anyone except Lori and Demps (who I did have the privilege to meet several years ago) should I pass any of you on the street.  If you were walking with a cairn, though, I would stop and talk! 

We hurt with you when you lost Kat. As I count on all here to share joys with me, and to make the sorrows a little easier.

Hope we will hear from you again soon.  

• Like 2