CairnTalk

Kathryn

I have noticed quite a few new people posting here over the last several months (which is GREAT!).  Just wanted to point out that there is an area for Introductions, and it would be great if you share more about yourself and your dog.  It's fun to figure out where everyone lives, how they came to have a cairn, and a few of the other things beside dogs that keeps them occupied! Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I agree with you Kathryn. I also feel a little more comfortable talking with people, when I know a little about them. 

• Thanks 1

As long as people have a cairn, or had a cairn or hope to get a cairn then they must be wonderful people whoever they are or wherever they come from.

• Like 2

Guest dog person

@ Hillscreek

I agree.

On that note, is Angus back with you?   I hope, I hope........

I was very sad when you gave him up  :-(

But, then again, I understand you must have had a very good reason.

Edited by dog person

I do appreciate introductions (and was embarrassed when a new member pointed out that we didn't even have a dedicated topic for them) but will admit that on many  forums I never introduce myself formally. On forums that I actively participate in I am wordy enough that over time folks probably end up knowing more than they want to :P

I recognize that folks have differing levels of comfort with disclosure, though. I 'lurk' on dozens of forums and have probably joined a hundred over the years but if posting is required for access to primary content I bounce. In the context of forums and mailing lists I don't see 'lurking' as a bad thing at all; indeed the opposite.

I enjoy getting to know people and very much consider the forum a genuine community space. Perhaps in a way similar to physical spaces some folks will prefer to lean against the wall and enjoy the experience and ambience and music etc. without hitting the dance floor personally. 

Which is all the more why I appreciate and treasure those who are more friendly and more welcoming and more tolerant and less grouchy than I sometimes am.  There's no party if nobody comes, and only by posting do we know there is anyone here :)  Thank you all who make CairnTalk fun :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

You make a good point, Kathryn! In response, I'll speak for myself... 

I joined CairnTalk many years ago, when I was a novice on the Internet and didn't know what to expect from this site, so I was reluctant to share personal info back then. (Little did I know that I would become a supporter, a booster, and addicted to this forum)!

As time passed, I forgot all about "introductions", as I focused my efforts on participating. Now that I've posted or responded over 2,000 times (❗️), it's likely that folks here know more about me than my own family😀.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

@dogperson

You must have read my 'turn turn' story. Unfortunately age and arthritis forced me. Angus has been almost a year in his new home which is really always been like a second home to him as he has played with my friends' dogs since he was a tiny pup. He loves his new life which is fuller and broader than I can give him. I love that I see him now and then. Yes I miss him but I would not have him live where he could not run and be free to be totally his cairn self.

I share this info as I did the turn turn story because sometimes we cannot keep our cairns - for many reasons. I'm not one to generally share my private information. I joined the forum to learn about cairns and share with others the life of my bouncy boy.  

But as Sanford points out we do learn about each other here and there because  of the differing situations we find ourselves in regarding location, climate, family circumstances and the way they all affect how we and our cairns get along.

• Thanks 1

Guest dog person

@ Hillscreek

It must have been terribly difficult.  I am so glad that you found a way for him to be happy and still be in your life.

I'm no spring chicken either, I have two dogs now, one is 9 years old, the cairn is 5.   They motivate me to go to the gym every day and to do the best I can to take care of myself.

The poodle mix is going in for cataract surgery, very soon.   I will let folks here know how it goes.  All kinds of treatment options available now,  not like years ago.